*Homer drool*

Comment

• Quoth morgana View Post
        MMmmmmm, waffles . . .

*Homer drool*
        "Waffle runoff..."

Comment

• Quoth Tama View Post
          We have Biscuitvilles here, they're only open for breakfast. I'm going to guess most of their customers are elderly though
          I go to Biscuitville at least twice a month . . . and I'm not elderly.

However, they and Bojangles' seems to have that kind of clientele early in the mornings when I'm headed to work. You could say it's part of some folks' routine that gives them something to do when they're retired.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

• Hell, the old BK back home had its own little "breakfast club" of elderly folks every single day; they even had one of the Handicapped parking spots next to the door marked with a sign reserving it for the "club's" President until 8AM daily
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• What is with all these old folks getting up so early? I'm retired, age 69, and sleep to at least 10:00 every morning, various commitments permitting. Of course I always stay up until after midnight.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• The breakfast places around here have all kinds of names ranging from Jim's Diner, to Homeskillet, to ones that make me think they couldn't decide on a name so they just chose something random. Like Birch Door or Horseshoe. There's one that's called Over Easy, which is not brilliant because over easy eggs (or any runny egg yolk) make me nauseous. If I accidentally get served runny yolk, I will gag. Sooooo I've never been to that place, even though I'm sure you can get actual cooked eggs.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• Ironclad, I hear you. I'm 67, also retired; bedtime is right around 2 am, gettin' up time is anywhere between 9 am and 2 pm.

Breakfast club? Pfffft.

Comment

• Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                    What is with all these old folks getting up so early? I'm retired, age 69, and sleep to at least 10:00 every morning, various commitments permitting. Of course I always stay up until after midnight.
                    Hmm, I'm barely past 50, and have trouble sleeping more than 7 hours in a night, more often 6. Of course, I also take afternoon naps on non-work days.

Comment

• Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                      What is with all these old folks getting up so early? I'm retired, age 69, and sleep to at least 10:00 every morning, various commitments permitting. Of course I always stay up until after midnight.
                      Well so many folks got up so early for so many years they continue that habit. A neighbor that was a letter carrier got up at 4am every day even after he retired and so did his wife. That was their habit.
                      For many years I ate at a little joint called Miss Betty's Sit-in. She had the best breakfast ever and it was cheap. My usual breakfast was two biscuits and gravy with 4 slices of bacon and two scrambled eggs with sweet-tea to wash it down. If she thought you still looked hungry she'd bring you more at no charge. It was like eating at your mom's or grandmother's. A lot of people were very sad when she retired.
                      That building now has an Egyptian restaurant now and the food is still good just not Miss Betty's.
                      Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

• To get back on topic:
                        Any replies from Betty, Ghel? Did a strong breeze finally knock down this house of cards?
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

• No, Betty hasn't responded to the voicemails I left her. I'm not sure what our next step will be. We really need to have her and her husband come in and talk with us about how/whether they intend to keep the restaurant open when they're having such a hard time making ends meet.
                          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                          -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Quoth Tanasi View Post
                            Well so many folks got up so early for so many years they continue that habit.
                            My mother's parents were used to getting up with the sun and going to bed with the sun. Eventually, of course, Grandpa retired (Grandma had, sadly, long since died.) I had been living at their house for quite some time (long story, irrelevant to this) and one summer morning I jerked awake at 9 a.m., realizing I hadn't heard Grandpa get up. I rushed madly the length of the house to his bedroom, sure that he'd died during the night.

Nope. He was just sleeping in.

Back on topic: Ghel, how long does Betty have to respond? Especially considering how long this has been going on.
                            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• There isn't really a set time period for Betty to respond. The pre-foreclosure letter we sent has expired by now, but we don't actually want to foreclose. The property probably isn't worth what she owes on it, and it certainly isn't worth what she owes plus her tax liens. All my supervisor has been saying is to "keep the pressure on them."

ETA: I managed to get hold of Betty at the restaurant this morning. She's still claiming that all the tax liens should be paid, either in her bankruptcy repayment or more recently, including with the $38,000 loan she got from the credit union. But that doesn't scan with the title work we got. It shows IRS tax liens filed between 2008-2011 totaling about $20,000, and state tax liens filed 2010-2018 totaling about $78,000. If she's on some sort of payment plan, that could reduce the amount owed. But the liens aren't showing as paid. So I told her she NEEDS to call me back this week to schedule a time for her and her husband to come in to discuss the tax liens and property taxes with us. I won't hold my breath.
                              Last edited by Ghel; 05-08-2018, 06:16 PM.
                              "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                              -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Betty should run for some high political office. She's got the Reality Blinders installed, so she can't properly perceive what's actually happening. She's got the Total Denial system running, blocking out any possible blame or possibility of unhappy things happening. We know she's good with Story Time, which spins anything that gets past the first two into rainbows and candy floss and good times, all around.
                                Why, if you just marvel at it a moment, you can easily overlook the fact that it's all made out of dung not fit to fertilize the garden with.

Comment

Working...
                                X