Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reading comprehension, motherf***er! Do you have it?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading comprehension, motherf***er! Do you have it?!

That's what I've wanted to shout at a few of my customers lately. I already posted about aliteracy and willful stupidity. It's getting worse.

Had one particularly nasty lady a couple of days ago bring up two 100g packets of fabric dye. I rang them up, $7.99 each. She immediately cops a major attitude, yells that the price on the hook read $2.99 and demands them for that price. I go back and look. The $2.99 tag was for the 50g packet, and clearly stated so. (Yes, I agree about the price discrepancy, I know it's insane, but I didn't set the price and that's not what this is about anyway.)

So I head back and explain to her that the tag was for the smaller packet. She insisted that they were on that hook and demanded them for that price. I called a manager over the headset about that, the SM said no go, we can't sell them for that price just because someone placed them on the wrong hook. I relayed the information to the SC.

"I'm not leaving here," she snapped. And I'm not paid enough to put up with her crap. I called a manager to my register. A different one came up and after receiving a heaping helping of bitchitude from the SC, authorized the price adjustment. Fine, whatever, on your head be it, and hopefully we'll never see that SC again.

Another genius came up to me today to complain about the coupons in the flyer. She complained that the coupons were confusing and demanded to know why she could only use certain coupons and not others. I pointed to the expriation dates on the various coupons. "This one here expires tomorrow, this one starts today and is good until the 14th, this one starts the 15th, and this one expired the 5th."

"Well, don't you think that's unfair?!"

"Ma'am, these coupons were mailed out September 25, as stated here. That means those coupons without starting dates were good from the moment you received them until the expiration date. These others have specific dates clearly stated on the coupons."

"Well, I don't think that's fair! That's too confusing!"

Yes, I'm sure reading is terribly confusing. And it's so unfair that coupons expire, even though that's pretty much the nature of a coupon, that it's a limited time offer. Yeah, whatever, don't poke your crayons into your nose, dear.

Another one later contested the prices on fabric I rung up for her. Specific quilting prints were $1.00 off, she insisted the sign said 40% off. So we walked over to the aisle where the fabrics in question were.

I pointed to the correct sign. "$1 off Specific Quilting Prints."

"But that sign says 40% off!" she pointed to a sign on the bottom shelf.

I pointed to the writing underneath the "40%" and read aloud, "'40% off the fleece blanket kits'. That's these things right here." I indicated the fleece kits on the shelf underneath the bolts of fabric. She meekly accepted the price.

Look, these signs and sales flyers are printed in standard American English, in an easily readable font. There is no mistaking what it says, as long as you actually read it. I know I've ranted about this before, but seriously, this is getting old. Read The Fg Sign / Coupon / Directions already!!!
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

I get this all the time with

Name
    Or Current Resident
    Address

Or

Current Resident
    Or Name
    Address

And people will cross stuff out and write on it that they don't live there. I love when people rudely ask if I know how to read because I should know that *name* doesn't live there. I usually take the item back after a blank look of me pointing out the current resident part. I had one lady so belligerent with me that I thanked her for letting me know the place was vacant and I would hold onto the mail for the standard 10 days and then send it back as no COA. When she started spluttering that she lived there I asked if she was the current resident and when she said yes I handed back the offending item and said this is yours then. I still think she doesn't get it.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
      and hopefully we'll never see that SC again.
      I don't know. If I found a place where I could just make up prices and get to pay that instead, it'd be the only place I'd shop.

That's strike one against your MiM - encouraging the behaviour. Strike two is running up the prices for all the honest custys. (And let's face it - that woman knew what was up and essentially "Stole by Tantrum.") Maybe that's where the extra dollar comes into play - gotta make up the lost profit on too many thieves taking the 100g pack at the 50g price.
      Last edited by sms001; 10-12-2013, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
        I don't know. If I found a place where I could just make up prices and get to pay that instead, it'd be the only place I'd shop.

That's strike one against your MiM - encouraging the behaviour. Strike two is running up the prices for all the honest custys. (And let's face it - that woman knew what was up and essentially "Stole by Tantrum.") Maybe that's where the extra dollar comes into play - gotta make up the lost profit on too many thieves taking the 100g pack at the 50g price.
        100% agreed, you will be seeing this SC a lot now that their obnoxious behavior has been rewarded. And that honest customers will be footing the bill instead of the spineless MiM, who in a perfect world would have to deal with corporate for caving.

Comment

It's not fair? It's not fair?

What, that you can't decide policy for a company you neither own nor work for, and make it solely to your financial benefit?

Listen, you little turd smoker, let me tell you what isn't fucking fair.

The fact that good people like XCashier and I, and many like us, have to put up with your idiotic bullshit to earn our meager livings is not fair. Nor the fact that we have to put up with so many like you.

It's also not fair that the American consumer has been somehow so systematically trained to believe that everything they want they should get, just because they are the customer. Nor that so many spineless managers have decided to cave to your imbecilic ilk just to shut you the fuck up.

It's not fair that, in both my parents' house and my best friend's house, both of which I've been coming to for years, I still can't figure out where any dishes are in the kitchen on my first try.

It's not fair that I live 2,600 miles from where I actually want to be, where I consider home, and that I can't get my shit together enough to enact the requisite move to correct that.

It's not fair that the economy is starting to tank and so many people are out of work because a bunch of rich fucks in Washington can't play nice with each other, or exhibit the maturity of six year olds.

It's not fair that millions on this planet work their asses off and still go hungry, while others have more money than they could ever spend, eat lavishly, and didn't lift a finger to earn any of it.

It's unfair that people die of horrible diseases, with little funding going to research against those diseases, but millions are spent to keep men's hairlines from going north and their dicks from going south.

It's not fair that there are so many people that want children, and so many children available for adoption, and so much bureaucratic red tape separating the two groups, sometimes permanently.

It's not fair that innocent children are beaten, abused, assaulted, and killed by sociopaths on a daily basis, but people get in a tizzy over what the fucking Kardashians are doing.

It's not fair that good people suffer and die while evil people who engineered much of what is wrong in the world thrive.

It's not fair that we can find a cure to Restless Leg Syndrome, but not one for cancer, AIDS, or the hunta virus.

There are millions of things that are evil and wrong in the world, that are blatantly unfair, but please, don't let that get in the way of you crying your fool eyes out about how terribly unfair it is that you can't use those two-for-one coupons on dates of your choosing.

In short, Mr. and Mrs. Unfair, go fuck yourselves!!!
          Last edited by Jester; 10-14-2013, 02:02 PM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

WAY TO CALL IT, JESTER!!!

God, I wish we had a "Like" button!!
            Here Mr Customer, let me pull that out of my arse for you!

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              In short, Mr. and Mrs. Unfair, go fuck yourselves!!!
              Jester's post should be published in every newspaper across the country!

We live in a world full of war, disease, poverty, injustice, all sorts of evils. What upsets so many people? Trivial nonsense, like expired coupons or the price of milk going up two cents. The same people who turn a blind eye to the real problems of the world flip their lids over a sign they did not read.

Jester stated it so much more eloquently than I can. Dude,
              My LiveJournal

Comment

Jester, you have so eloquently said what many of us think on a daily basis.

You should send that in to White Whine and see how they like those grapes.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Can I put a Vote for Jester sign on my lawn?
                  https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                    I'd do that in a second
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

frame it and hang it on his bar

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        "I'm not leaving here," she snapped. And I'm not paid enough to put up with her crap. I called a manager to my register. A different one came up and after receiving a heaping helping of bitchitude from the SC, authorized the price adjustment. Fine, whatever, on your head be it, and hopefully we'll never see that SC again.
                        But you WILL see her again. After all, she KNOWS that if she moves something to a peg for a lower-priced item, and then cusses out the spineless manager, she'll get the item for the lower price. As for "I'm not leaving here", the proper response is "You are no longer welcome here. If you stay, I'll call the police and have you arrested for trespassing".
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          As for "I'm not leaving here", the proper response is "You are no longer welcome here. If you stay, I'll call the police and have you arrested for trespassing".
                          I don't think I have the authority to do that. That's why I called for a manager; they do have that authority in case things turned really nasty.
                          My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                            Jester, you have so eloquently said what many of us think on a daily basis.

You should send that in to White Whine and see how they like those grapes.
                            Thank you. (What's White Whine?)

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                            Sure! But for what office are we casting these votes?

Quoth katzklaw View Post
                            frame it and hang it on his bar
                            That would be a neat trick, since my bar doesn't really have a back wall. It's a big square that goes all the way around the center island.

Well, I guess we could hang it on the back wall of the bar at my new second job....

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester for President! Forever!!

Comment

Working...
                              X