This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Latekin
    Yeah, I'm just waiting for him to get arrested and try using the "but I gave it baaaack!" or "but I haven't had it for months!" excuse.
    He's still on the hook for rental charges, right?
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
      He's still on the hook for rental charges, right?
      The original fee of course, and all extras up until it was found. But since Tim never turned it in is the clock still running?

Doesn't really matter. Does anyone here think Latekin's company will ever see any of their money, especially once Tim's a ward of the state?

Hey, maybe dad will do right by his son!

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post

Hey, maybe dad will do right by his son!
        Oh he'll do right by him alright, bitching and moaning about how they sent his little angel to prison for NO REASON WHATSOEVER! Because you can't steal a car if you return it!!! What kind of BS is that? The prosecution just had it out for him, again!
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Latekin View Post
          Vehicle is surprisingly undamaged. A few minor scratches, but meh, we'll take cosmetic issues over major engine/bodywork issues.

The plates are indeed back on the vehicle.

He's still gonna be charged. He stole it, ditching it later doesn't do anything to negate the fact he committed a crime in the first place.

Tiny Update: He'd apparently been renting the house it was found outside of. Since he's two months late on the rent, it's safe to say he's probably not living there anymore.
          Sounds like he moved out in the middle of the night before he could be legally evicted, which should be of no surprise.

And I wouldn't be surprised if he gets picked up by the police for something totally unrelated and they run a check on him and find these outstanding charges.

That's how some folks get caught here in the US: they get pulled over for random plate check and their license/ID number is ran through the computer to check for outstanding warrants.

Not sure if something similar is the norm in Australia or not but either way, they'll find him.

And that will most likely be a Kodak moment to be sure.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Oh my god, I am dying to hear the end of this. Clueless + bogan = entertaining.

In s sort of related story (people who thought they were so much smarter than the police the head Victoria's forensic science department once told a class this awesome story:

Two blokes who had been convicted of several crimes of the drug selling/consuming variety decided that the third bloke they generally did this with was too mouthy/annoying for their good. So they killed him. In an effort to make sure they didn't get caught they took a couple of measures to conceal the identity of the corpse. They cut off his head, and put it down a wombat burrow in one state, and the threw the body down a mine in another. After a while, they got a bit paranoid, retrieved the head, and moved it again. In the meantime, someone had spotted the headless body down the mine, the cops came and got it out, and shortly after the two were arrested.

The body had been instantly identified: they had left his wallet in the back pocket of his jeans.

Comment

Here are two stories of idiots during things that lead to them getting caught:

1. Refuse to go through security scanner at the airport. Police are called and do security checks. They discover a thirty year old warrant for you failure to show up in court for a rape case.

2. I use to do IT support for the police and would visit the different stations. On this day the officer at the counter was quite happy. It appears that they had made two good arrests that day with no effort. A man with a 10 year old warrant entered the station and applied for a gun license. He didn't leave for a while or with a gun license. A police patrol walking up the Smith st Mall stopped to talk to a known person of interest. The bloke with the known person gave some lip to the police who then did a background check. The lippy bloke was the 2nd most wanted person in the country.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                That's how some folks get caught here in the US: they get pulled over for random plate check and their license/ID number is ran through the computer to check for outstanding warrants.
                That's how they caught an ex-coworker. Got caught speeding in another state and a check discovered he had a warrant out on him. Had to spend 30 days in jail for not showing up in court a few years earlier - lost his job because of it...

Comment

Quoth drjankowska View Post
                  Oh my god, I am dying to hear the end of this. Clueless + bogan = entertaining.

In s sort of related story (people who thought they were so much smarter than the police the head Victoria's forensic science department once told a class this awesome story:
                  The closest thing to that around here was similar. Druggie A and Druggie B tell their supplier, Druggie C, to meet them out at a remote state park for a drug deal.

Druggie C shows up, whereupon Druggies A and B proceed to murder C for his cash and dump his body in the lake.

Figuring that getting Druggie C's money and stash is great, but having his CAR would be even BETTER, druggie A decides to drive off in C's vehicle while druggie B follows, the gun they used to kill C with is IN THE CAR with A

Five miles down the road, BAM, they hit a state police DUI checkpoint. Druggie A has no good explanation for what he's doing driving someone else's car with a warm gun on his lap.... druggie B suspects the jig is up, and.... tries to drive off.... they've been in prison ever since
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I just remembered an incident of stupid bank robbers that I saw on an Australia true crime show.
                    1. Ambush security guards filling up an ATM
                    2. Get wounded when the guards shoot back but still manage to grab the money.
                    3. Drive off in get away distinctive car.
                    4. Park in a side street.
                    5. Set fire to the car.
                    6. Remove the money from the burning car.
                    7. Run away leaving a blood trail from wounds.

It didn't take the police long to find them.

Comment

I love stupid crook stories. Here are three of my favorites:

Guy walks into a bank and announces a holdup. This bank is very close to an FBI office. It is the agents' payday. Cue the clicking of safeties coming off....

Guy walks into a fast-food place and announces a holdup. This restaurant is located very near the site of a police training seminar, which is on lunch break. Cue the laser sights and clicking of safeties coming off.....

(The all-time winner, IMO, and the recipient of a Darwin) Guy walks past a marked police car into a gun store, where the uniformed officer associated with said car is chatting with the (armed) sales clerk. He starts waving a gun and announces a holdup. Clerk and cop, naturally, promptly remove our rocket surgeon from the gene pool, and cure his oxygen addiction in the process.
                      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

A friend in local forensics has told me that they police will be in the middle of busting a dealer. There are police cars and uniformed offices in the street and in the house. People will knock on the front door and ask to buy drugs.

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                          It'll be less 'catch up' and more 'Tim forgot he was wanted and wandered into the police station to try to steal a pen'.
                          Don't worry - if Tim wanders into the police station, he'll get the Pen.

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                          Oh he'll do right by him alright, bitching and moaning about how they sent his little angel to prison for NO REASON WHATSOEVER! Because you can't steal a car if you return it!!! What kind of BS is that? The prosecutionpersecution just had it out for him, again!
                          Fixed that for you (from the perspective of the bogan's friends and relatives).

Quoth TopEndDave View Post
                          A friend in local forensics has told me that they police will be in the middle of busting a dealer. There are police cars and uniformed offices in the street and in the house. People will knock on the front door and ask to buy drugs.
                          Just demonstrating that there's a reason it's called "dope".
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Was I the only one hoping that natural selection would do its part and the-skeleton-formerly-known-as-Tim would turn up in the middle of the desert?

And we here don't realize how BIG some places are. You can get from Land's End to John O'Groats in a day.Three hours from the South West,you can be in London.Maybe eight to the North.That's the sort of distance some people travel to their next door neighbour.
                            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                              Was I the only one hoping that natural selection would do its part and the-skeleton-formerly-known-as-Tim would turn up in the middle of the desert?

And we here don't realize how BIG some places are. You can get from Land's End to John O'Groats in a day.Three hours from the South West,you can be in London.Maybe eight to the North.That's the sort of distance some people travel to their next door neighbour.
                              Very true. I've driven hundreds of miles in a day in the UK going "there and back" because it's very hard to keep going without falling off the edge
                              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                                ... it's very hard to keep going without falling off the edge
                                If it wasn't for the Rim Fence...
                                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                                X