This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone's fault but hers

For those of you who don't know, I work the service counter in a grocery store. This little gem started off my day.

About 45 minutes into my opening shift, I see an older woman storming toward the counter. Recognizing the walk as the 'I'm about to tear you a new asshole' stride, I took a deep breath to prepare myself before she got to me.

Old woman: *throws a stack of coupons on the counter* Your cashier didn't do my coupons! I can't believe this store, its worse every time I come in.

Me: Sorry about that, she must have just forgotten you'd given them to her. It happens sometimes, I'll have this taken care of in a minute.

OW: Well, they were in my purse. But she SHOULD have KNOWN I would have coupons!

Me: Uh... *brain blue-screens and reboots* Well ma'am, she couldn't know you had them in your purse. But really, its no big deal, I'm almost finished.

OW: It doesn't matter! She should KNOW! Its not my fault I forget to give them to her!

As she finished that line, I finished her coupon refund and she went on her way. But really lady? Its the cashier's fault you forgot you had coupons in your purse and my fault that the cashier wasn't psychic? If it hadn't been so early in the morning and I'd been a little more awake, I'd have had a hard time not laughing at her when she informed me she'd forgotten she had coupons in her purse. Having to smile and apologize to her for her own stupidity is just one of those things that makes my faith in humanity continue to die a fiery, painful death.

I read another post on a different forum where the OP also had a customer who expected her to be psychic! People disgust me! This is just another way to make it so the cashier is at fault. I do hate retail sometimes.

Comment

Even if the cashier was psychic, it wouldn't have helped -- we they, I mean, THEY need a brain to analyze in the first place, last I checked. This SC was apparently found lacking.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth CrystalynRose View Post
        OW: Well, they were in my purse. But she SHOULD have KNOWN I would have coupons!
        The annoying part is that the cashier probably did ask for coupons and the lady was so busy trying to find something else wrong with the transaction that she didn't hear or respond to the question.
        Last edited by EricKei; 10-09-2014, 02:36 PM. Reason: trimmed quote
        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

And this is why a Stupidity Tax is needed...

Comment

"I'm sorry, but Clark Kent works at the Daily Planet, not our grocery store."

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
              And this is why a Stupidity Tax is needed...
              And it would be easy to implement one - person doesn't hand over their coupons at the register? Sorry, you're SOL - no refunding them at the service desk.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Better yet -- Give them only the listed "cash value". In other words, 1/10 of one cent per coupon.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

worse yet, ask a SC if they have coupons and they become unglued about "how dare you imply that i need assistance with my purchase". yes, this happened to me, on more than one occasion. damned if you do, damned if you don't.
                  there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

Vulcans don't work in retail. "We're sorry, Mr. Spock doesn't work for us"

Comment

Quoth AyreBiskits View Post
                      worse yet, ask a SC if they have coupons and they become unglued about "how dare you imply that i need assistance with my purchase". yes, this happened to me, on more than one occasion. damned if you do, damned if you don't.
                      Mostly what I get is "no, do you have coupons I can use? No I don't want to sign up to receive them, I just want one now."

And I know SCs don't read, but coupons usually say something like "must be presented at time of purchase." I don't get why companies make all these rules, then force us peons to override them.
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I simply can't be sure I'd be able to hold back a "Yes it is" or some other snark at that...
                        Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I used to say, at my last retail job, that I was going to put a crystal ball at the register and when people got mad because I didn't read their minds, I would touch the ball, close my eyes and start humming "ooooohhhhhhhmmmmmmm". Then tell them "Sorry, I wasn't able to pick up anything in the otherworld"

Comment

You could always put a couple of fingers up to your temple a la James McAvoy's Professor X, furrow your brow and stare at them intensely for a few seconds before saying, "I got nothing. Sorry."

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                              The annoying part is that the cashier probably did ask for coupons and the lady was so busy trying to find something else wrong with the transaction that she didn't hear or respond to the question.
                              I'm sure she did, that particular cashier has worked there at least ten years.

Comment

Working...
                              X