Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"A preference for blue steak" is not an acceptable excuse for cannibalism. I found that out the hard way.

Comment

Quoth Boomslang View Post
      I used to be a vegetarian, and got terribly sick. Turns out my health problems require me to eat red meat occasionally. No lie. But very few believe me.
      Sounds plausible to me. I know that when I get sick or stressed, I crave protein, most commonly in the form of meat or cheese or some combination thereof.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
        But then again, if they didn't eat plants or animals...they wouldn't be able to eat anything, because even stuff like tofu and rice cakes are made from plants. And rocks and dirt aren't edible.

That's just it...about 95% of all things that are edible were technically alive at some point (or the product of living creatures, so the "Meat Is Murder!!!" crowd always strikes me as hypocritical. Just because it didn't have a cute face at some point doesn't mean you aren't consuming a living creature.

Comment

Quoth Miss Maple Leaf View Post
          "I'm a Level 5 vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow."

Sorry, you just reminded me of that Simpsons quote and I had to share.
          "Chicken isn't vegan...?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLpCZ8g5uK8

Comment

Quoth Boomslang View Post
            I used to be a vegetarian, and got terribly sick. Turns out my health problems require me to eat red meat occasionally. No lie. But very few believe me.
            I do. I'm a vegetarian who recognizes that omnivore is the optimal diet. I might go back because meat protein is more readily available and my life would be so much easier. I can't rely on starches the way so many veg*ns do, due to health concerns.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

This thread reminds me of a comment I saw in another forum... "Unfortunately, even if you are vegetarian, millions of things must die to feed you. However, by living you keep millions of other things alive. Congratulations!"

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                I do. I'm a vegetarian who recognizes that omnivore is the optimal diet. I might go back because meat protein is more readily available and my life would be so much easier. I can't rely on starches the way so many veg*ns do, due to health concerns.
                What about other forms of protein? Don't certain nuts (like almonds or peanuts) have protein? What about beans?
                Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

"I haven't tried that one yet, but it's very popular" would be my suggestion for a response.

As with 'No is a complete sentence' advice: giving reasons just gives people an opportunity to make a fuss about your reason.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                    "Gelato"

"That's vegan??"

"It's milk and eggs, bitch!"

Cracked me up...
                    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                      What about other forms of protein? Don't certain nuts (like almonds or peanuts) have protein? What about beans?
                      I limit beans because they are starchy. I generally don't eat pasta, rice, or potatoes. I eat do eat nuts. They are mostly fat. That's ok; I am on a moderate protein, low carbohydrate, high fat plan.

Comment

I have a friend who is allergic to red meat. Try explaining that to people and it's the deer in the head lights. Then they assume she's vegan/vegetarian or don't believe her at all. She's fine with fish, and I think, chicken, and turkey. Now, she only explains it to people who know how to use Google!
                        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I have a friend also who is allergic to beef.

Comment

Personally, as a customer I would feel far less aggravated with your response, because it provides a sensible reason why you haven't tried the food. I find it frustratingly common that food service workers are unable to answer questions about the product they sell, let alone make a recommendation. From knowing what is on the new fast food sandwich to if the server has a good opinion of the whatever dish, or even "is your ciabatta the really firm kind, or the soft kind?" the answer is almost invariably "I don't know, I haven't tried it."

This is poor training, and it's all management's fault. It's their responsibility to ensure that every server is educated on the food, and that means making it available for tasting (with no cost to the employee, mind you.) Answering questions, talking up the product, and helping to guide customers in their decisions are all parts of good service, and they are a server's job. It's management's job to give them the tools to do it.

At the bakery I worked at briefly, I was the new person who hadn't had a chance to try most of the (over 200!) items that they sold. I wasn't going to, either, because I would have had to buy those cakes and such myself. But I did try everything that I had the opportunity to taste, whether I liked it or not. As much as I worked to memorize the components of each item, not having tried the items handicapped my ability to serve the customers. OTOH, at the Hoofed Mammal Coffee shop I worked at for 6.5 years, the Make It Taste It was an official procedure for EVERY employee to make AND taste EVERY new drink or new bakery item.

but if you're a vegetarian, well of COURSE you haven't tried the meatwich. Perfectly sensible.
                            My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

Tell them you haven't had it but it's a popular choice. I did that when I was vegan.
                              "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth CoffeeMonkey View Post
                                I wasn't going to, either, because I would have had to buy those cakes and such myself.
                                And, right there, is the answer. Because management and/or corporate would rather the employees pay for something that they may or may not like/able to eat/whatever, over damaging out one item every so often.
                                Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Working...
                                X