This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meltdown from Hell

This happened to me back in February. At quarter to five, we still have a fair number of customers in the office, when I become aware of the most unholy screeching coming from the public bathrooms. There is a woman in there pleading with a 5 year old to leave, and the "child" (quote marks, because as far as I am concerned, the jury is still out on that one) is making this absolutely horrendous non-human howling.

I could see other customers turn and look at the bathroom door in horror. I have heard a lot of screaming and tantruming kids in my time, but this was at a whole different level.

Finally it is 5:05. The rest of the customers have left or are walking out the door. The woman and child are now in the lobby, where he is rolling on the floor and she is ineffectually flapping her hands at him. "Oh, please, get up. Be a good boy. Put your coat on." He is ignoring her.

One of the clerks said, "Ma'am, we're closed now. You are going to have to leave."

Her answer: "Oh, he's not quite ready to leave."

Oh, really?!?!? I said, "Well, I'm ready, so he is leaving." I went out into the lobby. I had thought the woman was the mother, but when I got out there, I was pretty certain that she was a grandmother. She was well into her late 50's, and she was terrified of him. "Please be careful," she said. "He is very aggressive." Considering he was lying on his back, aiming kicks at my shins, I could see that.

I grabbed his upper left arm, grandma took the right, and I proceeded to march him to the door. Immediately, he clamped his jaws down on my hand, and did not let go. Pit bulls the world over were impressed as he attempted to bite off a chunk of flesh. I continued to move him to the door. This pint sized monster was leaving, even if I lost a hand in the process. I didn't even say ouch. He was so outta here. I later told the others that I didn't pull my hand free because: (1) pulling it out might have made the damage worse, and (2) if I pulled loose, the very next move was a punch at his face.

Halfway to the door, one of the clerks screams: "He is biting her!" Grandma starts sobbing, "Please stop hurting people! Stop it!" She pried his mouth apart, and the moment I was loose, I stuck my hand under his arm and continued to frog march him to the door.

He kept trying to bite me, but he couldn't get at me. Once we made it to the door, Grandma went through first, and caught him as I threw him at her. His mouth was snapping like a turtle and he was also trying to kick, but it is hard to kick when you are launched in the air.

Looking back at it, I am surprised I didn't get in trouble, but Grandma was mortified by what happened and would not have complained, and I don't think Damien was even verbal despite his size. My region manager did tell me if something like that happens again, I am to call the police and have the cops remove them.

I did end up at the emergency room, and was pleasantly surprised that he wasn't rabid, although I did have to have tetanus shots and Xrays.
    To seek it with thimbles, to seek it with care;
    To pursue it with forks and hope;
    To threaten its life with a railway share;
    To charm it with forks and hope!

Wow... just wow.

If that kid had those kinds of behavioral issues, he should never have been sent out alone with Grandma who apparently is unable to control him.
    A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Oh, I've seen some kids like that, but they're stories for fratching. This one sounds like a major problem. I wonder what would have happened if the cops had showed up?
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

You occasionally read stories where the police either maced or tased a child, and the tone of the story is usually: Why would the police do that?

After this kid, I know exactly why.

Comment

Hoooooly crap.

Or perhaps "unholy" is a better word.

That's a whole different level of misbehavior right there.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

This is how my son gets sometimes. The screeching and violence and everything. You sometimes just gotta pick him up and physically move him. It's a little harder now that he's pushing 180lbs and damn, but he's strong when he's in that stage. So I'm going to say autistic and very much so.

Comment

Chiming in with the "autistic meltdown" theory as well. Lil' Zel doesn't have a meltdown in public usually (at least while he's with me or Mr Zel, we can tell if/when something upsets him so we can diffuse the conflict way ahead if needed), but when he has one, he goes NUCLEAR to the point that he actually even can't remember what happened.

I feel sorry for everyone involved, I bet the grandmother wanted to get him out of the store ASAP if only she had the physical strenght to do it herself, and I even bet that "Damien" feels some remorse about it now.
              A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Yeah, Face is like that too. Can't remember exactly what went on, but knew he made a lot of hurt feelings, and feels genuine remorse when it's over. And I agree on nuclear, I'm not a small woman, nor am I weak, but he can knock me down when he's in a meltdown. It's unreal.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                  I'm thinking that there may be something else going on - I used to babysit an autistic boy that was a lot like this. I had enough sense to never take him anywhere while I was babysitting because it could, and would, devolve into the exact same sort of thing. I babysat so the mom could go shopping in peace because too much outside stimulation would trigger this sort of behaviour.
                  That's actually exactly what I was thinking, particularly as he appeared to be non-verbal.

Comment

Wow...

*offer homemade vanilla cupcakes hot from the oven* You got nerves of steel from getting bit. Did you bleed?

I feel bad for the kid and the relatives. That has to be hard.
                    Last edited by Caffienated_Caramel; 08-27-2013, 02:45 AM.

Comment

If you're going to do stuff like that in the future, be careful! Get some training in handling situations like that; including the physical training.

The human mouth is full of stuff that can infect other humans. (Talk with a doctor or nurse about it.)

As for the child; some sort of mental/behavioural illness, some sort of trauma that generated behaviour issues, or really really terrible parenting. If the first two, I feel sorry for everyone involved. If the third, I feel sorry for the kid, whoever tries to help him, and a bit sorry for the parents.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I didn't really bleed. It looked more like road rash, so I lost the top layer of skin.

As for training, like I said, in the future I would call the police. They are trained to handle difficult situations.

And finally, for the kid: I would not be surprised if there was a diagnosis there. He had been quiet up until the point the grandmother finished her business and he didn't want to leave. Then all hell broke loose. I would say that if grandma cannot handle him and is afraid of him, she should not be taking him around with her while she does errands. The potential for disaster is lurking.

Comment

Quoth Mondestrucken View Post
                          You occasionally read stories where the police either maced or tased a child, and the tone of the story is usually: Why would the police do that?

After this kid, I know exactly why.
                          Between the hotel and the towing company, I have been present at a lot of arrests, and I am really AMAZED at the restraint police officers show.
                          And for the record, being young/small doesn't mean you aren't physically dangerous, a lesson I took to heart years ago when I was stabbed by a 12 year old.
                          Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                            I'm thinking that there may be something else going on - I used to babysit an autistic boy that was a lot like this.
                            Sounds similar to the autistic son of a friend of mine too. He will not get violent but he will cry, yell, throw tantrums and refuse to move unless he is carried out. Or unless his dad is there. Not his mom - his dad *only*.
                            FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

Quoth Mondestrucken View Post
                              I didn't really bleed. It looked more like road rash, so I lost the top layer of skin.

As for training, like I said, in the future I would call the police. They are trained to handle difficult situations.

And finally, for the kid: I would not be surprised if there was a diagnosis there. He had been quiet up until the point the grandmother finished her business and he didn't want to leave. Then all hell broke loose. I would say that if grandma cannot handle him and is afraid of him, she should not be taking him around with her while she does errands. The potential for disaster is lurking.
                              Calling the police for an autistic kid is somewhat excessive. If grandma makes a reappearance, I'd suggest providing some information for HER benefit. Also a "fidget toy" may/may not be useful.
                              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                              X