Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes, there are other people in the world besides you.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, there are other people in the world besides you.

I was on cash register, we were busy off and on. There was a lull of a couple of minutes, then two older women got in line, busy talking to each other. Another woman, a youngish petite lady was in line behind them, looking rather intimidated.

I called for the next customer, which was the first of the two women. They were still busy chatting to each other, so I thought they didn't hear me. I called again, a little louder. The first woman takes umbrage at this, angrily scolding me for interrupting and saying she wasn't ready.

ME: Then I can take the next person after you if she's ready.
    SC: There's no one else in line!

I saw the younger woman slinking out of line. A different woman came into line and the two older women let her go ahead, so she came to my register.

DW: Those women are now talking crap about you.
    ME: I'm not surprised.
    DW: Yeah, people just don't realize what it's like to work in retail.
    ME: You can't, unless you actually have.

Her item rang up on sale, she was quite happy, we finished the sale and she left.

The first older woman came up to my register.

SC: There was no need to be so nasty! We were having a conversation and we weren't ready!
    ME: Ma'am, there was another person behind you.
    SC: There was nobody behind us!!!

Whatever. I rung her up, rang up her coupon, we finished the sale, I said See You Next Time. She was all so cheerful as she left. I rang up the second older woman with no problem.

Later, I told my manager to expect a complaint about me, and told her about the two women. She said, "Oh yeah, I saw them earlier, don't worry about it." So hopefully I shouldn't get in trouble.

Thing is, if you're not ready to be rung up, don't get in line! It's that freaking simple! If you get in line, the cashier is going to expect you to go to her register and complete the transaction, as are the people who get in line behind you.

I hope this doesn't come off as a FTSTS, but people do need to realize that there are other people in the world besides them.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Nope. It is not FTSTS; it was sucky on the first older woman's part, and you WERE NOT nasty.
    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Wow, what harpies. Once at the bookstore there was a long line; they were calling the next person in line to whatever register was open. The woman at the head of the line was on her cell phone. Cashier calls her once, twice, three times. Oblivious woman still yaps away, so Cashier calls the next person.

15 minutes later I get an angry phone call from a harpy (she was nasty on the phone) wanting to complain to a manager. This cell phone bitch apparently finally got a clue, went out to her car, and called from the parkng lot to complain (?). I told this to another co-worker and he told me the above story.

Some people just don't believe anyone exists but themselves, I guess.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I fail to see the FTSTS
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

We had a busy time, where I got called up to the second register. There were about 6 people in line behind the one being rung up. I signed on and stated/semi-yellled "Can I take the next person in line please?"

This always leads to a bit of shuffling, as no one wants to be the one to knock over others as they head towards me. However, not this time. A woman FOUR BACK in the line runs over to my register. I saw the reactions of the people who were ahead of her, so I said " I don't think you were next in line, were you?"

She gives me the CBF and says "It doesn't matter". I said "Well it does to the people who were ahead of you." She says "Are you refusing to ring me up?"

I said, "I would rather ring up the people who were ahead of you first." Notice I did NOT say NO. She steps back towards the other register, but then turns to me and says "What is your name?" (I guess this was supposed to scare me into taking her LOL) I told her, then proceeded to ring up the people who had patiently waited in line before her.

When I had waited on all the people before her, I said, "I'd be happy to help you now ma'am". Oh no, she wasn't having any of that ... she's gonna show me!!!! She waited another 5 minutes for the other cashier to finish what had turned out to be a very long transaction - while I stood there with no one in my line!

Um yeah, the universe doesn't revolve around you b****h!

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
            Oh no, she wasn't having any of that ... she's gonna show me!!!! She waited another 5 minutes for the other cashier to finish what had turned out to be a very long transaction - while I stood there with no one in my line!
            Well, that'll learn ya!
            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
            OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
            she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
            Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
              I hope this doesn't come off as a FTSTS,
              Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, and Mr. Magoo would be able to see the suck.

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
              15 minutes later I get an angry phone call from a harpy
              What have the bird-women from The Odessey done to deserve this comparison?
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I get that a lot when I'm running from job #1 to job #2. There's a Panera right there, so I usually stop for a quick dinner. I always seem to get behind those who a. don't have a clue what they want or b. have kids who are milling to and fro, and need to corner them and then pry out of htem what it is they want.

Meanwhile, I generally get the same thing, and as I have limited time, I'm usually figiting, since I have to wait for them since they apparetnly have ALL DARN day.

Comment

What have the bird-women from The Odessey done to deserve this comparison?
                  Harpies are the ones who tore out what's-his-name's liver over and over in Hades. Odysseus ran into the sirens, who are also bird women (and who lured sailors to their deaths for kicks, so they were pretty awful too!). 'Harpy' is the word I choose to use when I want to avoid using 'bitch'. Although I think I used that one in my post as well.

Comment

I think wolfie meant that the harpies would be offended by being compared to those two SC's
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                      'Harpy' is the word I choose to use when I want to avoid using 'bitch'. Although I think I used that one in my post as well.
                      Let's combine harpy and bitch to make a new description: harpitch.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Brilliant! I shall adopt it immediately, but it shall be reserved for the worst of the wotrst only.

Comment

My favorite is when people have to carry on their conversation at either the entrance or in the middle of an aisle somewhere.

Comment

Can someone please define "FTSTS"? It's probably really obvious, but it's just not an acronym I'm familiar with D:
                            Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

Comment

Quoth veniteangeli View Post
                              ... define "FTSTS"?
                              Failing To See The Suck
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X