X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth fireheart View Post
    On the other hand, no divorces
    And no plastic surgery.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
      And no plastic surgery.
      Or at least it's doesn't affect clothing size. >.>
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I've been doing a lot of mulling. Have come to the decision I'm going to do something fun for myself. Build something outside my comfort zone and just... shake things up a bit.

Also, have been asked to help with a project locally. Designing things for projects I have no stake or soul in... but it'll be an emotional break for a bit. Web pages, business headers, that sort of thing.

And thank you all for the kind words and encouragement

Comment

Taking a break and doing something for you is definitely the best thing to do - I always find it helps me to do something that no one else has a say in, no one else can object to, and that I want to do. At the moment it's a space duvet, which is awesome and simple and such a silly project that it's fun - but it's something for me, that I will enjoy.

It's crap that you got caught in the crossfire, but at least karma's biting her in the (modified) ass sooner rather than later!
          I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

Another thing you can do is to limit yourself to people who have an understanding and appreciation of how much effort hand-made things are.

My cross-stitch and other crafts go mostly to my family and close friends; most of whom either currently make things or have made things. I'm currently doing a major project: a 50th wedding anniversary cross-stitch for my parents.

My father made me a turned wooden pen for my birthday. (The mechanics were purchased, the pen body is gorgeous and hand-made.) I still have hand-knitted clothes - and a hand-knitted doll - from my mother's crafting. I KNOW my parents will fully appreciate the cross-stitch.

It's not a total guarantee. Some crafters are rude idiots. But you're more likely to strike people who understand and appreciate the effort among crafters (or people who've given crafting an honest try) than the general populace.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Aw, I really hope you don't give it up for good. I think taking a break for now is a wonderful thing, and no one can blame you for being furious at what a wreck this woman is (and then had to drag it into YOUR life), but I love costumers. It's such a marvelous talent to have and I think a great way to make people happy - who doesn't like wearing something really special? My sewing is limited to buttons and hems (kind of. I hate hemming and I'm pretty bad at it), and I just so admire people who can do it at a professional level. It's pretty rare. And pretty hard. I did HomeEc twice because I moved in high school and I tell you what, my potholder and skirt did not look any better the second time around XD You have a pretty amazing skill and I think it would be a total shame if she managed to win you time, money, patience - on top of happiness, work you enjoy, and that talent for the rest of your life ._. She doesn't deserve that victory, that is for dang sure.

I hope you heal from this. I agree with everyone else - karma is getting her bigtime.

Comment

I agree with the others and I glad you'll just be taking a break and not letting this pathetic specimen of humanity turn you off your hobby.

My mother quilted, and both my brother and I have samples which we will cherish forever. She passed on but we're trying to see if we can get members of her quilting group to finish the last two she was working on.

My great-grandfather was a painter, and we have several samples of his work which we love...

Best of luck to you!

Comment

Another costumer/cosplayer here! I don't blame you for wanting to take a break from doing custom work after dealing with that gods-awful woman (the husband sounds like a half decent guy).
                  I'm glad that you don't plan to give up costuming and the creative arts altogether, it would be a shame to give up something you love thanks to one sorry excuse for a woman.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                    If you have any children or child relatives in your family who do any sort of performing arts, why not see if you can help with costuming there? My mum did this when I was a kid which meant that her skills weren't going to waste (she made the curtains for a school "stage" for a school play that still get used today some 15 years later but she also made a few costumes for both my sister and I for dance productions). The downside is stage mums, but at least with stage parents you can TELL from first impressions if they'll be that way. On the other hand, no divorces
                    This. My mother's been doing that for my old high school for almost 20 years now, ever since my brother started participating in their theater productions. It keeps her busy, if nothing else.
                    "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Somehow I missed this when this all happened. Of course, I haven't been on as much in the last few months, so that may have had something to do with it.

By the way, epic karmic bitch slap to the SC in this story that, after things went south, it wasn't just her bustline that was growing.....

Quoth FerrousBueller View Post
                      In Florida.
                      Myself as well. Feel free to join me in mocking those who live in the Great Cold White North when they bitch about the weather. They'll pout and call us names and threaten to pelt us with snowballs and iceballs, but they've never come through yet.

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
                      And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why weird stuff occasionally comes up in contracts, on warning labels, and in conversations with sales staff.

FB's new contract language: "If I measure you, and you get cosmetic surgery, we'll have to start over, and that's not free."
                      Me at Major Electronics Retailer: "The laptop you're buying is reasonably durable as long as you don't use it as a pillow like the last guy did."
                      On a Box of Matches: "Warning: Flammable"
                      While I don't actually say this, it is often very tempting, when handing a bottle of one of our rums to a customer for their perusal of the label, or for a photo op, or just because they want to see the bottle, to say, "And please, don't open the bottle, go to smell the rum, and ACTUALLY TOUCH YOUR NOSE TO THE LIP OF THE BOTTLE," or, "And whatever you do, please, DON'T POUR SOME OF THE RUM INTO THE PALM OF YOUR HAND TO SMELL IT." Because, yes, this shit's actually happened.

I was informed by The Husband that she slept with some-one and they're in the process of getting a divorce.
                      Am I the only one that wasn't even vaguely surprised by this turn of events? That even kinda saw it coming?

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                      Also, I wish people wouldn't over-share. If they're going to use what I'm selling them for sex stuff, just don't tell me.
                      I have friend who do this. Who insist on telling me the details of their sex life, and/or the physical details of their latest partners. Despite my repeatedly telling them that I really, really, REALLY don't want to know. I'm not a prude....I just don't need to know the intimate details of my friends' sex lives. Did you have a good time? Great. That's all I need to know. It's gotten to the point with one of my better friends, who is one of the worst perpetrators of this, that I've actually said to them, "Look, unless the two of you are fucking right in front of me, I don't fucking care!"

I'm not known for pulling punches or being subtle.

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                      I mean she is was married....did she not have a wedding dress?

Does she not remember how many times you need to get one of those fitted and altered to be just right? This gown you were making sounds as complex as a wedding gown. Why did she think this would be any different?
                      Two things. First, a lot of people get used to getting their own way, and honestly believe the universe revolves around them. Especially gold digging trophy wives like this one seems to be. And I wouldn't doubt she put the wedding dress people through hell as well, though obviously without the huge intentional physical changes.

Secondly, why are you trying to apply logic or rational thinking to an SC? They are like 7-Up in this respect: never had it, never will.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      Or some chocolate wine.
                      Or another version of chocolate wine, which a dessert restaurant down here, along with other variations on the theme: what they call Choco Cab, which is a rich, luscious Cabernet Sauvignon, served in a wine glass rimmed with chocolate. It's even better than it sounds.

I feel better after sushi....
                      Don't we all?

I'm just... well, mostly struggling with the faith in humanity. When I first posted this, I thought it was a crappy customer.
                      It WAS a crappy customer. And you cannot let the occasional crappy customer ruin it when there are so many other good ones. Look, I've been known to have a few doozies come into my bar. And a lot of annoyances and morons that I don't ever even post about, because it's the usual bullshit, ad nauseum. (Yes, I will need to see your ID. No, I can't serve you without your ID. No, your kids can't sit at the bar. No, I'm not gonna give you free drinks. No, I don't set the prices, so stop trying to haggle.) But the fact is that the vast majority of my customers are cool, very cool, or amazingly cool, and there are far more that make my day bright than make me want to punch them. And that is why I have spent 29 years in the food service industry.

Because while people do suck, people also rock. And it's important to keep a positive outlook if you want to keep doing the thing that you love. (And until someone starts paying me to drink rum and beer, go bicycling, and sleep with bikini models, bartending is as good as it gets.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Update: Judge dismissed the case for the cost of the dress but is allowing her to file suit for "emotional damage" and "defamation of character". My lawyer was slack jawed when it happened and said he is going to appeal immediately. However, he said he has no idea what to expect now.

Looks like I'm going to court. She's asking $600,000. I've not even made that much money over the course of my CAREER.

Edit: I'm trying to feel something about this. For some reason though, I'm not.
                        Last edited by FerrousBueller; 04-04-2015, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Looks like I'm going to court. She's asking $600,000. I've not even made that much money over the course of my CAREER.
                          Ask your lawyer about bankruptcy--IIRC, that can also erase judgments...assuming it comes to that. OTOH, she is the one with the burden of proof in this matter.
                          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

IANAL, but isn't it only defamation if it's untrue, and that others heard the statement?p

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
                              IANAL, but isn't it only defamation if it's untrue, and that others heard the statement?p
                              Right? Quick search says "Defamation of character occurs when someone makes a false statement about you that causes you some type of harm." Another site adds that the defamation has to cause real, documented damage. It's pretty clear that it's harassment, which would make it a frivolous lawsuit.

Ferris is numb, but I'm outraged on his behalf.
                              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I wouldn't be too concerned about the judge letting her file suit. This is a frivolous lawsuit based on a steaming mound of horse shit. $600,000 for emotional distress and defamation, over a dress she allowed to be measured for pre-enhancement, and for which she never paid a dime? Good luck, Ms. Twat Waffle.

I have a better chance of winning a suit against the NBA for them never allowing me to play in their league, despite the rather relevant facts that I'm short, I'm not very good at basketball, I have a terrible jump shot, I'm very uncoordinated with a basketball, I've never played the game on any organized level (pickup game doesn't count as organized), and I never filed for or announced for their annual draft.

The Phoenix Suns don't know what their missing. (Thank goodness. If they did, they'd laugh.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                                Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                                X