This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Argabarga View Post

But everyone else thought I was crazy, don't I know how DANGEROUS that was? How STUPID it was? How POINTLESS it was!? How SORRY I'd be when I woke up the next morning full of aches and blisters (I didn't)

They were almost offended on a fundamental personal level that I chose to walk somewhere.....
    lol, people act like that here, too. And we're in super hippie land, so I'm always a bit baffled by the reaction. My work is in a shopping center which also has a big box discount store. (every year I expect it will close, but it keeps holding on) Anyway, I often suggest that store might carry something we don't, and if I DARE to say, "you could walk over to *other store*" they are like ! At no point do you cross traffic, in fact you are just walking in front of a few other stores, it is all actually one giant building. But walking is not even thought of. I now say "you could go over" instead.

I remember when I was little my mom's car broke down. Same situation as Arga, nobody lived near us, no bus service, I think the nearest cab company was over in Tacoma, across the Narrows Bridge about 30 minutes away. So in the morning my mom and I walked to the school bus, that took nearly half and hour, then my mom kept walking to work. It was only about 4 miles, but it has a big hill. In the afternoon the bus dropped me at my mom's work in town like it normally did. When she was off we walked home. The hill was a little unpleasant, (according to google maps, the road goes up about 350 feet over about a mile and a half) but it was doable. People kept asking my mom how she got home, and they were like "You walked! With your kid?! I would have called in sick rather than walk!" My mom could have because she was full time with sick leave available, but it didn't occur to her.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

We walked home from my grandma's house after a blizzard had hit in the the middle of the night. It wasn't far, but for a 7 year old, it sure was an adventure. Note we weren't walking WHILE the blizzard was going on (that could actually have been dangerous), but after it had stopped but before the streets were passable by vehicle.
      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Working...
      X