Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You want slow access? Try a 300 baud acoustic coupler modem?
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth AdvancedFlea View Post
      Fast load cartridge? colour me intregued
      Exactly what it sounds like. Slot in the cart, turn on the system (in that order), insert a floppy and hit C= + RunStop (the former is supposed to be the 'Commodore' key). Improves initial diskette loading times significantly, and does not require that you actually know the name of the executable you wanna run -- it simply assumes "whatever is in the floppy drive"...Uncertain if it affects anything after the initial load, however.

As mentioned, it doesn't work with everything, tho Moscow is the only game I owned that it did NOT work with. IIRC, if it cannot load something, it either craps out or just freezes the system up...Which was not exactly a huge detriment back in those days.

If you still have an actual c64, I'm sure the things are still out there, and probably cheap.
      Last edited by EricKei; 04-03-2014, 12:52 AM.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

There are still some demoscene groups out there doing incredible things with the C64. It has only a 1MHz CPU, but the custom graphics and sound hardware that Commodore was famous for makes all the difference. Some demos even use the CPU in the floppy drive for extra calculating power!

Wonderland XII
        We Are All Connected
        We Are New
        Second Reality C64 ... and here's the PC version for comparison.

Comment

Quoth AdvancedFlea View Post
          I was talking to a customer the other day. Their daughter made a comment about how their 10Mb FiberOP broadband was slow. I laughed at her and said You're too young to remember dial-up. Her dad immediately chuckled and started imitating a dial-up modem noise XD then her mum said "Yeah. THAT was slow"
          I bought a 1200 baud modem a few years ago for my C64, but for some reason it would NOT work with the digital phone service we had. So it sits unused. I wonder why it didn't work?

Comment

Perhaps the A/D and D/A conversion alters the tones enough that the modem no longer recognizes them?
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

It's more likely that the *compression* applied to digital phone services destroys the information in the signal. A 1200-baud modem uses two tones alternately, the precise pattern of this alternation containing the data. After compression, I wouldn't be surprised if it was squashed into just the two tones continuously - which is pretty close to what it sounds like to the human ear.

Comment

Oh. Well, it's a moot point now, as I no longer have a landline at all. And if I figured out a way to plug it into my cell phone, it would probably do the same thing, only worse.

Comment

Working...
                X