X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In a World, Where Stupidity Rules...

[Don LaFontane] IN A WORLD, WITHOUT STREETS..........[/Don LaFontane]

Woman comes in to get her car, we towed it from a private apartment lot across the street from a restaurant, which is obviously where she was. Not just an educated guess, she told us so.

- How could you tow me?! I WAS AT THE RESTAURANT!
    - Doesn't matter, you parked in the apartment lot. Can't do that without a permit.
    - But I was RIGHT THERE!
    - No, you were in a private lot for that apartment. And there are NO signs whatsoever in that lot indicating it's owned by the restaurant or is parking for them. I mean, what made you think that something on the other side of the street belongs to that restaurant?
    - I did not park across the street!
    - Uh, yes you did... space 15 at the apartment lot is where you got towed from.
    - No! That's NOT a street!

So the green sign on a post at the corner immediately adjacent to where you parked that says "HILLTOP AV" doesn't count eh? I disagree with your assessment. Know who else might disagree? The police, who drive down that alleged not-street all the time because their STATION is on the left about 100 yards from where you parked.

- Yes it is a street Ma'm
    - Well, I don't think it is!

Whew, I'm glad the world runs on it's own rules, not the ones you "think" it should. If it ran to your specifications, I have a feeling the sky would be pink and white checkerboards, birds would fly backwards, snozberries wouldn't taste like snozberries and trees would just randomly uproot themselves and float away into that picnic-blanket colored sky..... though a world without streets would be....... devastating to us and our business, the horror, the HORROR!

As it was, we never got the chance to tell her that, she quickly had ANOTHER complaint.

- And the numbers on the ground are all faded! I couldn't read them!
    - Excuse me?
    - You can't read the numbers on the ground!
    - You mean the ones in the spaces?
    - Yes! I can't even TELL that this is a 15! I took pictures!
    - Well, those don't mean anything really, numbers or not, it's a private lot and you didn't have a permit.

(The stalls are numbered per each apartment unit at the building, but, over the years they've faded to the point of not being visible at night. The property owner has decided not to repaint them, and just tells the tenants to park anywhere they want as long as they have permits. So what if you can't see em? It's irrelevant, they don't change the fact there's a big sign on the WALL that says "Private Parking", three of em' in fact.)

- But you can't read the numbers!
    - It doesn't matter
    - Well, I'm calling the manager in the morning to complain!

She did, he told her it didn't matter either.

She then complained there weren't enough signs

He informed her that at three signs and about 30 spaces, the lot is OVERSIGNED per borough ordinance.

She then complained that in HER town, you have to put a sign in front of EVERY space you can't park in. Don't know if that's true, but manager told her it doesn't matter either, you're on OUR turf here and house rules apply, 1 sign per 25 spaces is all that's needed

"And how do I know that's true?!" She demanded

"Borough website, Google it" said the manager, as he hung up, declaring:

"Man, I'm just so tired of stupid people. Do they think I'm going to refund them out of pity?"

[Don LaFontane] IN A WORLD, WITHOUT MONEY..........[/Don LaFontane]

Walking to the front of the garage ready to put my paperwork away for the night, I hear someone rattling on the other side of the front door.

Unlocking it, I find two guys, whom I dub Buddy and Buddy's Buddy. Buddy steps up and the fun begins.

Buddy - Hey, you towed my car.
    Me -Okay, which one was that?
    Buddy - Black Ford
    Me -This one from Maple Street?
    Buddy - Yeah
    Me - Alright, that will be $130
    Buddy - Aw maaaaan... that' a LOT of money
    Me -$115 is the base fee for a tow, set by Borough ordinance, and the lot you got towed from issues tickets, there's a $15 ticket on this car.
    Buddy -Can I just have it for less?
    Me -Nope
    Buddy - Can I just like, pay, partially and bring you the rest later?
    Me - No, you have to pay in full before the car is released
    Buddy - But I dont, like, have that money
    Me - ....

? Like that statement dignifies a response? Cause and Effect man, cause and effect..... no shoes no shirt no service.... no tickey no shirtey..... no money... no car.....

Buddy - I got twenty bucks, I mean, can I just give you like, a twenty? And then come back later with the rest?
    Me -No
    Buddy - But, see, the problem is I don't have that money, and I wanna drive home!
    Me -Unless you pay in full, now, I will not release this car
    Buddy -Okay, here *gives credit card* I probably don't have enough.

I run card, humoring him really, I know it's not going to work. Yep, just as expected, the machine made the Unhappy Beep (tm)

Me - That card is declined Sir
    Buddy - Look, can I just, call someone? And get a card over the phone?
    Me - Nope, physical card in hand right here in front of me is the only way I can take payment

Now, Buddy's buddy steps up to bat.

BB - Here, just use my card!

I run card, holding my breath a bit. In fact, I'm hoping for a fail, this is one of those weird cards that doesn't have raised/imprinted numbers, so if it DOES go through, we're going to need his license or a form of photo ID and a phone number, just to be safe, policy and all. And based on his attitude (he's been giving me the evil eye the whole time) he's going to treat me asking for his license as if I just asked him for a urine sample............. whew, the machine made the Unhappy Beep (tm), again. Home free.

Sorry, that card is declined

BB- What do you mean?!
    Me- I mean it declined, it says right here on my terminal "DECLINE: INSUFFICIENT FUNDS"
    BB- Aren't you supposed to be 24 hour?
    Me- We are
    BB- Then why was that door locked?!
    Me- Because I was in the back at the time, I can't leave it unlocked when it's not attended
    BB- Then you aren't really 24 hour are you?!

sigh, so you KNOW the rules better than me huh? Or maybe fishing for a discount? Nice try Quint, but you're going to need a bigger boat.*

Me - Yes, I am, and per borough ordinance, I have 30 minutes to respond to anyone coming in to pick up a car, sir. You waited about 4 seconds.
    BB- And you can't, do anything... about the price?
    Me - Nope, these are borough minimums, can't go any lower than this, but on the bright side, you have until 11pm tomorrow night to pick it up for the exact same price without gaining additional fees for storage.

BB calls a third friend on his cell to come and pick both of them up. Yes, apparently the WALKED over here from where they got towed, in 5 degree weather, and expected somehow to get their car back.... when they've apparently only got $20 between them.

Car soon pulls up, and BB joins Buddy in the walk of shame out the front door and I lock it behind them. Now I'm wondering, much like manager was, do people try these excuses hoping I'll take pity on them? Sorry, that ran out a long long time ago.... because now I live... IN A WORLD, WITHOUT REMORSE!
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Why do I always look forward to your posting. Maybe the SC ownage? Is it because I try to figure the SC logic and get the Blue Screen of Death? It is bad that you have to put up with these people, but I always look forward to your posts.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I, too, look forward to Saint Arga of Barga's posts, because I know that, regardless of the stupidity, entitlement, or suckiness of any of his victims, they will never get any slack from him with regards to payment.

Well, apart from paying a drop fee instead of a full tow fee, but that doesn't really count.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Yes, Argabarga does seem to attract the terminally brain-damaged. Of course Argabarga was being completely unreasonable, he should have trusted Buddy would bring him the rest of the money! <sarcasm mode off>

I'm surprised friend's card worked. Now, any bets as to whether or not Buddy is going to reimburse him? Don't forget, his credit card got declined and he doesn't have the money...

Comment

First lady:
          She tried to get off because you said "street" and she knows it's an "avenue."
          She tried to get off because the numbers were faded - which meant the spots weren't reserved if you couldn't read the numbers.
          She tried to get off by saying that each spot needed a sign. Nope.

Three strikes. Here's your sign, lady!

Buddy:
          Who says that you need to have the door unlocked to be open for business? (Unless you are a major retailer. In a one-man shop, I'm sure it's not illegal to protect yourself.)

You sure get the winners in the world. Makes me wonder if anyone comes in saying "Yeah, I parked where I shouldn't. How much do I owe you?"
          I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

I also look forward to Argabarga's posts, and I have concluded that it's because of this;

So many of us on this board have to deal every day with people who are just as delusional, entitled, in denial and heck, plain stoopid as his 'clients' and time and again are forced to back down, bend the rules, ignore all the company policies that we are told we must follow, while the SC's and EW's smirk at us knowing they'll get their way.

Argabarga gets to make stupid pay. And our tattered, bruised souls heal just a little bit.
            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

snozberries wouldn't taste like snozberries
              The BFG would probably *prefer* that they didn't.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                I also look forward to Argabarga's posts, and I have concluded that it's because of this;
                Quoth eltf177 View Post
                Yes, Argabarga does seem to attract the terminally brain-damaged.
                Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                I, too, look forward to Saint Arga of Barga's posts
                Quoth Mytical View Post
                Why do I always look forward to your posting. Maybe the SC ownage? .
                Shall we just go ahead and declare ArgaBarga as "Gravekeeper the Second" and be done with it?

I mean, the only thing he seems to be missing is stories involving pink camo pants.
                Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I enjoy reading Arga's posts for the reason Marmalady stated. It's nice to see SC's get what they deserve with the law and this board's rules backing him up.

But let's not get carried away with the praise lest we let history repeat itself.
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                    Argabarga gets to make stupid pay. And our tattered, bruised souls heal just a little bit.
                    Amen to that!
                    Quoth Captain Trips View Post
                    You sure get the winners in the world. Makes me wonder if anyone comes in saying "Yeah, I parked where I shouldn't. How much do I owe you?"
                    Undoubtedly he does. But he doesn't post those stories because contrite and apologetic customers are not sucky, so they wouldn't go here. And the stories would rarely, if ever, be funny.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Give it time: I'm sure one of these people will have pink camo pants... or at the very least pink camo car seats!

And I'm looking forward to the insane attitudes from people who can't drive in the ice and snow. Don't we have any tow truck drivers in Atlanta, Georgia? We need to recruit them for their stories.
                      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                        - How could you tow me?! I WAS AT THE RESTAURANT!
                        It was simple, really. We just hooked your car up to the two truck, and the rest was just physics.

- Yes it is a street Ma'm
                        - Well, I don't think it is!
                        I don't think Keira Knightley should be without my cuddling warmth on cold evenings. And yet, her failure to call me on call nights tells me that she thinks otherwise.

- And the numbers on the ground are all faded! I couldn't read them!
                        - Excuse me?
                        - You can't read the numbers on the ground!
                        - You mean the ones in the spaces?
                        - Yes! I can't even TELL that this is a 15! I took pictures!
                        So you were so certain that you shouldn't park there that you found the faded numbers and took pictures to back yourself up?

Seems legit...

She then complained that in HER town, you have to put a sign in front of EVERY space you can't park in.
                        And when you get towed in YOUR town, if they don't have adequate signage, let them know about this. But since you got towed in OUR town and not YOUR town, you have to deal with OUR town's rules.

Amazing how that works.

Buddy -Can I just have it for less?
                        This would've been the PERFECT time to employ the patented Jester Anti-Haggling Tactic (patent pending)! Kinda bummed you didn't, actually.

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                        Shall we just go ahead and declare ArgaBarga as "Gravekeeper the Second" and be done with it?
                        Personally, I think this would be a disservice to both of these fine gentlemen.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          This would've been the PERFECT time to employ the patented Jester Anti-Haggling Tactic (patent pending)! Kinda bummed you didn't, actually
                          Sadly, I rather suspect that burough ordianance forbids raising the price just as much as it forbids lowering it. One more of those 'we all get punished for the misdeeds of others' kind of things, I fear.

Because they truly deserved it.
                          Last edited by Dave1982; 01-30-2014, 12:21 PM. Reason: Broken quote tag
                          Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

There is that, but there would be no proof that anyone raised the price, since the end result of the Anti-Haggling Tactic is to end up at the original price.

But it's also a flexible Tactic, so even if that was a worry, the Tactic can be adjusted:

Buddy: Can I just have it for less?
                            Me: Sure thing! Between you and me, let's just call it $130.
                            Buddy: No, I said LESS.
                            Me: Wow. You do drive a hard bargain. Tell ya what...for YOU, how about just $130.
                            Buddy: No no no....I want to pay LESS than $130.
                            Me: Okay, okay....just because I like you, I'll let you off for only $130.

Etc, etc, etc.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

"Man, I'm just so tired of stupid people. Do they think I'm going to refund them out of pity?"
                              Apparently
                              Last edited by Dave1982; 12-30-2014, 03:04 PM. Reason: removed extra format tags
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                              X