This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopping Fraud

Since I work in a call center, I obviously can't see who I'm dealing with, nor verify with their IDs, and I deal with businesses, helping them log back into their accounts online, among other things.

We have to verify the name of the caller, and if it's not on the account, we can't help. I asked the standard verification questions of this caller, and he answered correctly. Then, I had to get into extra enhanced verification to access the online system. That's when it happened. I asked, "what is your date of birth?" That question stumped this guy. He hemmed and hawed for a minute or two, and then confessed that he wasn't actually the authorized signer on the account, and that he was impersonating him. I told him that I needed to speak with the authorized signer, who was not there. At that point, I could go no further.

Fortunately, no information was disclosed to this guy, but since he was trying to breach the account, I had to report it to Fraud, who told me to freeze the online account, which means that to reactivate it, the authorized signer has to physically go into one of our branches, present ID, fill out a form, fax it in, and wait two business days to get it released.

My bosses are really big into catching fraud, and I hope it works out for this customer.

Whew, good thing you caught him when you did.

Comment

Yeah, I'm glad I did, too. I'm a stickler with verification; I tend to over-verify, just to be absolutely sure I'm talking to the right person.

Comment

Quoth Erinesque View Post
        Yeah, I'm glad I did, too. I'm a stickler with verification; I tend to over-verify, just to be absolutely sure I'm talking to the right person.
        I don't blame you, I would be too.

Comment

I'd be glad you over-verify if it was my account. I hope the customer isn't unhappy that you did, though.

Comment

If the customer was asking someone else to do it for him, yeah, the customer will be a pissed off idiot.

When I was working at the cent store, most people loved it when I actually looked at their cards and asked for ID. Some would get mad, but they were usually the ones using husband's/mom's/boyfriend's card.

Sorry, not risking my job by not following the rules.

Comment

I wonder what your bank does if the account holder has moved, and just does all their banking online? Or military members?

Comment

If there is no activity on a bank account for a certain amount of time (varies by state, needless to say), the funds become unclaimed property.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                  If there is no activity on a bank account for a certain amount of time
                  I think this

Quoth sirwired View Post
                  I wonder what your bank does if the account holder has moved, and just does all their banking online? Or military members?

was referring to people like me, I moved from wisconsin to new jersey, kept the same bank, in order for me to go into a branch I would have to travel 900+miles to do so, without access to my money. Anyone in the service could have it worse, they could be in another state or country with no ability to just waltz in to a local branch. neither situation involves inactivity.
                  Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                    Anyone in the service could have it worse, they could be in another state or country with no ability to just waltz in to a local branch. neither situation involves inactivity.
                    This why military credit unions like the Navy Federal Credit Union are so popular with the military. They have branches world wide.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

There's also making sure someone state-side has access to (whether by just being added to the account or giving them power of attorney) the account.

Comment

My bank

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                        This why military credit unions like the Navy Federal Credit Union are so popular with the military. They have branches world wide.
                        My Canadian bank is "The Bank of Nova Scotia", to my surprise when I first went cruising just about every port in the Caribbean that I visited has a branch!

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                          My Canadian bank is "The Bank of Nova Scotia", to my surprise when I first went cruising just about every port in the Caribbean that I visited has a branch!
                          Now known simply as "Scotiabank" - like RBC, CIBC, and TD Canada Trust, they're multinational corporations

Comment

Quoth VComps View Post
                            Now known simply as "Scotiabank" - like RBC, CIBC, and TD Canada Trust, they're multinational corporations
                            I have this strong suspicion that most Americans don't know what the "TD" in "TD Ameritrade" stands for.

Given the nature of this website, I should probably post the story of my wife's dealings with Scotiabank one of these days...
                            "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Quoth BPFH View Post
                              I have this strong suspicion that most Americans don't know what the "TD" in "TD Ameritrade" stands for.
                              We have the TD Bank locally. Are you implying that it doesn't mean To De Bank?
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X