This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Likely scammer, possible card thief

A few days ago, I picked up a passenger (note that I don't call him a customer) who just needed a ride about a half mile away... but he didn't have any money with him, "maybe my girlfriend has something, I dunno." Well... once in a while I'll drive someone for free, but that's MY decision, not the passenger's. (Mostly, I drove the guy because I had a feeling it would be faster to do so, rather than try to get him out without the ride.)

So I drove him, and when I dropped him off he said he'd be back in a bit with payment, to which I basically said, "Don't worry about it." (Translation: getting another call will make me more money than twiddling my thumbs waiting for you to come back.) Distance traveled: 0.4 miles. Meter when I dropped him off: $4.45. Total time wasted: 14 minutes.

I left to handle another call, which turned out to be a no-show. (In fact, a completely bogus address, but that's another story.) I get another call, and hey, it's back to the same extended-stay inn I dropped the first guy off at.

No, wait, it was the first guy, calling for a new ride... but this time, it wasn't just a half mile he wanted to go, it was THREE CITIES OVER. (For those keeping score: pickup in Tolleson, past Laveen, through Phoenix, destination: Tempe. Approximate distance: 21+ miles... and he didn't have an exact address; "I'll know it when I see it.")

Now let's bear in mind that this idiot had just told me less than half an hour earlier that he had no money. I remind him of that detail and tell him that he needs to prepay or GTFO of my cab.

He pulls out no less than three corporate credit cards, all in the name of PREFERRED CUSTOMER (seriously). I shrug and run the first one through... denied (shocker), but with a message that I have never seen outside of movies:

DECLINED
    KEEP CARD
    Not wanting to get involved (my bad, I know, civic duty or whatever) I keep that little detail to myself and hand the card back to him with my patented "Sorry, declined, have another form of payment?" speech. Rather than try another card (which I'm pretty sure would've also been declined) he then changes tactics, asking for another free ride, this time "only" 3 miles away (=~$10) to a bus stop. Ignoring the fact that HE HAS NO MONEY FOR THE BUS EITHER, I feel that I've wasted enough time with this idiot...

Me: No. If you want a ride anywhere, it's cash, and only cash, up front. Since you don't have any, it's time for you to get out of my cab.
    Scammer: But what am I going to do?
    Me: I suggest returning to your room. Get out.
    Scammer: But my mom can pay you...
    Me: Unless your mom is here, now, with cash in hand, no! Get! Out!

Bear in mind, people tell me that I am somewhat intimidating in person, and flat out scary when I'm angry. Exit scammer, stage right, pretty damn fast. Distance traveled: 0 (not including what it took me to get there from the bogus call). Meter: never turned on. Time wasted: HALF AN HOUR.

As soon as he was out of my cab, I locked the doors, pulled around the corner, and then called dispatch and let them know what happened, including the part about the previous free ride. End result: the dispatcher I spoke with kept an eye on that property for a few hours and, as far as I know, prevented SeƱor Scammer from wasting anybody else's time (or worse). Added bonus: his cell phone number got flagged as owing me money ($4.45) and added to Big Green Cab Co's blacklist. (Won't do much, really, except prevent him from getting a Big Green Cab from that phone, unless he coughs up the cash. In person, at the yard, 9 miles from where he's staying. No, he's never going to pay, are you kidding me?)
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Yeah, generally if you get a keep card warning that means it is a stolen card.
    "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

Quoth Heksubah View Post
      Yeah, generally if you get a keep card warning that means it is a stolen card.
      That's what I thought. But I'm not a bank, I don't have a manager (or whatever) to back me up on keeping the cards, and I don't have security guards to back me up in case someone gets violent. (I'm not terribly worried about someone throwing a punch, but I had no idea if he had, for example, a gun. We just had a driver get shot last week; I'm not volunteering to be the next one.) I reported to dispatch, and the ball is in their court about whether or not to, say, call the police.

Besides, sooner or later he'll try to use the cards in a place that will keep them.
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd

Comment

One possibility here: The card might NOT have been 'stolen', per se. If it was a corporate card, I'm betting he just found out he doesn't have a job anymore.

Comment

Wow you work on my part of town, hmmm I'm picturing the drive now..
          Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
          pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
            That's what I thought. But I'm not a bank, I don't have a manager (or whatever) to back me up on keeping the cards, and I don't have security guards to back me up in case someone gets violent. (I'm not terribly worried about someone throwing a punch, but I had no idea if he had, for example, a gun. We just had a driver get shot last week; I'm not volunteering to be the next one.) I reported to dispatch, and the ball is in their court about whether or not to, say, call the police.

Besides, sooner or later he'll try to use the cards in a place that will keep them.
            quite frankly he might have tried violence had you tried you probably did the right thing here.
            Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
            Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Whenever I took a cab and the cab driver didn't have one of those card machines to scan my debit card, I had him pull up to a nearby ATM so I could get the money, and also as a sign of trust, kept my backpack in the back seat so the driver doesn't think I'm going to "ditch the cab." The drivers never got scammed from me, and you can be damn sure that local cab company will respond to my calls in the future!

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                ... I don't have security guards to back me up
                in case someone gets violent. .... no idea if he had, for example, a gun...
                QFT.

I have never understood how/why banks expect some frontline wageslave to be their enforcer. People go nuts when you accidentally stiff them on change, there's no way I'm putting my life on the line so BoA has less paperwork.

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
                  One possibility here: The card might NOT have been 'stolen', per se. If it was a corporate card, I'm betting he just found out he doesn't have a job anymore.
                  Possibly... but considering where he's staying (you'd have to be familiar with the area) I'm guessing probably not. Also, he had 3 cards, he only tried running the one through.

Quoth wraiths_crono View Post
                  Wow you work on my part of town, hmmm I'm picturing the drive now..
                  I-10 -> Loop 202 -> Mill Ave -> he jumps out at the first red light on Mill and I'm screwed.

(I work all areas of town; I'm just more familiar and comfortable with the west side.)

Quoth gremcint View Post
                  quite frankly he might have tried violence had you tried you probably did the right thing here.
                  He might have, yes. I didn't get that sorta vibe from him, but as I said, I'd wasted enough time with him regardless.

Quoth downforit2008 View Post
                  Whenever I took a cab and the cab driver didn't have one of those card machines to scan my debit card, I had him pull up to a nearby ATM so I could get the money, and also as a sign of trust, kept my backpack in the back seat so the driver doesn't think I'm going to "ditch the cab." The drivers never got scammed from me, and you can be damn sure that local cab company will respond to my calls in the future!
                  Pretty common, really.

Quoth sms001 View Post
                  QFT.

I have never understood how/why banks expect some frontline wageslave to be their enforcer. People go nuts when you accidentally stiff them on change, there's no way I'm putting my life on the line so BoA has less paperwork.
                  I don't think I've ever stiffed anyone in the cab. If the fare isn't an even dollar amount (which is pretty rare) I round the fare down. I generally only round up if it's $.10 or less -- $4.45 is $4; $4.95 is $5. It's damn rare that I have someone insist on exact change... which is good, because I don't usually have any. (Exception: there's one voucher account where the passengers have a co-pay of $1.50, and we're not allowed to accept tips on that account. If I get one of those calls, I have to make sure I have a couple quarters handy.)

And while I agree with the sentiment, there are probably legitimate reasons to make the wageslaves the cardkeepers. I have no idea what they might be, but I'm sure they exist.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                    People go nuts when you accidentally stiff them on change
                    Quoth Deserted View Post
                    I don't think I've ever stiffed anyone in the cab.
                    I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear - that was a generalization to contrast a regular clerk forgetting a nickle against them keeping a credit card.

Comment

Quoth downforit2008 View Post
                      Whenever I took a cab and the cab driver didn't have one of those card machines to scan my debit card, I had him pull up to a nearby ATM so I could get the money, and also as a sign of trust, kept my backpack in the back seat so the driver doesn't think I'm going to "ditch the cab."
                      I've left a shoe before(had nothing else on me), how far can I run wearing one shoe?
                      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                        I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear - that was a generalization to contrast a regular clerk forgetting a nickle against them keeping a credit card.
                        Ah, yes. Sorry. I shouldn't post when I'm tired.

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                        I've left a shoe before(had nothing else on me), how far can I run wearing one shoe?
                        One driver I know had a guy try to pull the "gotta go inside and get money" trick. (Often not a trick, but still.) The driver told him to leave behind his [insert expensive name brand here] shoes... the guy left his shoes and never came back.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                          ... the guy left his shoes and never came back.
                          Yeah, I guess if you're willing to steal a ride from a cabbie, it's not much of a moral stretch to steal a new pair of shoes.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                            Yeah, I guess if you're willing to steal a ride from a cabbie, it's not much of a moral stretch to steal a new pair of shoes.
                            Got it in one. I give even odds that the shoes were stolen in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                            X