This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who throws a shoe? Really!

This is going to take a little explaining. My place of employment, The Biggest Grocery Store In The World, has an aisle near the front end of the store which is topped with two decks of steel storage racks that extend about 20 feet above floor level (referred to as "the steel", "the racks", or "the rafters" depending on who you ask). We use these racks to store pallets of bulk-buy merchandise and miscellaneous backstock - every night at the beginning of the graveyard shift we bring the forklift out to lower the pallets onto the sales floor to be worked, and at the end of the shift we put them up. The lower level is a good 7-8 feet above the ground, not that that has on at least one occasion stopped a customer from trying to climb into the rafters to grab a case of bottled water and injuring themselves on the way down (but that's a story for another time).

This anecdote occurs as I was on my way to the time clock to sign in for my graveyard shift last night, shortly before the forklift driver is set to clock in and start lowering the boards. My path to the time clock brought me past the steel aisle, where I was approached by a 30s-ish gentleman accompanied by his two daughters. One of them (who was by no means a toddler - she looked to be somewhere in the vicinity of 8-10) was in her socks only. The customer and I have the following exchange;

Cust.: Excuse me, sir?

Me: (I'm not on the clock yet and I'm not really obligated to pay attention, but I'm a nice guy so I do so anyway assuming he's probably just trying to find the boneless olives or something) Can I help you?

Cust.: Can you help me? My daughter threw her shoes up there. (he points up at the racks) Can you get them down?

Me, realizing I'm in way over my head: Hmm... we can try... where did she throw them exactly?

Cust.: I'm not sure... (looks at his daughter) Where did they go?

Daughter: ...Somewhere over there? (points generically)

Me: Well, we'll be pulling the pallets down in a little bit... we can see if they turn up.

So I clock in and start helping unload our freight from the back room. The customer and his girls continue to stand there and stare at the rafters for a good half hour while the forklift driver gets on and closes off the aisle so he can do his job without having to worry about running someone over. He has to physically shoo them off the aisle so they don't continue to stand there and get run over while he does his job.

After a good hour of standing there watching us work, and multiple assurances from myself and my coworkers that we are aware of his cordwainical crisis, he finally gathers that maybe this is going to take awhile and trusts us when we say we'll put the shoes in the lost and found when we find them, and heads up front to pay for the $25 worth of stuff he had in his cart.

In due time, we eventually finished lowering and downstacking the pallets. Lo and behold, the shoes were nowhere to be found, and they didn't appear to be anywhere on the steel itself. The only possibility remaining is that the girl somehow managed to toss her shoes with such precision that they went over the pallets and fell into the couple-of-inches gap between the back end of the steel and the back side of the shelving on the next aisle over - in which case, they're gone - ain't nothin' comin' back from down there, and if it did, you wouldn't want it.

I guess I can't really call the customer himself sucky - he was just stuck in the middle as much as I was. But all the same, this really ought to be a teachable experience - don't let your kids throw their shoes around in public.
    Last edited by Smapti; 05-28-2015, 04:14 PM.

I agree, this was no toddler so this makes less than no sense. And to stand around for over an hour? FAIL!

Comment

I did this when I was a child. I was about the same age as her. I don't really remember what I was thinking at the time, but I was always a heavily sponaneous child.

I didn't get them stuck anywhere though, they broke a flourescent light, which I had to pay for, but other than that nothing happened.

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
        Cust.: Can you help me? My daughter threw her shoes up there. (he points up at the racks)
        Um, why?! Seriously, what was the point?
        Quoth Smapti View Post
        I guess I can't really call the customer himself sucky - he was just stuck in the middle as much as I was. But all the same, this really ought to be a teachable experience - don't let your kids throw their shoes around in public.
        Exactly. I kind of hope they were her favorite pair; it's a good lesson for her to learn not to be so stupid.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

If her arm's that good then get her in a softball league, stat.

Comment

I'd have been in trouble for deliberately throwing away a perfectly good pair of shoes...
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I see these old customers of mine found someplace new to shop...
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

As an aside, throwing your shoes at someone is a terrible insult in Middle Eastern countries. Remember the George Bush press conference incident? Anyway, I saw the thread's title and immediately thought of that.
                Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

The topic title made me think of Austin Powers
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                    I'd have been in trouble for deliberately throwing away a perfectly good pair of shoes...
                    I would have as well.

But then as a child, it never would have occurred to me to do something like that. I know I was a strange child but to actually do things and have a reason for them . . . imagine such a concept.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

OMG, me too! My parents would have been PISSED, especially my father. They'd have made me go home without any shoes and I'd have to wear whatever old pair I still had that might still fit.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'm told I threw a bottle in the giraffe enclosure at the zoo when I was little. Well I was a toddler but still. I agree with what someone else said, get that kid signed up for softball!
                        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

TBH, it never would've occurred to me to throw my shoes into the rafters (or anywhere else). I knew I would've gotten a spanking and a lecture from my parents, but more to the point, it's a stupid thing to do and I knew it even back in childhood.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

To be fair, my parents probably would have been pretty confused if I had thrown my shoes because I was a quiet kid. I have video proof of me at age five sitting calmly unwrapping a present without ripping the paper. So this would have been a huge aberration in behavior and warranted some concern.

The parent in the OP seemed like this was something the kid had done before. Maybe if the kid... I dunno... Had some consequence... She would stop? Even if she had to apologize/thank the people who spent time looking for the darn shoes.
                            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

So when does Daddy return and blame YOU for the fact the shoes can't be found?

Comment

Working...
                              X