This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tow Files: Christ-Mess Edition

Well, Christmas is nearly upon us. I tend to forget about it these days, having long lost my youthful avarice for presents and any desire to go nuts with decking halls (Except for that no-good squealer Andy Hall in the 3rd grade, I'll deck THAT smug little bastard any day of the week) It usually only dawns on me when I get the occasional Xmas card in the mail, like this one that just got here today:

"Dear Argabarga, Having a wonderful time in juvenile hall, wish you were here, regards, Jimmy"

"P.S. My bunkmate gets out this week, and when he finds you, he's going to make you his b...."

Woah, Jimmy! Watch the language! I can't read THAT on this PG-rated message board! The NERVE! I hope they short sheet you bed again for that!

Anyway, onwards to some holiday cheer.

The Grinch is Slacking

Only one ruined Christmas?

That doesn't seem right, not with two weeks of December under my belt. But let's check the box score here.... hmmmm... 23 tows, 10 drops, and, yep, only 1 ruined Christmas.

This is, of course, not counting the middle fingers given by passing motorists. Those can't really be counted as such since without an audio track, I can't be sure they're cursing me for ruining their holidays or just telling me I'm number one.

Special honorable mention to the guy who stopped his car in the middle of traffic in an intersection when he saw me on the cross-street to give me his silent digital opinion on my industry, or the lady who switched to driving with her wrists so she could give em' to me akimbo, that's worth a half-a-ruined xmas, right?

And, no offense to you miss, recipient of my one confirmed ruined Christmas, but, if that $75 you had to cough up for the drop was really and truly the last money you had to your name from here to the end of the year, as you claimed, well, that wasn't going to be MUCH of a Christmas in my opinion.

Your threat to never do business with us again was likewise charming.

Seeing as we couldn't get it through your head that "permit parking only" signs mean exactly that. And only that. And there are no implied or hidden messages excepting quick visits to friends to "just drop off some stuff". Yet you STILL insisted we were in the wrong? That was enough for me to boldly predict that we'll probably be getting (and giving) the business from you time and time and time again.

Your threat is as hollow as the light-up plastic Santa in the yard, and just as enlightening....

One Good Bad, and One Bad Good

After a week of sitting idle, someone turned the crank of the Fraud-o-Matic 9000 at that apartment I've been having trouble with lately and popped out another fake permit. As I suspected, this was the best one yet, as they're learning how to forge better and better. But, also as foretold, I'm getting harder and harder to fool. This time we got a drop on them as they came running when they heard the truck, and didn't even argue, they just said "yeah, it's fake, how much I owe?" It's almost like they basked in the shadow of the monolith for too long and are now actually developing intelligence... pretty soon they'll discover fire and civilization will be on it's way.

Now, on the other end of the spectrum, out in Dizzarbo Land (no that's NOT a typo) was a genuine, legit, office-issued permit that the secretary wrote up with an expiration date of...... 18/24

18/24?

18/24??

What is this? I don't even..... what... you of all people shouldn't be screwing things up like this! Ahh.... my brain! Ahh! AHHHHHH!

YEARGGGHHHHHH!!!!

Oh... wow... what a trip.... did anyone else see those dancing sea monkeys with their adorable little canes and top hats, or was that just me? Wait, how long have I been out? Where did the last two days go? Oh man, I hate these long blackouts.... and why do I always come out of them with dirt and mud up to my knees and these strange abrasions on my hands?? I hope I didn't hurt anyone... who didn't deserve it at least.

Keep All Hands, Elbows and Permits Inside the Car at all Times

Suddenly, it's turned into amateur magician night around here. That is to say, people have been walking up to the counter and then hoping to impress us by miraculously pulling parking permits out of thin air, or from behind their ears, or up their sleeves, or coat pockets, or purses, or, well just a out every orifice the healthy human mind can imagine (yes, that one too) EXCEPT from where they REALLY need to be. IN THE CAR.

I repeat

IN

THE

CAR

To be legally parked, you MUST have a PERMIT for your lot, and that permit MUST be in the car, in a way that makes it VISIBLE from the outside.

It's explained to you when you get the permit, some places make you SIGN papers proving you understand it, and yet time and time again, people fail to follow the rules and then come after us like it's OUR fault because we should, for a multitude of reasons, have known their permitless car had a permit.....

It is NOT a failure on our part to not have an industrial-sized x-ray machine on hand to scan your car, radio antennae to valve stem and try to find where you've hidden yours.

It is NOT a failure on our part to not "check the list" becuase you're on it. Hello? We DON'T have a list!! Same way the store doesn't have a magical neverending backroom and hotels don't have those extra hidden rooms when they sell out, there IS NO master list to check, that's why they GAVE YOU A PERMIT.

It is NOT a failure on our part to not just instinctively know via our immense psychic powers that you okay'd a friend/fiend/family member to use your spot and just forgot to hand over the permit. We as a species haven't yet developed that particular mutant ability, though a select few have grown some very interesting tumors in the process of trying. Not exactly what we were aiming at, but kinda in the ballpark, go team!

It is NOT a failure on our part to not recognize your car because "you park there all the time". This may shock you, but the reason they run ads on TVs for Honda dealerships is because they make a LOT of Honda Accords, HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of them each year. And they'd like to SELL the ones they made... and as speshul a snowflake as Mommy says you are notwithstanding, you aren't the ONLY bloke who actually BOUGHT one. Heck there's 2 Lotuses, 3 Maseratis and 2 Lamborghinis in this town, even owning one of THOSE doesn't mean we can't mistake you for someone else. Oh, if only there was a way to make yours UNIQUE somehow! Like if there was a special kind of tag or slip of paper you could put on it somewhere.... then we'd know... too bad they haven't invented such a thing yet*.

* The preceding was Sarcasm TM. Sarcasm is not for everyone, consult your physician before use, side-effects include snarkiness, world-weariness, general disdain for humanity, dry mouth and insomnia.

Finally, it's NOT a failure on my part to NOT sterilize you as to protect the human genome from congenital stupidity, it's just that pesky human rights thingy we've got going up in here, but, a man can dream...... he can dream.....

I think I've mentioned in passing before that the owner of Friendly Neighborhood Towing also owns a few real estate ventures, including apartment blocks,one of which we got one of the no-see-um-permit folk from. This gentleman complained rather loudly that "for what I pay for parking, I don't need to put up any permits!" When that argument got him nowhere, he loudly proclaimed he was going to talk to the property owner and we'd all be in big trouble for it.... we told him he'd be wasting his time, since the owner of that building also owns our towing company. To which he said "YOU'RE LYING!!!" Well, go ahead, prove us wrong, we'll be waiting to hear how that goes.

Compounded Suck

And now we close with the winner of this week's "Golden Sphincter" award for outstanding achievement in the field of assholism.

Not only was this guy a "forgot my permit" tow, who tried the usual harangues of "I live there" - "you should KNOW my car by now" - "I don't care what my lease says about visible permits" , but, once those were exhausted and he was signing the papers to get the car back... he, in drop dead seriousness mind you, asked:

"So, how do I know you haven't taken anything off my car?"

Uh...... come again?

"How do I KNOW you haven't sold any off the parts off my car?!"

Wait, you honestly think we'd do that? Oh my God, you do..... Why on Earth would we do that? And if we did, why on Earth would we give it back to you if you can't drive it off? Do you honestly think we want to deal with you MORE than we already have? Or vice versa? You're implying a level of dishonesty in us that's so cartoonishly exaggerated that you'd think we all had pale blue skin, wore black capes, and twirled our mustaches with glee as we tied hapless young maidens to the railroad tracks.... this is the most OUT THERE accusation I've ever had leveled at me, and keep in mind, I've dealt with actual paranoid people before.

Well, fortunately, even though that stunned ME silent, the Towing Manager had the perfect comeback.

"Stop being an ass"

"WHAT?"

"I said stop being an ass, we didn't do that, and you KNOW we didn't"

"I'M THE ASS HERE?? YOU GUYS STOLE MY CAR, MADE ME PAY $130 TO GET IT BACK AND I'M THE ASS????"

"Yes, you are"

Sometimes, you have no choice, diplomacy be damned, you just gotta call it like you see it and start shooting....

And trust me, you're the LAST person I'd take anything from, especially off your car. If anything, I'm going to ADD something to you car after your petulant little outburst, like sugar, in the gas tank... But since we don't condone that kind of behavior, you'll just have to settle for your award, it's not the most flattering of trophies, but I'm sure it'll look good on your mantle next to the others you've no doubt won.

And, for your rescuing of your car just SECONDS before we were ready to fire up the sawzall and reduce it to scrap and component parts and reap a small fortune.... DRAT! And DOUBLE DRAT! Foiled Again!! *shakes fist at sky* Oh, what's this over here?

A runabout!

I'LL STEAL IT!

NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!!!

*drives off into sunset*

Happy Holidays, see you later.
    Last edited by Argabarga; 12-19-2014, 05:56 AM.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

When I see a tow truck, my first inclination is not to flip off the driver. Because the only time I have anything to do with a tow truck is when I NEED a tow truck.

For these folks to react so badly? I'm guessing the reason is due to some situation they brought upon themselves.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Mr. "You Stole Parts of My Car" must have a rather unique concept of time, if he thinks you had enough of it to do what he was claiming you did.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
        Woah, Jimmy! Watch the language! I can't read THAT on this PG-rated message board!
        Bwahahaha! Oh you were serious. Let me laugh even harder.
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

So, your Sarcasm (tm) is why I have a hard time sleeping and a dry mouth. I may have to take you to court over that. /Sarcasm (tm)
          I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Woah, Jimmy! Watch the language! I can't read THAT on this PG-rated message board!
            Well, we're really closer to PG-17 around here
            * The preceding was Sarcasm TM. Sarcasm is not for everyone, consult your physician before use, side-effects include snarkiness, world-weariness, general disdain for humanity, dry mouth and insomnia.
            Do not TAUNT Happy Fun Arga...
            Quoth bainsidhe View Post
            I'm guessing the reason is due to some situation they brought upon themselves.
            Pfft. Don' be ridikulus. They haven't done anything wrong or improper, they simply either broke the law by parking where they have no right to park, or failed to follow some exceedingly simple rules if they DO have the right. Nothing major.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              Well, we're really closer to PG-17 around here
              EricKei, we need to talk to you... Now, about this pregnant 17-year-old...

... You have the right ...
              ... thispieceofpaperhadfortysevensentences...
              Last edited by dalesys; 12-19-2014, 01:50 PM.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                EricKei, we need to talk to you...
                I wasn't there, nobody saw me, you can't prove anything - AMNESIA DUST TO THE FACE! - *vanishes*
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Yeah, an tow yard selling parts off of towed cars... I'm pretty sure even the most donut-addled cop would figure that Master Criminal Scheme in about three minutes once he got two calls in a week for such an idea. Not much of a risk for John Q. Citizen.

Comment

A runabout!
                    I'LL STEAL IT!
                    NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!!!
                    Kudos for the obscure cartoon reference. That particular sound bite was my ringtone for a while.

As for 'stealing parts off towed cars', a lot of people would be surprised at what some of the less-reputable tow companies get up to. The guy was still an ass for implying it, but it HAS happened. There was a towing company a number of years ago 'round these parts that got nailed for such shenanigans. Usually it was limited to things like stereos, laptop computers, cell phones, or digital cameras left in the car, but there were instances where batteries and custom wheels turned up missing.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      EricKei, we need to talk to you... Now, about this pregnant 17-year-old...

... You have the right ...
                      ... thispieceofpaperhadfortysevensentences...
                      ... the twenty-seven 8 x 10 colored glossy pictures with the circles and Arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one ...
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                        ... the twenty-seven 8 x 10 colored glossy pictures with the circles and Arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one ...
                        (Singing) You can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant.

We're giving away our age, knowing that.
                        Last edited by gerund; 12-19-2014, 11:33 PM. Reason: Old timers

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          I wasn't there, nobody saw me, you can't prove anything - AMNESIA DUST TO THE FACE! - *vanishes*
                          Quoth gerund View Post
                          (Singing) You can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant.
                          If the PG 17 is littering... Beastiality!

What word does Arlo sing different in the original vs. the remake?
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

... he, in drop dead seriousness mind you, asked:

"So, how do I know you haven't taken anything off my car?"

Uh...... come again?

"How do I KNOW you haven't sold any off the parts off my car?!"

Wait, you honestly think we'd do that? Oh my God, you do.....
                            Well, to be honest, it has happened. To me.
                            Well, not quite, but close. Attend:

I was involved in a front-end accident, and my car had to be towed. I'm a member of the "three-alpha" club (one that I think Arga is okay with) and had to have my car towed. This being about 25 miles from my home, I was okay with paying the club-rate for "miles over 7." However, when they got there, they said it was a busy night and they'd deliver the car to my house the next day.
                            I ended up in an emergency room on the way home (my wife's insistence, after she came to pick me up) and was diagnosed with mild whiplash. I went home, had some "good drugs" and was out of it for a few days.
                            The tow company never delivered my car.
                            It was about a month later when I called them and finally went there to deal with it. They wanted 30 days storage fees, at $30/day. I refused to pay. (Hold on, Arga, I'll explain.)
                            Here's the "sold my parts" bit: they didn't, but as I left I looked into my car and saw they had taken the spare tire out. They had used it as a spare for some other person's flat tire.
                            Repeat: THEY USED MY PROPERTY FOR A REPAIR ON ANOTHER PERSON'S CAR. Which is why I can understand the question your jerk asked.

To finish my story, now.
                            I called my auto club, explained what they were charging me, and explained the situation to them. They agreed that this is an "interrupted tow" and they had no right to keep my car in their lot even one day - they should have delivered it when they told me they would.
                            The club called me back later, said it had been worked out, and all I would own the tow company is for the "over 7 miles at club rate" charge.
                            When my car was delivered, the driver said "okay, that will be $300." I showed him the check for $72, told him "This is what you get, it's an auto club tow." He said he wasn't told that, got on his radio, and was told "Nope, it's an ordinary tow." "Really? He says otherwise." Then I hear Bob (the man who wanted $1100 in storage from me) gets on the radio and "GODDAMNIT IT *IS* A CLUB TOW!!!1111!!!" The driver turns to me and says, "Okay, club tow it is." I gave him his check and he left.
                            My guess? The club called Bob, told him "you will treat him right, or you will lose your club affiliation." And club tows were this company's staple business.
                            I must add, though, when the car was delivered, it did have a spare tire. (Don't recall if the club was involved in that aspect of it.)

Now, I'm sure Arga's company is honest and above board (they are contracted by the city, after all.) But this jerk must have had experiences similar to mine, and is being over-cautious. (To the point of being an ass, agreed.)

By the way, this all happened about 10 years ago, and I don't mind giving them a bad name. If you ever have to be towed in Escondido, CA, if your only choice is 5-Star Towing, push the damn car yourself, you'll get better customer service.
                            Last edited by Captain Trips; 12-20-2014, 12:58 PM.
                            I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                              When I see a tow truck, my first inclination is not to flip off the driver. Because the only time I have anything to do with a tow truck is when I NEED a tow truck.

For these folks to react so badly? I'm guessing the reason is due to some situation they brought upon themselves.
                              SO this. I've never in my life been towed for parking illegally. I've only been towed after an accident (car not drivable) or the car broke down (again, not drivable by definition).

I've never had a bad experience with a tow company, either with 3 alpha, with my insurance company, or when I've paid cash.

I understand that any industry has shady characters. But most people won't ever interact with those goofs. And there is a solution to dealing with them: don't. That's what the state AG is for.
                              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                              X