This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Town, Summer in the City....

And all around' here, it ain't lookin' pretty, people walkin' round half-dumb with no excuse for where they just parked illegally.... and when summer finally ends, it will be replaced only by FOOT-FREAKING-BALL! where people get even WORSE at keeping their cars between the lines. So I won't complain TOO hard about this season's crop-o-suck.

Lost in Translation

You know that game you used to play as a kid? Probably in school or summer camp? Where you'd get a bunch of people around in a circle, one person would whisper a simple message into the ear of the person next to them, and around the circle it would go, each person whispering it on?

And inevitably, by the time it got back to the original sender, the cumulative effect of all those tiny mistakes would result in something that bore no resemblance to the original message?

That was a fun game, to a kid.

It's NOT as fun when you have to play it as an adult, and the "Circle" goes something like this...

Owner of illegally parked car who doesn't speak English -----> His kid, who does, but can't stop SOBBING while trying to translate -----> A cop*, trying hard not to laugh at the whole situation, and failing -----> Eugene, our driver.

And then it goes back the other way......

That incident took 35, THIRTY-FIVE minutes to resolve.

And the permit to park where he got towed from?, the very thing that could have averted the WHOLE linguistic nightmare in the first place?

It was inside the apartment on the kitchen table.

They got one, and then never put it in the car

So close, and yet, so far.

* This was kinda suck in and of itself. Customer's kid called them over. This tow happened after the "office" went home for the day, so there was no "manager" on duty, just the towers. Kid demanded a manager, Eugene said there wasn't one and wouldn't be one until the morning. Kid threatened to call the business phone and get one. Eugene said go ahead, it will just forward through our answering service to the cellphone right in his own pocket. Kid didn't believe him, did it anyway, when the cell in Eugene's pocket rang, kid angrily hung up and then dialed 911, because, well, everyone knows that if you don't like what's happening, IT'S ILLEGAL! ergo COPS!....

And, that was only the FIRST car our driver was sent to tow in that lot. Once free from that drop, he proceeded to ANOTHER car with no permit.

And got the SAME reaction.

Owner was a recent new renter, who had a permit.... in the folder with all his rental paperwork..... STUFFED INTO A KITCHEN DRAWER inside his new digs.

Eugene pointed out it isn't doing him any good in there instead of IN THE CAR, now is it?!

Owner says he's not paying.

Eugene points out he has to, and if he doesn't believe him, to go inside and READ that rental paperwork, as it includes the line that all cars MUST have VISIBLE permits or they get towed, regardless of who owns them or why they might be parked there.

Owner isn't convinced, and threatens to call the cops. Obviously by now, Eugene is just one-neuron's width away from giving the police a REAL DARN GOOD reason to come back to the lot again, like HOMICIDE perhaps, or even MULTIPLE homicides?

He snapped....

"Go ahead, CALL THEM! They can tell you EXACTLY what I just told you! And then they'll tell you where to pick up your car, because it won't be HERE when THEY get here! I'm LEAVING WITH IT NOW!"

Owner has a change of heart and decides he'll pay for a drop too, Eugene must get pretty scary when he gets pushed too far, maybe he gets "angry horse" nostrils or something? I dunno, I've never baited him to the brink to find out like this guy did....

Past Performance is no Guarantee of Future Gain

That warning disclaimer works for just more than stocks, bonds and tradeable commodities. Also works for tampered permits.

You bumped your expired 6/23/14 - 6/30/14 permit up to August by putting an extra loop at the top until the "6"s kinda looked like "8"s , and did a good enough job that it took about a week before someone (and to my eternal shame, it wasn't me) noted that it didn't make a lot of sense for you to start parking in a lot a full month and a half before the dates on the permit said you should be there.

So, your car got the hook, a la' a bad vaudeville act.

Of course, this upset the owner greatly, as she could just NOT believe we'd do such a thing!

See, since she'd been parking there for "days" with the tampered permit, it wasn't fair to suddenly tow her on day 6 when she'd gotten away with it for days 1 through 5.

Yep.

That was pretty much it.

We shouldn't have towed her because she'd gotten used to getting away with forgery.....

She admitted (well, after being backed into a corner) that it wasn't a real permit, only that she intended to get a real one.... eventually..... but, see, that's not the issue! What's REALLY important here is that it worked for a little while! So we have to keep honoring it! Otherwise it's unfair and inconsistent application of the law!!!!

My, what an interesting view of the world you have, might it be possible to subscribe to your newsletter?

And, she also complained about the protection fee, the $30 Borough-set charge when you leave your WINDOWS FULLY DOWN and we have to wrap the gaping holes up in crash wrap.

She demanded to know what gave us the authority to do that, since she didn't tell us it was okay.

We pointed out that, in the last week alone, we've had two torrential downpours that have resulted in some of the streets filling with standing water to the curb-tops, and several streets being shut down COMPLETELY for being, well, UNDERWATER. Maybe that's why? Oh, and we really didn't feel like having her try to sue us if she happened to come get her car, and 10 gallons of water poured out upon opening the door... that's an even BIGGER reason.

All that bitching was moot anyway. When it was all said and done, and she ran out of breath, her FRIENDS who had driven her to our garage ended up using their credit cards to pay for her tow, which I think goes a long way towards explaining why she is the way she is. Just a hunch.

And the delicious cherry on top of this whole mess? This isn't the first nor will it likely be the last time this wonderful free spirit darkens out doorsteps with her twisted self-centered logic.

See, I know her car very well. It's got an out-of-state plate with "vanity" lettering, so it stands out a bit, but nothing will burn a car into my memory quite like the owner getting nailed by us 11 times in the last 3 years.

Yep, according to the database, she's earned herself 11 entries into the system, for such varied things as:

- Parking in private lots without permits
    - Parking at meters and not paying them
    - Refusing to pay accumulated parking fees until your car is physically towed in (twice! meaning with a clean slate after the first time, you went out and racked up enough for you do have to be towed again!)
    - Abusing the free-parking-in-front-of-gym-for-gym-customers rule that the local fitness center has by taking the dashboard permit you get when you give them your license, and running out and photocopying it, so you don't have to follow those pesky rules every time you go there. Being able to use their lot when they weren't actually OPEN was a nice side benefit, till they noticed and revoked you.

And now, we can add forging apartment temp passes to that list!

Such mastery of multiple mediums!

Such indomitable spirit, refusing to take "no" for an answer even when society says you aren't too special for the rules!

That's quite a list, sweetheart. I'm almost amazed. Almost. But then again, I'm not sure what else could be expected.

Just as it's hard to find a tinfoil-hat-wearing guy who only believes in ONE outlandish conspiracy theory while dismissing all others, it shouldn't be a surprise that your average parking scofflaw would choose not to limit themselves to just one kind of parking infraction, now is it?

I'm not Done NOT Talking to you!

Seems this gentleman was a believer that there was simply no darn good reason NOT for him to just park directly below a "PERMIT ONLY" sign and expect anything bad to happen.

His reasons?

1. "It's a f*ckin beautiful day" (and it was)

2. "There's NOBODY in this lot!" (Untrue, about 4 other cars were there besides his)

3. "It's the middle of SUMMER, and you don't have anything BETTER to do?!" (Well, this may shock you, Sir, but STUDENTS may get the summer off, but WORKING STIFFS like me most emphatically do not, and if I want to keep eating, then yes, I'm going to come after people like you.)

Well, after those little logic samplings got him nowhere, well, nowhere he wanted to be, he declared "I'M DONE TALKING TO YOU!"

Okay, fine I tell him.

I'M DONE TALKING TO YOU! he says. Okay, again, I tell him that's fine.

At this point a pair of other people with him, who I am going to safely assume were his wife and 1.5 kids, try to ask me if there's anything they can do about getting a refund. Worth noting, they weren't HAPPY but were at least polite.

I try to explain that the person to talk to is either my towing manager or Global Domination Reality, and contact info for both those people are on the back of their ticket/tow paperwork, but don't get more than one syllable out before Mount Angry Dad erupts again.

I'M DONE TALKING TO YOU!!!

Yes, and as you can see, I'm not talking to you, I'm talking to these people here who've asked me a question and...

NO! GET OUT OF HERE! I'M DONE TALKING TO YOU!!!

Okay, but, I'm not talking to you, I'm talking t....

NO! JUST LEAVE ALREADY!!! I'M DONE TALKING TO YOU!!!

Sir? I heard you just fine, both times, and if you don't want to talk to me, that's more than acceptable, in fact, that's PREFERABLE at this juncture.... So why are you continuing to initiate conversation with me, just to tell me that you're NOT going to talk to me?

His other family members are now getting between him and me, trying to talk Dad down out of the douchebagosphere and into the politeosphere, where conditions are more favorable today, but he's having none of it. I can't see what's being said, but Dad is now up in junior's face, and by the way Dad's head is bobbing away like a woodpecker, I get the feeling he's letting his kid know EXACTLY why it's important he be allowed to continue to make an ass of himself. Very reminiscent of the way a pissed of manager gets in an umpire's face and tries to chew the brim off his ballcap, for all the good it will do him....

Anyway, I take this as the perfect opportunity to slink off, as I don't want to get into what may rapidly become a domestic squabble, and besides...

He was done talking to me.

So, anyone for tennis?
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Quoth Argabarga View Post
    So, anyone for tennis?
    Ya need eleven ass on da lot for football.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

IM (DONE) TALKING.

IM NOT LISTENING.

/whovian
      Last edited by Tama; 07-03-2014, 12:35 AM.
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

"I'm done talking to you!"

"Good, then shut up."
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

"I'm done talking to you!"
          Good, does that mean you're done spittin' on me too?

"SHUT UP, I'm not done talking to you!!"

Cookies for the reference...
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

So does that mean since Douchebag Dad was done talking to you that you drove off with his car in tow?
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post

"Now turn around and bend over!"

"Why? Whaddaya gonna do, you pervert?"

"Pervert?! Why you snotty nosed little . . ."

"Ow ow ow leggo my hair, man!"

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                So does that mean since Douchebag Dad was done talking to you that you drove off with his car in tow?
                Nah, he already paid for it, he was just determined to get his two cents in, and in, and in, and in, and in, and ........ well, you know.
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post

it made me think of the shoe People's court, so most likely not that

Comment

You know that game you used to play as a kid? Probably in school or summer camp? Where you'd get a bunch of people around in a circle, one person would whisper a simple message into the ear of the person next to them, and around the circle it would go, each person whispering it on?

And inevitably, by the time it got back to the original sender, the cumulative effect of all those tiny mistakes would result in something that bore no resemblance to the original message?

That was a fun game, to a kid.
                    Skinner says the teachers will crack any minute purple monkey dishwasher.
                    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I'M DONE TALKING TO YOU!!!
                      Good, because I wasn't listening anyway...

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post

Cheech & Chong's "Earache My Eye" skit.

Back OT, it's amazing the lengths people will go to when trying to skirt the rules. Yet it would be so much less work, money and hassle if they just obey the rules in the first place. Logical, no? But they just can't figure it out. They break the rules over and over again and can't figure out why they're always getting in trouble.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Omg, I love those people.

"I'm not arguing with you anymore!" (wait for it, wait for it.......here comes a big ol spew of verbal Hershey squirts or a text message 5 texts long)....

"I'm not talking to you anymore!"....5 minutes later....."You know what I really hate about you?!"
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                            Cheech & Chong's "Earache My Eye" skit.
                            Here you go.
                            Quoth XCashier View Post
                            it's amazing the lengths people will go to when trying to skirt the rules.
                            I see plenty of that at the tax office--the loin's share of their income is some kind of scam, which averages minimum wage or less
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                              Omg, I love those people.

"I'm not talking to you anymore!"....5 minutes later....."You know what I really hate about you?!"
                              I have someone I know like that. Will stomp out of the room, come back in and say "I'm going to stay away from you so I can't say anything that will get me in trouble. I apparently can't say anything right these days....." Stomp out again.

Funnily enough speaks *more* during those times (which is quite amazing) because she returns to the room to resay the same thing every 5 minutes or less.
                              I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Working...
                              X