This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping Woes

Ah, Last night was just so fun. As background, i work for ExFed now. The one with the planes. Haven't posted in quite a bit because i left the food industry, and where i work now i like working there. Not much suck besides people shipping the worst boxes.

Why?
    So last night, we had a few calloffs. It's normal to be 2-3 people undermanned. We're all used to it. What we aren't used to is having 2 more people taken from us and sent to others. So we were 4 people undermanned minimum. We are not used to that. Normally we have 6-8 people, not counting team leaders, on the line putting packages in containers. We had 6 people, counting 2 team leaders, on the line. That sucks, but alright, i'll go with it. We can still do it. Annoyance Level: 2.

That's expensive

My slide indicates that it is full. WHICH IS A LIE, because i'm looking at an empty slide. So that means a box is stuck up top. Joy upon joy. Coworker A climbs up and frees the box. But as he is coming down, i hear laughter. Don't usually hear that, so i say "Hey, what's up? What are you laughing for?" In answer to my question, i see a network hub* slide down. Yes, no box. Then i see the wires in the bags following it. He then appears, and shows me the box they used to ship it. Looked like Jaws got a hold of the box. There were 3 tears, RIPS, in the box. I have NOT seen a box with those rips before. Mostly, boxes get crushed. Not JAWD. Alright then, spending quite a bit of money to overnight a crap box. Oh wait, what's this in the box? What are they using to protect the box? Someone took 20 of these (http://aphnetworks.com/review/func_s...custom/001.JPG) tore them in half, and used it as padding. For an electronic piece. I've only seen one other box that was in crappier condition than this one, and it was carrying smaller boxes of carparts. I just had to shake my head. No annoyance level gained, but i laughed at whoever spent the money to overnight, and didnt spend it to protect the shipment. Which leads me to....

Does Florida have a Shortage?

I'm manning a slide that normally requires 2 people, for the amount of volume it produces. Annoyance Level: 3. So i'm picking up packages, and i notice the bottom is wet on a few. Wincing, I look at the slide underneath the packages. It's a lake. Groaning, I call the team lead, and start to investigate. I take off 15 boxes before i realize whatever it is, it's further up the slide. So I start climbing the slide. At this point, i realize I'm still pretty hungry, and I'm smelling Dr. Pepper. I shrug it off as my imagination, and give up the search as I'm halfway up the slide, and i still see nothing. I get back down, and get to work. 5 minutes later, as I'm clearing the other slide (yes, i had 2 slides to do) the Haz people comes around to take a look. They start clearing and cleaning, then boxes get stuck up the slide. I go BACK up to clear it, and the first box blocking it is our culprit. How do i know? Because its a box of Dr. Pepper. But how do i know it's Dr. Pepper? Because whoever shipped this box looked like be bought it from a store, and slapped a label on it. No box, nothing. All the cans ruptured. So whoever shipped it just spent 5.99 at the store, then at LEAST 30 bucks to overnight the Dr. Pepper, and did NOT spend ANYTHING AT ALL to ensure it gets to the destination intact. Smart. Now the boxes are going to stick to the slide, requiring me to get on the slide multiple times to unstick the boxes. Annoyance Level: 7

Who's supposed to do this?

So, also had to go out to the flight to help. Mmkay, that's cool. Extra hour. Got that done. Then our lead tells me, "Alright Kriv, we're going to the flight in the next gate. They need help." "me: Oh? What do they need help with?" "TL: Oh, they need it loaded."

So we start on it. Not to go into great details, but naturally, one tug is crap, they shuffled the load order, and by the end, we had 1 manager, 8 Team Leads, and 3 regular employees, myself included, out there. Needless to say, after seeing how many chiefs there were, coworker and i bailed. We were outnumbered, discretion is the better part of valor at this point. (besides, they were nearly done. And the manager was standing around, looking. Didn't want to attract attention) Annoyance Level: 7 (Unchanged)

So, get back, and my team lead again comes up and goes, "Hey buddy, how's it going?". I'm wary immediately. He goes, "Can you help the other guys in the line next to us move all those dollies in the back?". Since i do like having hours, i say yes. I get back there, and he is the ONLY ONE of his 50+ members of his line doing this. Annoyance Level: 9 This has happened to me before, so i just start putting stuff together, then making room at the destination. We get it done faster than he would have alone.

Left work an hour later than i should have, with a grand Annoyance Level of 9. That's pretty hard to obtain, seeing as how i like to work where i am. It's a vast improvement over fast food, though i dont get as many hours. I really didn't want to help, because of the previous stories and how annoyed i was. When coming back from the other flight, all i was thinking about was going home, but since i've been on the receiving end of no help, I stayed a little. Besides, Now he owes me.

* http://img.directindustry.com/images...73-2359919.jpg That's nearly what it was, but double the ports.
    Last edited by Krivak; 09-05-2013, 06:51 PM.

If the Dr. Pepper was being shipped to Florida, it could've been going to one of the Disney World resorts. Disney World only sells the Coke products, and some people just have to have their non-Coke drinks. However, the better option is to use one of the grocery delivery services that deliver to the hotels.

Comment

Yep. It was still odd though.

Today went smoothly. Another box broke, but instead of a server or Dr. Pepper, it contained blood. And guess which employee didn't notice it until it got on his hands? :/

As an aside, if you are shipping ExFed, please ensure you get a sturdy box, and plenty of padding. Boxes WILL be dinged a bit. Mostly because of the sorting process. ExFed facility where i live goes through ALOT of packages in a small time frame. My line itself usually gets 12k packages minimum. So plenty of boxes in a small time frame. Add to the fact the sort is on the second floor, and the containers on the first floor, means you have to have a "slide" where the boxes come down to be put into containers. Those are the main culprits. In case anyone wondered why the boxes might have dings...or worse. Thrown packages are a very distant fourth as far as the reason why boxes are damaged. VERY DISTANT. Though i'm not saying anything about the product inside....(and no, I do not throw boxes.)
      Last edited by Krivak; 09-06-2013, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Regarding the Dr. Pepper? Unless ExFed uses pressurized cargo compartments those cans/bottles were going to burst in any case. A waterproof package that could contain the inevitable spill would have been the only effective package and then only to contain the mess.

You put an over atmosphere pressurized can in an unpressurized cargo hold and you are pretty much guaranteed to have those things burst once the plane reaches altitude and the pressure in the hold drops.
        You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Why the hell did someone FedEx blood?

Comment

strawbabies, the same reason why someone would ship a head?

Comment

Wouldn't the shipment of blood and blood products be heavily regulated? As in, has to be in THIS type of container, prominently marked with THOSE warnings, etc etc?

Edit to add: Oh, good point Aethian. I was assuming that this was blood shipped by someone in medicine or research, to someone else in medicine or research. (Such as shipping a rare blood type to be used in surgery.)
              Last edited by Seshat; 09-06-2013, 11:16 PM.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Who ACCEPTS these things? The poor hub I might understand, but the DP? Crazy.

And sorry 'bout your annoyance level - hope it has dwindled.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  I was assuming that this was blood shipped by someone in medicine or research, to someone else in medicine or research. (Such as shipping a rare blood type to be used in surgery.)
                  Obviously, they packed it incorrectly (if it even was for a legitimate purpose), or else it wouldn't have ended up all over the OP. And blood goes bad if not properly refrigerated/frozen. If they were a medical professional, they should've known better.

Comment

Quoth strawbabies View Post
                    Obviously, they packed it incorrectly (if it even was for a legitimate purpose), or else it wouldn't have ended up all over the OP. And blood goes bad if not properly refrigerated/frozen. If they were a medical professional, they should've known better.
                    People do weird things, I don't take this as a obviously time.

Comment

Regarding the blood, it's a testing company that ships it, i believe. They ship it in a regular kind of box, but with a specialized liner on the inside. In the entire time i've worked there, this is the first time i've ever seen or heard of one of those being ruptured to the point it spilled out. I Think the sort process, or potentially one of the people who unloaded the can, abused the box juuuuust enough for it to stress beyond normal. And as for it getting on me, me and coworker B were hurrying to get it packed in a container, as the slide WAS full and if it gets full, the slide diverts to another, and it fills that one if we dont hurry. We just didnt look until we felt it. :/
                      @Seshat
                      And yes, they have the warnings, but we HAVE to be done with all the packages within 2 and a half hours before our airplane must leave. Unless it gets diverted to our haz agent or it has the markings which require the hazard can (Which they do not), then it goes into the can. Blood or Urine for testing are not considered hazard, and not very many special things are required. And as this company pays for overnight priority, they dont need coolers or anything, just something to hold the product/stuff until it gets to the facility.

@Sms yes, it went down for the next day. It's just normally i dont have that many things going wrong/being crappy.

Edit: The blood thing didnt bother me oversomuch, just another annoyance. It only got on part of my hand, and on part of my pants, because i wiped my hand on my pants before i found out what it was. They said it was supposed to be sterile, a culture or something. They offered a hep shot (free) if i had wanted it, so there's another reason to love where i work.
                      Last edited by Krivak; 09-07-2013, 09:07 AM.

Comment

*tilts* The only package I have ever had destroyed in such a way that the product was damaged and it was through USPS or more specifically the carrier we had. He loved trying to squeeze boxes between mailboxes, rather than drive up the driveway and honk. No getting out of the car necessary, just honk and we'll be out in a second to claim package. Damaged a PSU beyond use and I lit into his postmaster for that. Not that it did any good.

I'm so very glad he retired. I was getting tired of carrying my phone down to the mailbox with me.

Although if you want fun, take a look at my Post of NO Smarts thread :P I think I see now what might have happened.. Thanks
                        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

lol, just read your posts from march. For Princess Peach, sounds like no one scanned it. Personally, i haven't scanned a few packages myself. The biggest reason for that is because whoever printed off the label to be shipped to the destination did something wrong, and made the ASTRA unreadable by our scanner at the hub. None of us at our line can reprint the shipping label, so since we cannot scan it, we just put in the container without scanning it. Much better than letting stay an extra day to reprint Mr. Label.

And as one guy said for Carmen Sandiego, what probably happened is someone scanned the package into the truck/plane container, realized it couldn't fit, and had to bump it. Though quite honestly, happening three days in a row is bad luck. There was not any reason for it to take that long though. I work for Express, not Ground, and they are actually different companies with the corporation. While Express may cost more, we tend to ship packages to the same state you live in as fast as we can from the hub, either INDH or MEMH.

Most planes from Express tend to go one of the 2 main hubs, INDH and MEMH, because they have the most flights going to all the states. You might not have a flight going to Colorado from Georgia, but INDH does. INDH has about 50-80 flights a night during the week. MEMH has more.
                          Last edited by Krivak; 09-08-2013, 04:19 AM.

Comment

EWWWW on the blood issue. You are a lot more laidback about it then I would have been...picture a chubby blond lady running around in circles screaming hysterically until someone downs her with an elephant dart.

I would marvel at the idiocy of customers who ship items in clearly the wrong containers or in damaged boxes not fit for shipping but sadly, nothing surprises me anymore.

This reminds me of a time I brought in a big cardboard box of Christmas presents to Mailboxes ETC or someplace like that. The presents were beautifully wrapped but the box was this gnarly torn, stained POS. It was just the only one I had at my house. So I drag this nasty thing in the store and the employee gives me the most withering look you can imagine, very slowly raises a single eyebrow and says (you have to imagine this in an Alan Rickman style drawl) "...Did you bring that in to be repaired?"

Comment

Quoth mysticgirl5 View Post
                              "...Did you bring that in to be repaired?"
                              It needs a corrugation transplant, please.
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X