Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I refuse this offer that I cannot refuse!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I refuse this offer that I cannot refuse!

State of Denial

Me: Thank you for calling <red checkmark>, how can I help you?
    SC: Yeah, I just got a couple of messages saying I've reached my data limit and you've added more and charged me for it. I want to decline that.
    Me: *record scratch*
    Me: Decline it?
    SC: Yeah, I'm trying to watch my bill and I don't want any data overages so I just want to decline the charge and turn off the data until my cycle starts again.
    Me: I apologize for any confusion sir but you cannot decline a data overage charge. The message indicated you were over 100% of your plan limit and used extra. So you were charged $45 for the extra. Now if you want to look into a higher data plan, it's possible we can--
    SC: I don't WANT TO PAY for any extra. Is this really so hard to understand?
    Me: No, not at all but the data overage rate is an included part of the plan you agreed to. There's no option to opt out or decline it.
    SC: No, uh uh. That ain't right! That ain't fair! I'm not even sure that's legal. Don't I have the option to decline any charge before I pay the bill?
    Me: No sir, there is no such <red checkmark> policy or law stating that.
    SC: Now hold up. When I got this phone the guy at the store told me that if I went over my data limit I could just call you and you'd take care of it for me.
    Me: Again, I apologize for the confusion but that's incorrect information. We generally don't credit for data overages. Now if you went back to the store and had that person contact us on your behalf or note your account we could easily take care of this.
    SC: I don't even know if he works there anymore!
    Me: I could look into it for you and find out.
    SC: That shouldn't even be necessary. It was a dude in a <red checkmark> uniform at a store. I'm going by what he told me. If he told me wrong, that's not on me, that's on YOU. You need to make this right.
    Me: The issue is sir I have no proof that you were told we'd take care of overages. If I had an account note to that effect I could do it no problem but there's no notes on that here.
    SC: Are you calling me a liar?
    Me: Not at all. I'm simply saying that regardless of whether or not what you are saying is true, if we don't have an official record of it we can't honor it. That's why I suggested you go back to the store. The employee you talked to there could fix this all up for you.
    SC: I don't believe this, I don't believe this. You're going to bust my balls over $45 that I should NOT HAVE TO PAY??
    Me: I might be able to--
    SC: No, I don't want to hear it, I'm done talking to you. Good job dude, you just lost 5 lines to Death Star Wireless! *CLICK*

While I don't doubt that someone at the store MAY have told him that to make the sale, we also all know how well customers (don't) hear things so who knows?
    Last edited by CrazedClerkthe2nd; 05-20-2015, 06:54 PM.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Even if a sales guy were to say such a lie, what idiot would believe that the data limit was just some funny thing for show?

And because I like attaching a car analogy to everything: This is like complaining to the cop (or GM) that your Corvette salesguy said it was just fine if he drove over the limit, because Corvettes are Very Special Cars, and only Mustang drivers have to pay speeding tickets.

Comment

Annnnnnnd he'll do the same hting at Death Star. If you don't want overages, pay for more data to start with! Come on!
      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Monitor it

My Bell DSL for my computers at home work the same way, if I used too much data I get charged big time.

So I did two things to prevent this happening in the future.

1) I upgraded my data plan to make it less likely to go over the limit.

2) And the other thing? I monitor my usage every couple of days or so to insure I don't use too much. Is that so hard to do?

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
          2) And the other thing? I monitor my usage every couple of days or so to insure I don't use too much. Is that so hard to do?
          There are apps to view that and manage your account, but of course that would require one to be *gasp* vigilant and actually pay attention.

There again, if he's got 5 lines (as he claims) data shouldn't be an issue.

And if he does want to go to Death Star, then he'll have to pay for data. I pay for data each month on my mobile share plan (2 lines) and it's only 101 and some change per month.

But then I only have as much data as I need. And how did I figure out how much I needed? They have a handy feature online when I view my account that shows how much data both phones used for the last 3 months.

Not hard at all to figure out. He's just being a cheapskate.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
            There are apps to view that and manage your account, but of course that would require one to be *gasp* vigilant and actually pay attention.
            I'm pretty sure some apps even have a little widget (think that's the name) which shows your current usage on a home screen. That way you see it all the time. I had it for a while, but didn't even come close to the limit so I got rid of it.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
              I'm pretty sure some apps even have a little widget (think that's the name) which shows your current usage on a home screen. That way you see it all the time. I had it for a while, but didn't even come close to the limit so I got rid of it.
              You can also see your usage (at least on the iFruit) by going into the Settings app

There's no excuse why one cannot keep up with what they use. You get a bill in the mail each month, there are phone apps or you can check your phone settings.

Seems as if the easier you make it for folks, the harder they make it on themselves.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Not saying that this guy wasn't an asshole (cause he was) - if you don't read your contract them IMO you waive your right to bitch about it.

I find it facinating that in the US you just charge the overage - in NZ my provider (FodaVone) has done away with casual data on most plans completely.

Basically I have a fixed amount (in my case 7.5gb) per month. I get a text at 80% and a text at 100% at which point my data usage is stopped. I can then 'add on' data (100MB for $6, 500MB for $12 or 1GB for $20) that lasts until my plan renewal. On that plans that do include casual data, this is at 0.69c per mb.

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                You can also see your usage (at least on the iFruit) by going into the Settings app
                Same on the Robot - settings > Data. Even includes a handy graph and an app by app breakdown. You can even set up manual data warnings and force your phone to stop all data at a limit!
                Last edited by EricKei; 05-21-2015, 03:43 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
                How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                  SC: Now hold up. When I got this phone the guy at the store told me that if I went over my data limit I could just call you and you'd take care of it for me.
                  Me: Again, I apologize for the confusion but that's incorrect information. We generally don't credit for data overages. Now if you went back to the store and had that person contact us on your behalf or note your account we could easily take care of this.
                  I'd say it's selective hearing. What the guy at the store PROBABLY told him was that if he went over his data limit he could call and you'd take care of changing his plan to one that allowed more data, and would cost less than paying the overage charges on his original plan.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    I'd say it's selective hearing. What the guy at the store PROBABLY told him was that if he went over his data limit he could call and you'd take care of changing his plan to one that allowed more data, and would cost less than paying the overage charges on his original plan.
                    Willing to bet my next paycheck this is exactly what happened. SC probably didn't hear anything past the "you'd take care of" part.

Comment

Though as a consumer, I do admit that it'd be nice if you could set the data limit to be a hard limit (and it'd no longer work until the monthly reset).

Comment

I get warnings on my phone (and in my email) when I get close to using up my data for the month. I even have an app on my phone that shows a graph showing how much of my data I've used.

I went over it back in January mostly out of necessity. My friends and I were at MAGFest and were trying to get Tom's XBONE logged into the internet so we could play some Jackbox Games. Trouble was, the way the hotel's network was set up, you could access the network, but then had to access a website to click a button to accept the hotel wifi's ToS. Which we couldn't get to work on the Xbone.

I had brought along a mobile hotspot device (which I almost never use) and using it we were able to get onto the internet so the Jackbox Games would work.

It was a month or so later that I got some notices that I was overdue on my bill. Because of the overage in January, my auto-pay hadn't caught the extra, and there was an outstanding balance. Red Checkmark called me up to inform me of it, and I authorized the payment, and then they spent a few minutes asking if I wanted to up my data limit.

I patiently (and repeatedly, when they kept trying to upsell me) explained that I was aware of the overage and that it wasn't going to be a habit, that I'd be going back to my usual data usage and no, I don't need to upgrade my service, thank you very much.

Eventually the rep got the message and thanked me for my time.
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I'll let Guido explain "Offers you cannot refuse" to your kneecaps...
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I don't have that kind of phone (I use a prepaid) so tell me if I'm wrong, but hasn't he already incurred those additional charges? He can't refuse to pay for something he's already used.

Well, can't as in he owes the money. We all know SC's want everything for free.
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Draco View Post
                              Though as a consumer, I do admit that it'd be nice if you could set the data limit to be a hard limit (and it'd no longer work until the monthly reset).
                              Hubs has a Straight Talk phone and I have Tracfone, and both of our phones work that way. Mine's for emergencies so I don't use the internet on it, though, and since we got home internet, we don't use his phone's data very often. I think most prepaid providers do this, if not all of them.
                              The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Working...
                              X