Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a polite way of saying 'Get the hell out of my way'?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a polite way of saying 'Get the hell out of my way'?

The walkways (read: the spaces between tables) in the restaurant I work are very narrow. Moreso near the front where there's the fish tank every Chinese restaurant needs.

Anyway, it was a slow Easter day until things picked up a little and I was trying to do my usual. In the entrance (imagine a nine by nine foot square behind an arch) there were two groups. One of three, one of two. I don't remember what happened, but apparently the three moved into a blind spot that kept my manager from seeing them, and as I was taking the group of two to a table they were standing right in my path.

I got really confused and apparently it showed on my face. I got them to move to the side and get the two to the table, and when I was turning back to the bar, they were still where I left them. I lead them to a table (after my manager just noticed them in the blind spot) and one of the ladies pipes up how I was rude.

Seriously? You were the ones being rude for not standing in view of the manager and just walking in as if you could sit anywhere you want. You'd think it would be common courtesy to wait your turn for placement before clogging up the traffic in the restaurant.

On a related note, I also get a lot of kids who crowd in front of the fish tanks as I'm carrying out large drink orders. Most of the time I snap at them to go back to their table and there's only been one time where the mother had enough sense to forcefully drag four kids back to their table.

I get snippy because of my OCD, I guess I just can't handle disorder

Why not just let them stand there all day? If you need to get by a simple "excuse me" works. If they're going to go in and hide, they can wait.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

"Excuse me, please" is the politest form.

A longer - and sometimes necessary - form is "Excuse me, please, I need to get through."

"Excuse me, please, I'm trying to take this food to its table."

"Excuse me, please, but I need you to move."

... etc, etc.

"Please excuse me" with a firm tone to it for emphasis, if needed.

"Sir, I have hot food here and wouldn't want to spill it on your child. Please move him/her."

... and other such variations.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
      X