This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales from a Discount Store 1

Hi there. New to the forum. I frequent a few other sites like this one, and have been posting on them accordingly. I no longer work in a discount store but shall be posting some of the more entertaining ones here (I guess entertaining is the wrong word, since that's NOT what I felt like at the time, but I'm sure you know what I mean!).

This particular suck happened to be the one that pushed me over the edge. I handed in my notice and left a few weeks later. For clarity, boss man wasn't in, since it was his day off.

I was happily serving my customers. Two ladies stopped at the shop's entrance each holding a chihuahua. They asked me if they were allowed to bring the dogs in. I politely told them that unfortunately, the only dogs that were allowed were guide dogs. A man behind my current customer snapped, "So, what you saying? Chihuahua's can't be guide dogs?" I ignored him. The ladies were fine with this. One asked me if we sold doggy ponchos. I told them no, sorry. They thanked me, and left.

The man suddenly quipped, "They're chihuahuas for fucks sake! They're not gonna bite anyone!"

Me: Sorry sir, but it's company policy. Dogs aren't allowed in here for health and safety reasons, as well as hygiene reasons. The only dogs we allow are guide dogs.

Him: Well who the fuck died and made you boss?

Me: Sorry, but once again it's company policy. No dogs allowed.

He really started getting angry at me then, and called me a mardy bitch, that it was a bullshit policy, dogs are allowed in every store but this one, I must have pulled it out of my arse because, again, I'm a mardy bitch and that I'm obviously a very bitter person. I cut him off at this point by saying,

"You're clearly upset. Would you like to talk to a supervisor?"

But he just ended up yelling over me, calling me names and telling me how pathetic I was not to let two little dogs in the shop. I asked him once again if he would like to speak to a supervisor, to which he bellowed at me, "No! And you know what? Fuck this shop! I don't want these fucking things no more!"

And... guess what? He threw his stuff at me. One of them was a plate. Yes, a plate. He threw it at my face. It missed and landed in my customer's basket. He then threw a can of hotdogs at my till. They bounced off the till and onto the floor. He also threw some other stuff that I can't remember. He was swearing and shouting at me as he passed me. He passed my customer and my till, and still had a bottle of 'Dettol Clean and Wipe Floor Cleaner' in his hand. He threw this into the air, aimed at me. It went over my customer's head and landed in her basket, squashing all of her stuff. Then he was at the entrance to the shop insulting me. He called me worthless, bitter, crazy, mardy bitch again, everything. I told him plain and clear to get out of the shop and not come back. And he left.

My customers in the line were very supportive. Lady who I was trying to serve when this all kicked off was thankful that he actually hadn't ruined any of her stuff, and said, "And YOU were being mardy?" and I was like "Yeah I know. I think he needs to look in a mirror or something."

I ended up writing a statement upstairs about the incident. Even though I wasn't harmed, it was pretty clear that, by aiming heavy and breakable things at my face, he actually WANTED to hurt me. All because he couldn't keep his big nose out of something that had actually been cleared up without any drama. The ladies were fine with not being allowed to have their dogs in the shop. It's a policy that I have no control over. As a cashier, I HAVE to uphold certain policies. I can't just let dogs go in the shop.

And an update to that story:

My boss was unsupportive. I wrote the report and left it in the office for him to read the next day. I asked him if he read it and he said yes, but what can I do about it now? I said, "Maybe you could check the CCTV footage so that you can see what he looks like?"

"No," he said. "There's no point. This happened yesterday." (Or something along those lines). And I asked him if we can ban him. He said, "Only if he throws stuff at you again."

I was really upset. So in order to get this jerk banned, I'd have to put myself in danger and get something ELSE thrown at me before any action could take place? No no no.

Glad I'm gone.

Hey! Welcome to CS!

Someone should be able to direct you to the brain bleach, chocolate, and other necessities (I forget where there are sometimes).

First, I don't know what this guy's problem was, but as someone with a service dog I can tell you that for the most part no, chihuahuas don't make good service animals. They haven't got the size to do much for anyone with a physical disability and as a breed don't generally have the emotional stability to be a psychological support animal (like for PTSD, not the speshul snowflakes who try to say their dogs are "emotional support" since those don't count as service dogs). Not that it was any of his business.

Second, I hate people who think that just because a dog is small it is no threat to people. People are too accustomed to seeing these poor dogs as accessories, like a purse or a pair of shoes, and they forget that even a well-trained dog is a living creature who can be pushed past its limits, sick, or just having a bad day. ALL dogs are potentially dangerous, regardless of breed or size. A bite from one of those little nippers can very well require stitches to close and might carry disease along with it. Once it bites, it could very well be destroyed, and depending on local vicious dog ordinances that could happen after the first bite that breaks skin. Why anyone risk their animal like that I will never understand.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Welcome aboard! ^_^

Glad you were able to get out of that situation -- The guy was an ass, and it wasn't any of his business anyway x.x If the ladies with the dogs didn't mind, why was HE whining? His reaction suggests that he had other issues, anyway. Your former boss was, in effect, encouraging this behavior.

As for chihuahuas not biting...? o_O Has that guy never been around chihuahuas before?!? They're cute and all, but many of the ones I have encountered tend to be territorial and more than ready to defend their masters with their jaws.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        As for chihuahuas not biting...? o_O Has that guy never been around chihuahuas before?!? They're cute and all, but many of the ones I have encountered tend to be territorial and more than ready to defend their masters with their jaws.
        My aunt has one, named Lily, and she's pretty much how you described. Lily is an annoying little pest, that is constantly wanting to bite either people...or my aunt's other dogs, one of which could *eat* her. Usually, if Lily is at Grandma's, she spends most of the visit in her carrier.
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Your boss was an idiot. That guy threw SEVERAL things at you. How many items does he have to throw before he gets banned?? Answer: ONE. Just as well you left that place.

Welcome to CS, we have cookies!!! (somewhere....unless they've all been nommed already...)
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I taught dog obedience classes for 11 years. I've been bitten by several dogs, including a Doberman and a St. Bernard.

Only one bite left a scar - a doggam miniature poodle.

"They're chihuahuas for fucks sake! They're not gonna bite anyone!"
            Yeah, right. Dumbass.
            I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
            - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Wow...glad you got out of there! And i have a chihuahua and while she isnt as yappy as most (i swear) i have to hold her or put her away when service people are at the house.

Comment

Actually, chihuahuas are often cited as one of the most, if not the most, aggressive dog breed there is based sheer numbers of bites. Of course if my Mastiff bites you, he's gonna do an awful lot more damage than if my friend's chihuahua, bites you, but my mastiff is far less prone to biting anybody. Actually, he's pretty lazy and relies on his sheer size to scare the shit out of people.
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

My Lab is the same way. Little yappy dogs go apeshit when they see her & she just kinda shrugs & says, "WTF you gonna do?" Guys see her & ask if she bites. Being a Major League Smartass, naturally I say "Not unless I tell her to!"

When I groomed dogs I always got bitten by the little dogs. I think they feel they have something to prove.
                  Here Mr Customer, let me pull that out of my arse for you!

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
                    He really started getting angry at me then, and called me a mardy bitch
                    "Mardy" bitch? I have never heard this phrase before.

"No," he said. "There's no point. This happened yesterday." (Or something along those lines). And I asked him if we can ban him. He said, "Only if he throws stuff at you again."
                    The fuck?! "Oh, we can't arrest this guy for robbing the bank, unless he comes in and starts shooting again".

Comment

Quoth JustShootMe View Post
                      My Lab is the same way. Little yappy dogs go apeshit when they see her & she just kinda shrugs & says, "WTF you gonna do?" Guys see her & ask if she bites. Being a Major League Smartass, naturally I say "Not unless I tell her to!"

When I groomed dogs I always got bitten by the little dogs. I think they feel they have something to prove.
                      I think they know that people aren't very intimidated by them, so they get a bit more aggressive to get their point across. On the other hand, if this dog*:

was staring you down, you'd probably think twice about crossing him without him even having to move.

*That picture is a year old, taken when he was still a puppy. He's about 50 pounds larger now.

But yeah, as to the OP, damn straight I don't want a little yippie dog that's not a trained service animal in a store where they don't belong.
                      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Whyyyyyy does it matter to HIM what other people do with their dogs? What is he, the Chihuahua King?? And then to throw stuff at someone? I think he has serious mental issues. Normal people don't overreact like that. I have a former friend who overreacts like that, and my mom has armchair diagnosed her with personality disorder. I mean, I can't pinpoint her issue, but all mutual friends feel the same: it's not a normal reaction to the situation when she does it. I had a sucktomer a few days ago who did that, too. Too many people walking around with undiagnosed issues.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Chihuahuas, not snappy and mean? Pretty sure my coworker R has a lil female Chihuahua that would prove that guy wrong. She brought her two dogs (both Chihuahuas) to the store so I could see them. I reached out to pet the female, and nearly got bitten! Even my eldest niece, a vet tech, will tell you how mean those buggers can be. Of course, I'd take the dog, over the asshole throwing blunt objects at your face, quite frankly. Also, your former boss should NOT have his job. Looking out for employees is all part of being management, after all.
                          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
                            And I asked him if we can ban him. He said, "Only if he throws stuff at you again."
                            Response: The store has insurance, right? When the store is paying my medical bills and lost wages, the insurance company may have a dim view about not banning a dangerous customer. Oh, and I'd like a copy of the incident report please.
                            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

http://acidsquirrel.com/post/524
                              if this thing was staring me down i'd be watching where i put my feet...

Comment

Working...
                              X