This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, stolen identity and money is NOT funny

My company is one of those that got hacked within the last year. Occasionally I get someone asking if it's ok to use a card, which is mildly annoying, and some will tell me they are really irritated, which is a bit more annoying, as that's not my fault, so whine at the company. Anyway, my very first jerk today asked his wife, "Oh, should I use this? I mean, it is [Company]--har har har." I did not say a word and he remarked I didn't think it was funny. Well, no I didn't. My friend lost money in one of those fiascos, and she cannot affort to lose a big chunk like that. I should've said as much, but all I could think to say was, "All I can say is that I refuse to take blame, as I had nothing to do with that." I mean, really--that was about it. His "joking"--passive-aggressive attack--was an attempt to get a reaction out of me, because I'm somehow responsible. I got called into the office, but not because I was in trouble. The store manager just happened to walk by a few mins later and ask how I was, and I decided to tell her the whole truth. We had a long talk and while she agrees some people are masking anger with sarcastic "humor", I can't give in and let it get me down. I agree, but as I told her, "Let's say someone punches you in the arm one day. OK, you're gonna be mildly annoyed. But the next one is going to be more annoying. I've had 10 years of punches." At one point she said that if I am going to give my anger full vent, I simply can't do that job. It wasn't a threat, more like, "Please don't go that route because you can't do that and we don't want to lose you." I'm all, You're right, I can't do it. I can't do it anymore. I am sick of being the public's punching bag. (And in fact, I did once have an old lady punch me in the arm.) I am, at this point, willing to take a big pay cut to get out of there. I am so sick and tired of that place. I do like the company and our managers, though not perfect, are great. But, as I told store manager, 99% of my problems at work are customers. The good ones just can't make up for the jerks anymore.

I have a computer again, with unlimited data internet now, so there's no reason I can't be constantly applying for jobs.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Are there any minimal customer contact positions you could put in for? Price changing is a good example. You might have to direct someone to the eggs, but you aren't in the same spot all day. It's also pretty easy once you learn where everything is.
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

so there's no reason I can't be constantly applying for jobs.
      Go for it, and good luck. It takes extra effort to job hunt while working, but it's better than doing nothing until you lose or quit your job.
      Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I'm sorry your job has pushed you to the limit. Anybody with any sense right now should know that if you use a card to shop at any stores, your information is going to get compromised.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          His "joking"--passive-aggressive attack--was an attempt to get a reaction out of me, because I'm somehow responsible.
          Some days I can't take this, either. I keep waiting to get called on it, either by the SC or a manager. Haven't yet. I'm told I have an excellent glare, and I know from experience that my "blank" face is basically a glare.

So when I hear someone say "I should just get a number when I walk in the door! " I just look at them. Same when I call a number and someone loudly says "BINGO!" I used to think that was okay, like they're entertaining them self, or something. Now I feel that it's a passive-aggressive way to say that we took too long, and a customer has to "win" some kind of game to get helped.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
            Some days I can't take this, either. I keep waiting to get called on it, either by the SC or a manager. Haven't yet. I'm told I have an excellent glare, and I know from experience that my "blank" face is basically a glare.

So when I hear someone say "I should just get a number when I walk in the door! " I just look at them. Same when I call a number and someone loudly says "BINGO!" I used to think that was okay, like they're entertaining them self, or something. Now I feel that it's a passive-aggressive way to say that we took too long, and a customer has to "win" some kind of game to get helped.
            Awww, so you mean when you call for customer F9, I can't say "You sunk my battleship"? *purely joking* >_>
            Violets are blue,
            Roses are red,
            I bequeath to thee...
            A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Could you maybe change careers? I was fed up with my previous position ( grill at a restaurant, the other kitchen staff quit and they didn't hire more), and I now work in machining. See if there is an old passion that can make you money.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                I'm all, You're right, I can't do it. I can't do it anymore. I am sick of being the public's punching bag. (And in fact, I did once have an old lady punch me in the arm.) I am, at this point, willing to take a big pay cut to get out of there. I am so sick and tired of that place. I do like the company and our managers, though not perfect, are great. But, as I told store manager, 99% of my problems at work are customers. The good ones just can't make up for the jerks anymore.
                You and I are totally in the same boat. I'm getting tired of the crap from both Corporate and customers, and I'm looking for something better. I've got a really good lead, and hopefully I will hear from them sometime this week; I was hoping to get out of my current job before Black Friday, but I'd be very surprised if I can.

And yes, all the verbal abuse does start to feel almost physical after a while. Verbal beatdowns are not much better than physical ones. It wears you down and can even lead to physical sickness.

I wish you the very best of luck in getting a better job.
                Last edited by XCashier; 11-09-2014, 03:42 PM.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I don't know if it's part of where we live, social awkwardness, or people being just not right in the head, but the "humor" that a lot people use just isn't funny. But the problem is, they think they're hilarious.

The people who give you a 50 or 100 dollar bill then yell "Just made it this morning in my basement herr herr!" or "Doesn't scan, it's free!" are universal annoyances, but around here, there's people who find humor in pointing out really obscure, stupid things or bringing up the past and using it as humor.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

No, they're not funny, and yes - go for it. Here's wishing you all the best
                    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                    What's the difference?
                    We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                      The people who give you a 50 or 100 dollar bill then yell "Just made it this morning in my basement herr herr!"
                      "That's interesting, sir. I need to phone the police now..."
                      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                        "That's interesting, sir. I need to phone the police now..."
                        No, no, not the police. The Secret Service.

Just as official. Even less of a sense of humor.
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                          No, no, not the police. The Secret Service.

Just as official. Even less of a sense of humor.
                          Definitely NO sense of humor. They also have ZERO patience for cocky asses, which my late ex-stepfather discovered the hard way.

Seems as if one of his former stepsons (by ex-wife #1) had come to their attention after a letter reached the White House making threats against the then POTUS.

A pair of agents showed up at our house and were asking questions about the ex-stepson (who at this time was locked up in the state pen - I'll save that story for another thread) and had mentioned our family in this letter.

Uh . . . have no love for this guy myself, neither did my Mom. This guy even went so far as to threaten our family (said when he got out he'd burn our house down w/everybody inside) so my Mom was definitely giving them what info she had on this skank (and we had no idea of his wherebouts at that time other than he was locked up and Mom had refused all contact with him for obvious reasons.)

Stepdad, OTOH, decided to act like a jerk and answered questions with such asinine comments as "Why do you want to know?" "I ain't gotta talk to you" . . .that kind of crap.

Which they have no tolerance for and basically gave him a choice of cooperating or they'd take him into custody for obstruction of justice!

Mom told him either he could tell them what he knew or she'd let them take him in and she wouldn't come get him.

Changed his (and his friend Miller's) tune real quick. They left after he finally decided to give them what info he had on the skank and we didn't hear back from them.

As for the skank in question who caused the ruckus: he had a few years tacked on to what he was already serving for his stunt and transferred to a FEDERAL pen (W. Va, I think it was.) But either way we haven't had to worry about this dude since.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                          X