This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiffed at Last

Yup. After 20 months in business for myself, I was finally stiffed by a customer. Maybe stiffed isn't the right word, but that's certainly how it feels.

A bride purchased a 2 year old, discontinued sample gown. This means that the dress she purchased had been tried on by dozens, possibly hundreds, of women. The lace appliques were falling off, the hem is dirty, the zipper is wonky, its in bad shape. While I know what she spent on it, the cost of the dress doesn't matter. I want to make my brides happy with how their gown fits.

When I met with this bride, I was at the store for other appointments and just happened to have time to fit her in. She was content with the dress except for a deep fabric sag in the center front under the lace layer and that the bust area was too large. So I pinned the sides in, explained what I could try to fix the sag in the front, and that if that first fix didn't work, there were other things we could try until we fixed it. She also wanted cups sewn in. All told her estimated total was $90 ($60 for the side seams and $30 for the cups). Side seams and cups. I was going to repair the lace as a courtesy although I didn't tell her about the courtesy part.

Her second fitting arrives and she starts freaking out. The sag isn't fixed to her liking and she's convinced that it's because I took in the side seams. So she asked that the cups be removed and the side seams be let back out. Then she freaks out over the (mistaken) idea that the side seams won't look the same once I let them back out. I explain to her that I hadn't cut anything away and it could be let back out and it wouldn't show. She also spends about 20 minutes trying to assign blame for the sag in the dress on the store, showing me picture after picture of the dress before the supposed sag "appeared" and I spent that time pointing out that I see the sag, and just because she took pictures in low lighting at home doesn't negate the presence of sag.

The day of her third fitting arrives and I have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. I work extra hard at the gym to try and shake the feeling loose. No dice. She arrives at the store with her Mom. I had fixed the sag with an added piece of rigilene to the lining, let the sides back out to the original size and even steamed the dress. It looked damn good. Her mother starts out by inspecting every seam and pointing out shadows on the fabric, claiming the seams were crooked. Except the places she was inspecting were seams I hadn't even touched. I let her point out all her spots and then said with a smile that the only places I had worked on the gown were the top side seams and the center front, none of which were included in her assessment. Bad feeling doubles.

At this point I just know something is going to go wrong as they are looking for reasons to be unhappy. I asked the bride what she would like me to do. She wants to take the dress home. So I start in on my bits of advise for storing the gown until her wedding, when to bring it back to the store for steaming, etc. The Mom is putting the dress back into the bag. I step away to grab my clipboard so I can ring up their total of $60 (I took off the $30 for the cups as half of that is the cost of the cups, which she doesn't have anymore).

While I'm out of the room, they start to head for the door. I call them back and remind them they owe me $60 for the work I did on the gown. Aghast that I would think to charge them, the bride claims that it should be free as the work had been undone and the sag was still present in the dress. I counter that she had asked me to undo it, the sag was fixed and she had even agreed to that effect earlier, I had done plenty of repair work to the lace, and my time wasn't free. Her Mom inserts that since the gown was essentially in its original state that no work had been done.

Gritting my teeth, clenching my fists, and keeping a comment in my head that is definitely in poor taste*, I look them both in the face and tell them that I did work on the gown, as requested by the bride. I repaired the dress they had purchased "as-is" and deserve to be paid for that work. I could see Mom digging her heels in for a fight, so I took a breath, pasted a big fake smile on my face and said "Fine. Take the dress. I'll note your account that you owe me $60 for work on the gown and refused to pay. Have a nice day."

I'm pissed at myself for letting this happen, but I wasn't about to get into a fight with a Mother of the Bride in the middle of a crowded store. Instead the store is going to note the tux rental agreement that the account is $60 due because of the bride at which point the groom and groomsmen will hear about it when they come to pick up their tuxes. They won't be charged, I asked the store not to, but I wanted it on record that she refused to pay.

*The comment in my head: The bride is a NICU Nurse and my brain came up with "You still get paid for your time even when one of your babies dies." Smartly I kept it to myself.

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
    "Fine. Take the dress. I'll note your account that you owe me $60 for work on the gown and refused to pay. Have a nice day."

I'm pissed at myself for letting this happen, but I wasn't about to get into a fight with a Mother of the Bride in the middle of a crowded store. Instead the store is going to note the tux rental agreement that the account is $60 due because of the bride at which point the groom and groomsmen will hear about it when they come to pick up their tuxes. They won't be charged, I asked the store not to, but I wanted it on record that she refused to pay.
    I know it's $60, but could you turn them over to collections? Of course, it would never end up paid, but it might help you not be as pissed.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Oh, oh! How about buy a dress which isn't two years old! This is what "the customer is always right" has done to the population in general. They assume that if they don't like something, they don't have to pay no matter what idiotic expectations they had. Since the end product (which is what they TOLD you to do) wasn't what they wanted, your work never happened. Was "undone." You're much more calm, I would have had that fight in the bridal shop with the MOB.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I don't remember how much it was to alter my wedding dress but $90 sounds SUPER reasonable to me. And only $60 at the end! They never intended to pay. Hopefully the groom will hear about it and learn something about the person he plans to marry (unless he's an asshole too).
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Do what I threatened to do one time.. call the hospital and talk to her boss about the poor representation of the hospital and the employees they hire.

Comment

I'm in Nashville, there are far too many hospitals* to call them all. Heh. I don't need to stain her professional life. I'm going to mention it to the owner of the bridal half of the store and ask if it's OK that I not pay for that appointment. My contract with the bridal store has me paying a small fee to the store per customer. Before anyone gets up in arms about my contract, I do enough repair work and store-covered alterations to basically trade evenly.

Anyway...

*Interestingly, while Nashville is known as Music City, the music industry is only the 3rd largest industry. 2nd is the Medical industry and the 1st is Religious Printing.

Comment

Actually, I would call the bridal store and any other vendor you know that she's using to tell them what happened under the guise of warning them about the possibility of her stiffing them as well. I'm not sure how well connected the bridal industry is in Nashville, but I know some industries are pretty tight knit.

I used to do private tutoring in Miami, and word would get around even a city that big if there was a student or parent who was notoriously difficult or tried to cheat others.
              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
                I could see Mom digging her heels in for a fight, so I took a breath, pasted a big fake smile on my face and said "Fine. Take the dress. I'll note your account that you owe me $60 for work on the gown and refused to pay. Have a nice day."

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                They never intended to pay. Hopefully the groom will hear about it and learn something about the person he plans to marry (unless he's an asshole too).
                Forfeiting the deposit on the tuxes is a small price to pay compared to what the groom could otherwise wind up stuck with.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                  I'm not sure how well connected the bridal industry is in Nashville, but I know some industries are pretty tight knit.
                  When I worked for the roofing company in the small town, this was so true. In fact, we knew and liked most of our technical "competitors" and would laugh when potential customers would try to use them as leverage. One time a particularly crazy guy building a house essentially got blacklisted pretty from all the contractors in the area.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Whenever I do alterations on anything I take pictures of whatever it is before I start work, usually with the customer holding or wearing the item. That way if they balk I can show them the before pictures and point out everything I did. I learned that lesson the hard way after getting screwed over after some alteration work I did for an older lady - I did it at a steep discount because she was a friend's mother. After that? Pictures, and no discounts.

The only person I don't charge at all for my skills is my son, but that is largely because he doesn't complain about my work and keeps my coffee supply going when I'm sewing for him late into the night. And he pays for my fabric store membership each year

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
                      ... And he pays for my fabric store membership each year
                      In my day we called that kind of person a "Pusher."
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I am sorry you had to deal with Medusa and Baba Yaga there, and got stiffed in the process. What horrible people! Perhaps you should do one more alteration for them, and replace the dress lining with burlap.

This is why I never sew for anyone outside of my immediate family, nor will I ever go into business doing so. I've read enough horror stories on here to know that I do not ever want to deal with Bridezillas, kibitzers, misers and/or thieves, among other SCs. I'd probably end up in jail for assault and battery.
                        Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                        This is what "the customer is always right" has done to the population in general. They assume that if they don't like something, they don't have to pay no matter what idiotic expectations they had.
                        Pretty much, yes. And they can't comprehend why we don't agree with that idea.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          In my day we called that kind of person a "Pusher."
                          That's too true! He reaps the benefits of that membership more than I do LOL

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                            Actually, I would call the bridal store and any other vendor you know that she's using to tell them what happened under the guise of warning them about the possibility of her stiffing them as well.
                            This. I guarantee she's going to try to stiff others the same way. Anything where artistic merit might leave an opening for her to say things are the way she wants them.

Cake: "That's not the flavor frosting we ordered."

Flowers: "I know I said we wanted less baby's breath in the bouquets."

Hair: "You call that a bridal updo! Outrageous! I'm not paying for that atrocity! Come on, daughter, we need to get to the church."
                            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

*The comment in my head: The bride is a NICU Nurse and my brain came up with "You still get paid for your time even when one of your babies dies." Smartly I kept it to myself.
                              You are a far better person than I. I would have said it :/

Comment

Working...
                              X