X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EricKei
    replied
    Owtchie. I have some degenerated discs (lower back and neck) thanks to an accident a few years ago. Not as bad as you guys, but I get the super happy fun times pain fairly often, too. ~_~ Best part -- I'm on high blood pressure meds, so NSAIDS (read: just about any painkiller other than Tylenol) are a bad idea, and I'm more or less immune to Tylenol. x.x My major issue, between this and other factors, is that I can't stay upright long enough to do something like cashiering without inducing additional pain and dizziness after about an hour or so. 'Tis why i have a desk job.

Leave a comment:

• DGoddessChardonnay
    replied
    Quoth Food Lady View Post
    A weight lifted, literally! I have the same disease as you; at least it's comforting to know someone understands.
    Add me to the "going through similar" club - Lumbar Spinal Stenosis was the diagnosis I received 2 years ago, as well as having every single disc in that region herniated (one even had a slight tear according to the MRI) and Sciatica as a by-product of all that. Throw in the bottom 2 vertebrae having a little bit of deterioration - yeah, it makes standing or squatting or sitting for long periods a PITA.

If I'm walking around or alternating between sitting and walking or lying down, I'm okay. Luckily I'm not flaring up too bad (but when it does, my right hip feels like it's grating against something with every step and I jerk when I walk.)

I keep prescription anti-inflammatory meds and pain meds on hand that I'll take before I leave the house for work. If I'm doing okay in the evening, I won't take them unless I'm flaring up (which happens from time to time.) I've had to learn to pace myself as well as still be careful with how I'm lifting stuff, as well as how much I try to lift at one time so I don't throw something out and rupture a disc.

So if for some reason I look like I may be scowling, don't take it personally - that look means my lower back and/or hips are flaring up and it's uncomfortable.

Leave a comment:

• Food Lady
    replied
    Ha! That took me a second.... I'm younger than you for sure!

Leave a comment:

• dalesys
    replied
    ... I have an 80s birthday party to go to!
    You're that old and still have to work?

Guess I'd better forget about any Social Security being left for me!

Leave a comment:

• Catwoman2965
    replied
    I feel your pain. My PT job was insane each and every day I worked from before Thanksgiving until right before I left for the holidays. At which point I worked 6 out of 8 days, on top of my FT job. I was cranky, crabby, and sick of it all. And sitll had to contend with customers who complained about how little stock we had (why yes, 3 solid weeks of awesome sales will deplete it) and whine about how they couldn't get stuff ordered and in time for Christmas, without paying a ton for expedited shipping. Again, your problem, not mine.

I've concluded, now that I had some time off with famiy, and its slowed down, that the job is what made me crazy and stressed. But I'm hoping to be able to quit in May, so there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.

Leave a comment:

• Food Lady
    replied
    I felt worse for my coworker, but yes, the daggers at my back as I was counting were uncomfortable. I'm just continually angry that Fridays and Saturdays are like this. Heck, even Monday was. One particular salesfloor girl spent her entire shift cashiering this past Monday. I couldn't thank her enough, nor grocery guy, who got very little done in his dept. At one point I had to tell him, "Send someone else. You have enough to do!" I hope tonight is better, and tomorrow I'm cafe, which will be hard, but not like last Saturday. I'm off this Saturday and not answering my phone if it's work; I have an 80s birthday party to go to!

Leave a comment:

• BrenDAnn
    replied
    I thought of this thread while I was cashiering tonight. Twice, people tuened in quarters for packs of smokes. Both times, I thought of the poor OP and her coworker, and the $41 in change. I can't even imagine what a pain that must've been. Both of them knew, too...they both said I was gonna hate them. We all know THAT'S a favorite to hear!

Leave a comment:

• notalwaysright
    replied

Our customers are blind. If you looked around while shopping or at the front lanes, you could've seen how busy and understaffed we were. And yet, people kept asking me if it was a bad day or being surprised that a mall store should be so busy on a Saturday.
    Serious. Around Halloween, when the fabric store is wall to wall customers, every SINGLE person says "wow, it sure is busy!" Thanks for pointing that out. People outside of the retail world (or call centers or any other job this might apply to) really don't understand how awful repetitive small talk can be.

For example, my mom is very sweet, and would never be knowingly mean to a stranger. However, she is one of those people who gets their receipt, takes a couple steps, then stops to read that receipt. If something is wrong, or she thinks it is, she will try to talk to the cashier who is now helping someone else. In most cases, if there really was a mistake she needs to go to customer service. It's one of my personal pet peeves from my work, and she does not at all get why. She has never worked retail.

Leave a comment:

• siskaren
    replied
    Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
    At my store we have an entire endcap just for gift cards for various stores/restuarants/iTunes/Google Play/Visa/MC/you name it, we probably have it.
    Oh, my local grocery store chain has that too, but I was commenting on what Monterey Jack said about using the CoinStar machine at a grocery store and using those funds to get a gift card for stores other than that grocery store.

Leave a comment:

• DGoddessChardonnay
    replied
    Quoth siskaren View Post
    That's interesting. The ones in a local grocery store chain allow you to get a gift card for that store, but I'd love to get one for another store.
    At my store we have an entire endcap just for gift cards for various stores/restuarants/iTunes/Google Play/Visa/MC/you name it, we probably have it.

Leave a comment:

• siskaren
    replied
    Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
    The one in my store does not charge a fee so long as you ask for a gift card to a number of different stores (Best Buy, iTunes, GameStop, ect.)
    That's interesting. The ones in a local grocery store chain allow you to get a gift card for that store, but I'd love to get one for another store.

Leave a comment:

• Monterey Jack
    replied
    Quoth Gilhelmi View Post

I would say change machines, but those cost money.
    The one in my store does not charge a fee so long as you ask for a gift card to a number of different stores (Best Buy, iTunes, GameStop, ect.)...I'm surprised more people don't do this. Helped a lady out just this afternoon with her coins (two of which were stuck together with a wad of gum. Good thing I was wearing gloves at the time), and she cycled through three screens of potential gift card options before settling on cash...and then was all like, "Oooo, how much was taken out...?" If I had sixty dollars' worth of loose change, I'd select a Best Buy card in a heartbeat.

Leave a comment:

• Tama
    replied
    Try getting $100 in penny rolls. Still, yours is worse...loose change.

Leave a comment:

• Seanette
    replied
    Jeesh, and I thought getting $5 or $10 in change dropped on me was annoying!

Leave a comment:

• Gilhelmi
    replied
    I understand money is tight, but $41 in change?

I would say change machines, but those cost money. Banks, but you Have to have an account with them before they are willing to look at you (I assume they could not afford to have a bank account).

I save my change, I have about $100. I will probably take it to the bank one of these days. I will only use it (at a store) if I am feeling particularly EVIL, and I am not that evil.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X