Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choices and failure to act (with a good story!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choices and failure to act (with a good story!)

So this is coming from the sites I've been floating at recently (not my regular site)

Quick bg: I work for an after-school care provider as a floater, meaning I can be at different schools every week. At the moment I have one regular shift (my "regular site") and the remaining two are floating shifts.

It's a CHOICE, not forced upon them!

This came from one of the schools, which has a VERY small group, almost to the point of being single-staffed some days. I rocked up early so I could find my way around and met the manager of that site. Nice lady. She then informs me about her usual Friday practice, which was to provide a movie for those kids that wanted it. However, one parent flipped out and believed that the kids were being FORCED to watch a movie with no other choices available. Needless to say, instead of raising it with the manager on-site, they went ABOVE her and complained to the regional person. As a result, she is no longer allowed to put movies on.

And the kids during the day do the same things...?

This came from another school where this particular child was the reason for me being there as opposed to another staff member. I'll sum up his behaviour in one word: unpredictable. He would occasionally throw tantrums, throwing everything around the room where possible. He has also kicked things and broken things (including at home). He also appears to have a problem with the manager on-site (he didn't have a problem with me though, so we suspect it's not a "he hates women" thing).

The parents are also divorced with the story that dad had a really bad temper and the child in question saw some things that were inappropriate. This of course, has resulted in the following expectations/excuses from the child's mother:

1. He's meant to be entertained from the moment he walks in the door (during school holidays, this isn't an issue because the kids are entertained from the moment they walk in. It's during the school term that this is an issue.) and that he shouldn't have to go through routines and such.

2. He's only young. (there are several kindergarten students who have no problem following the routine)

3. He's been cooped up at school all day. (So have the rest of the children)

4. He's been through trauma (while that may be true, there is THERAPY for that! And if you are sending your child to a low-fee private school, surely you can afford to send him to a therapist! Also I'm not sure that traumatic children squeal at their friends and bang on the windows after school)

We also suspect that mum may have a role in this, as he has been known to throw tantrums when she (and ONLY) she rocks up, but has minimal issues with his grandmother (who picks him up). From what we understand, the mother is also refusing to send the child to therapy or if the child is going through therapy, we are not aware of it. (in other words, communication fail!)

Well at least YOU recognised it

Over at another school, there is one child who's a bit older than the child mentioned above. He's been described as "not fitting in" with the ethos of said school, but evidently the parents wanted to send him to the school. Either way, he displayed some anger issues. It took a term and a half before the parents finally figured they'd send him along to therapy and he appears to have improved as a result.

Yes, it is her responsibility!

This one is not from either school, but something going around of late. A parent complained that a child had lost an item of clothing. At primary school age this is VERY common, with hats, jumpers, drink bottles and other items often getting "lost". In this case, it was her shoes. Now, we are VERY strict on the wearing of shoes for OHS reasons: that is, shoes on at ALL times. Including sandpit, gym and indoors.

Somehow, kid loses her shoes. Does the parent?

a) blame the child for taking her shoes off in the first place and help her find them?
    b) follow up about the lost shoes to see if there was something malicious that happened? (ie shoes were hidden as a prank)
    c) Blame the program and/or school for losing said shoes and insist that it's their responsibility for her items of clothing?

If you picked c) congratulations, you are the parent mentioned above! Also lost shoes and other items of clothing are a fact of primary school life and they WILL happen. Otherwise, don't send your kid to school with incredibly expensive shoes!

wtf?

All I know about this one (from regular site) is that a parent opted to abuse a child for an incident that happened at school. Now we require that the parents go and sign their child out first THEN go and pick up their kid instead of previous instances where the parent picks up the kid then signs them out.

Finally

Just a friendly note to parents: we run on mobile phones primarily as management are often floating between sites (My state managers are awesome!). If a phone cuts out in the middle of a call and they don't respond immediately, it is NOT because they don't care. It is more than likely that they are floating to another site and want you to actually respond, particularly if you are screening calls.

Anyway, that's the stories I have so far.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

If she says that the shoes are the school's responsibility, then the shoe's belong to the school when they are found. At that point the school can charge a rental fee to the parents.

Comment

About the shoes...
      How does a child leave school NOT wearing shoes? Or leaving after-school care? Or anywhere? How do you not notice when you pick up your kid that his feet are stocking-clad? Wouldn't you notice right then, and ask about it right then?
      The same for a kid coming back from the playground...without shoes? How does a parent not notice that?
      The only thing I can think of is if the child is wearing rubbers/boots upon pick-up, and the harried parent does not notice that no shoes are in the kid's bag.

As for the bad-behaving kids...I can suspect there may be levels of autism involved. A child with even mild autism can be unable to contain his emotions, and has a great deal of difficulty dealing with others. Any change in routine can set him off. I think those parents need to have their kids evaluated right away. At the very least, if the after-school workers know about it, they can adjust their game plan for dealing with the children.

You're a braver man than I am, Gunga Din, for putting up with kids AND their parents every day....
      I no longer fear HELL.
      I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Quoth Enjis View Post
        As for the bad-behaving kids...I can suspect there may be levels of autism involved.
        Or the fact that the kid doesn't have autism and is in fact a bad kid due to bad parenting. Or the fact that she named a couple of these kids abused and this are in need of therapy.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
          Or the fact that the kid doesn't have autism and is in fact a bad kid due to bad parenting. Or the fact that she named a couple of these kids abused and this are in need of therapy.
          We've suspected emotional abuse in the case of kid #2. He has similar issues in the classroom as well and I'm actually surprised that they haven't referred the kid on themselves. Part of me really wishes that they'd make the evaluation a condition of his enrolment, but I know that it wouldn't happen.

As for the shoe kid, the only other reason why I can suspect that she lost her shoes was that she had come back from a camp or a swimming program (most states do this as part of the curriculum...kids are taught basic swimming survival skills) or that she had lost her sports shoes (a number of the sites require kids to wear a sports uniform for PE.)
          Last edited by fireheart; 09-01-2013, 12:18 AM.

Comment

It's amazing what kids can lose. Parents always thought it was a joke that we required them to label their child's underpants. No, I'm not joking. They WILL take them off at some point and every pair of Cinderella undies looks like every other pair.

One morning a little girl came in and within 10 minutes had permanently lost an heirloom knitted cardigan that had been her grandmother's. Mom was very upset, but here's a thought lady; don't send your kid to school in irreplaceable heirloom clothing! Save it for special occasions!

Comment

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
              One morning a little girl came in and within 10 minutes had permanently lost an heirloom knitted cardigan that had been her grandmother's. Mom was very upset, but here's a thought lady; don't send your kid to school in irreplaceable heirloom clothing! Save it for special occasions!
              Ok, that's a new one for me (we do get some preschool kids in a couple of days per week)

We've had some issues during the school holidays as well with what the kids are wearing. Short version is that the kids need to be sun safe and they MUST wear closed in shoes. One kid on my very first day wore flip flops.
              (Sun safe- t-shirt at the bare minimum, midriff covered and shorts or skirts that go to a decent length)

Comment

Working...
              X