This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tinfoil crown (warning, long)

So, dealing with people and technology always draws out some, let's say 'interesting' people with a variety of theories as to the woes being inflicted upon them. Some of my favorites:

'My ex (whatever) is hacking my computer and messing with me'
    'The government is spying on me / out to get me'
    'Someone keeps getting into my computer and deleting files'
    'I know that someone has control of my computer because the mouse keeps jumping around while I'm typing'
    'So and so has been breaking into my house and keeps changing the password on my computer'

and so on and so forth. Normally you just smile and nod, neither confirming their delusions nor refuting them. After all, maybe the government really is spying on them. If so, there's nothing I could do to detect it or do anything about it. As for the rest of it, either they have a remote desktop access program on their computer (a big, bulky program that allows other people control of your computer) or they don't.

It's obviously a bit more complex than that, but suffice to say many more people think they are the target of persecution than actually are, and in most cases their woes are in fact self inflicted. Regardless, such claims are squarely under the jurisdiction of law enforcement. Even if there is veracity to your claims, there's only so much I can do when you claim someone is routinely breaking into your home when you're not there. Change and upgrade your locks, don't complain to me.

But this client easily took the cake. She didn't have a tinfoil hat, she was bequeathed the tinfoil crown, to rule over all lesser dabblers in paranoia. I'll try to keep this as close to her exact wording as possible.

Me: Hi, this is (Me), I understand you need assistance with your computer?
    TC (Tinfoil Crown): Yes, kinda. You see, my grand daughter is cyber stalking me. She keeps sending me emails from other people's email accounts, and she keeps hacking into my computer, and she's hacked my stereo system, and I'm pretty sure she has bugged my house with her and my grandson's iPad. He's here now, and he has his iPad, should I not have let it back in the house? (no pauses, ever) She's been doing this for a while, and I know it's her, and I've reported it to the police, but they think she's not doing anything and she's just a normal little girl, but I know better. I know she's doing it and I've made her mother take her to a psychologist but he says there's nothing wrong with her but I know she's hacking my hard drive because I keep getting emails from people and I know they're from her. And she keeps mentioning things like "I know (person) is coming over" in her emails but she shouldn't be able to know that unless she was listening to what I was saying so I know she's bugged my house. I changed my email address and I haven't given that to anyone but I am afraid she'll find it anyway, because I accidentally said it over the phone, and she's hacked my phones and is cyber stalking me through them. I changed my phone number but I accidentally said the new phone number while I was in my house so I'm afraid she might have gotten it. I know that you can use iPads as bugs so is there anything I can do to stop her from using my grandson's iPad to spy on me? Also I'm pretty sure she's filled my computer with viruses.

I eventually got her on track, took care of what I could take care of, repeatedly insisted that anything beyond that was a matter for law enforcement, and all was well. But still, if I understand her claims, her 11 year old grand daughter is:
    - Tapping her phones
    - Bugging her house
    - Hacking into her computer
    - Hacking into multiple other people's email accounts
    - Remotely controlling her BOOMBOX STEREO
    - Successfully using her grandson's iPad, which he is actively using, as a surveillance device
    - "Cyber stalking" her

And yet the police and a psychologist find no evidence of this, and find there's nothing wrong with her. Sure, possibility A is that your granddaughter is just *that good*, and is capable of Anything, and is pure evil . But did it ever occur to you that possibility B is that the psychologist was examining the wrong person?

Well with Gravekeeper gone all the crazy is spreading out. Load bearing boss and all that.
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

My old Sony boom box came with a remote control. If the girl added the boom box to a universal remote, that might look like hacking to someone sufficiently technically inept.

And how hard is it to spoof an email header? Not very.

Most of what the grandmother is describing is script-kiddie level hacking.

It is her EXPLANATIONS for how the girl may be doing these things (or not, as the case may be) that aren't based in reality.

And expecting YOU to do anything about it? That's laughably sucky!

Comment

I have a client who sounded almost EXACTLY like this... and she was a highly respected doctor at a certain hospital that shall remained unnamed.

Good to know I'm not alone with my own collection of loonies.

Comment

I wonder if the granddaughter's mom is aware that Grandma thinks her kid is doing these things? If I was the kid's mom I wouldn't leave her alone with Grandma.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
            Good to know I'm not alone with my own collection of loonies.
            If Scrooge McDuck moved to Canada, he'd want to be alone with his own collection of Loonies.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

At least she didn't blame Obama.
              "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I didn't realise how common blaming an ex was until I got into the line of work. It's weird to see how a mix of paranoia, wanting to be a victim, and refusing to take responsibility looks like.

If I was that little girl's mum I'd never let her near her grandmother, or any of my kids really.
                How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

She's protected protected 'cause she made this hat
                  From aluminum foil
                  Where I had this foil-lined
                  In case an alien's inclined
                  To probe her butt or read her "mind"
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                    I didn't realise how common blaming an ex was until I got into the line of work. It's weird to see how a mix of paranoia, wanting to be a victim, and refusing to take responsibility looks like.

If I was that little girl's mum I'd never let her near her grandmother, or any of my kids really.
                    Absolutely. It's fascinating too how unwilling they are to accept any other explanation, as well. It's like it *must* be them.

"My ex husband has control over my computer and keeps moving the mouse around"
                    "There are no remote control tools on your computer, your mouse is moving around because you are touching the touchpad with your palm while typing."
                    "No, it's him, I know it! You don't know him like I do."
                    "Ok, not a problem. Either way, since you use an external mouse, let's disable that touchpad just to be safe."

And 100% agreed regarding separating the grandmother from the grandkids.

Comment

I almost feel sorry for granny TC and the other people with paranoid delusions, just imagine living in a world where everyone is out to get you, and everything is a sign and proof for the delusion.
                      In my IT-trainer days I once had a student who went from slightly odd to full blown psychosis in weeks. We were planning to poison him, we would hack his computer at school and at home, etc. That was pure horror, we never knew what would happen next. Sadly enough it took a rebellion of his fellow students to get him removed and commited, my words weren't enough.
                      No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

The reason

The reason I can't hold on any feeling of being sorry for such people is how hard they try to drag me into their delusions.

It is bad enough that someone believes that others are out to get them or that they think everything they disagree with is a government plot. But you can see how desperate they are to hold onto their beliefs by the fear in their eyes as they try to get you to agree with them.

Interestingly, when I play along but insist on doing experiments to test their theories, or do other research to find the causes of certain things they suddenly start resisting doing any of those tests.

In other words they want blind faith that they are in the right!

They don't want to find out what is right or wrong, they already know they are in the right and thus smarter than the rest of us who are clearly in the wrong.

Any real testing of their beliefs is not allowed, at which point I will loudly and publicly condemn them for the fakers they are.

This goes double in my field of work (computer repair/support), if I am wrong and you are right then why are you coming to me for help? And why is it every single one of my computers work fine (even with all the mods I have done) and your computer can't even boot up?

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                          Well with Gravekeeper gone all the crazy is spreading out. Load bearing boss and all that.
                          Afternoon dose of caffeine now up nose.
                          Wow, that tingles...
                          Why is stupidity not an arrestable offense?

Comment

Quoth redsox33413 View Post
                            Afternoon dose of caffeine now up nose.
                            Wow, that tingles...
                            Aaaand you have violated that unwritten Rule #1 . . . Do NOT eat, drink or do anything else for that matter while reading the posts on CS.

As for the person in the OP: unless you are a computer security expert affiliated w/a top secret international spy organization, you are NOT being spied on through your PC.

Some folks really need a reality check that won't bounce.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I once had a customer tell me she would never buy a wireless router because she didn't want hackers to be able to use it to watch her inside her house. (This was before most devices had built-in webcams; I truly think she thought someone could watch her from inside her computer's monitor via Wi-Fi.)
                              I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                              - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                              - IPF

Comment

Working...
                              X