This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New system, same bullshit

So we got brand new registers the other day. Which annoys a few people as they had a few dollars' worth of employee points saved up and wanted to use them before the change; now that it's deducted automatically nobody's sure what happened to the accrued points (I guess they have to find a store still on the old system to use them).

It's not bad, save for the touchscreen being either already broken or not calibrated properly. I managed to process a WIC and an accounts-receivable payment by myself without crashing anything although coupons are still confusing to a lot of people (some need to wait until you hit Total, some can be scanned as part of a transaction but we're not sure which are which) If only the new system meant that the old scammers were barred from the store.

But I did it before!
    A brand of frozen fish is on BOGO this week. A guy (who I recognize as a serial scam-couponer) bought four of them at SCO. Four items at BOGO, so he was only paying for two. He had four coupons and wanted to use all of them. The new registers will no longer allow more than one manufacturer (item-specific) coupon per item paid for and will not let the cashier key an extra one in--and I assume stuff like that is tracked much better, as the cashier now has the option to accept or not accept the override meaning it is tied to their number. I think he thought that because it was self-checkout that I would let it go through.

Me: You can only use two coupons, you are only paying for two. It's buy one get one. See on the screen?
    SC: But I have four items! Four coupons!
    Me: You only pay for two. You can't use more than one coupon per item, so you can only use two.
    SC: But the old system let me do it! Can't you force it through? (oh isn't he cute, he knows the terminology...and he admits doing it before. DELETE! DELETE! DELETE!)
    Me: No. This is a new system and it won't let me do it.
    SC: Can't you just scan your card and try?
    Me: No.
    SC: But I have coupons!
    Me: You can only use one coupon per item now. With the two coupons it let through you're only paying $10 for four jumbo-size bags of [brand] fish, which is an awesome deal. If you want you can go to the desk with the other coupons, they'll tell you the same thing.

...so he decides to return all four of them. Over two bucks. When his end price was 50% off. I suspect he'll go to another store to try.

Do that again and I swear I'll bite you
    A few customers have already learned that in addition to reaching over the register to scan their card, they can now fiddle with the touchscreen when doing so. Now they have to learn that they will be smacked if they ever do that again (luckily it was locked when they did so, so all that their flailing resulted in was a passkey prompt). Part of me is waiting for one of them to get my code locked-out (if that can even happen) so a manager can yell at them.

Even though voided items (although not discounts) now show in red on the monitor, I still get asked "Did you take it off? I don't see it. Are you sure you took it off? What's the price? I don't see the discount."

People still poking at the pinpad like they're trying to make airholes in a cardboard box (we have a stylus, use that kthx). My screen shakes when they do that, and it can't be good for the pad itself.

The upside is that all of us who watch SCO should be issued our own cards, so hopefully it's the end of the hassle of signing them in and out.
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 03-05-2014, 06:00 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

The jerk with the fish was full of crap anyway. He never should have been allowed to use coupons on free items in the past, so it's awesome that the system won't let him do it now! HAHA!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

"The old system let me do it!"
      "That's why we got the new one."
      Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

With the old system, it was far easier to key in additional coupons--just "vendor coupon" price, department and no additional verification needed. Some people would force the additional ones just to get rid of the whiners, or 'in the name of good customer service'. ASM was notorious for this; I hope now that said overrides need a manager key--which means that it ultimately falls under a manager ID--he'll stop (if for no other reason than he can't be bothered).
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
          With the old system, it was far easier to key in additional coupons--just "vendor coupon" price, department and no additional verification needed. Some people would force the additional ones just to get rid of the whiners, or 'in the name of good customer service'. ASM was notorious for this; I hope now that said overrides need a manager key--which means that it ultimately falls under a manager ID--he'll stop (if for no other reason than he can't be bothered).
          Yeah when Awful-mart went to their new coupon system we had one ASM just like that who would always used to say 'just do it'. Now that there are ID numbers attached to every 'just do it', the CSM's started making him put his numbers in for the override. After realizing he could no longer throw everyone else under the bus because his numbers were attached to coupon overrides, suddenly he had a change of heart and started being more cooperative with the coupon rules.

Comment

I never got the whole coupon crazy thing. Sure, I use them if they're handy, but a few people going overboard always hurts everybody else in the long run. Prices go up, manufactures offer fewer, and less valuable coupons, and stores are less willing to take them. That said, I'm glad to hear POS systems are finally catching up and stopping the worst of the abuses.
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Working...
            X