Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fall is Coming (Insert an Image of Sean Bean, then insert a Sword into Sean Bean)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall is Coming (Insert an Image of Sean Bean, then insert a Sword into Sean Bean)

So, that was a rough two weeks. Had a little typed up two weeks ago, but, ran out of time to post.

In addition to work, had a more personal family problem.

I may post something elsewhere, if I can figure out where, but, essentially, the Beagle I’ve had for most of my life (The portion I can remember anyways, 13 years), the one that “I still has” as my title says, did not have a very good week last week. Friday ended with with her, well, ending.

So yeah.

That was a thing that happened.

I didn’t come into work that day as a result, I missed security being called on a student I don’t especially like helping, will post more later, likely next post, when I have more/better information.

Otherwise, unless I get time next week, this will likely be my last large post until mid to late september, as work is my best chance to access a computer, and we are busy as HELL. XD

Been typing up this post every time I had s spare moment since Wednesday, and a little bit last week.

----

It’s someone else’s job to pick up after me:

This is a rant that a student aimed at me (Well, actually, anyone nearby, which I was):

“How they gonna give me a grade to a class I never been too? Ain’t never stepped foot into it, I was sick, and couldn’t come in. The professor shoulda dropped me, supposed to drop me if I miss the first 3 days, ain’t supposed to keep me in, and give me no grade. How they gonna give me a grade when I ain’t ever even seen the teacher? And now I can’t take classes cause a professor ain’t do their job. Give me a hold on my account, tellin me my progress ain’t good enough.”

Everything after that was a repeat of one or more of the previous sentences.

So, in summary. Student signed up for a class, student failed to make it to class due to “Being sick”, Student never dropped the class (Despite the fact it takes seconds online to do so), and neither did the professor. Student additionally failed to do anything at all about anything, until she stopped procrastinating on signing up for more classes.

Oddly, it’s not part of school policy to drop people that never show up. It’s something professors usually do (the reasons I’ve heard are along the lines of: getting people off their roll, making space in their class for others, out of kindness, etc.), but since they don’t have too, some don’t. The thing is, it’s the STUDENT’S job to enroll or drop their classes, not the school, not the staff, not the professors.

As for the hold on her account for “Academic Progress”, that’s something that happens over time, requiring more than 1 bad grade, and more than one semester of them (You have one semester after you technically achieve its qualifications before it takes effect, during which you’re effectively on “Warning” status). If you were a first time student, you could bomb your first semester, and simply be given a warning, no hold would be given till the end of semester 2.

Additionally, I overheard (Distance and acoustics weren’t the best, I was hearing at most 50% of the conversation) this student talking to a A+R worker/staff member (Couldn’t get a good LoS on who exactly they were talking too), and they additionally mentioned the following:

Wasn’t sure which semester the class had been (“Pretty sure it’s summer”), well, then how did you know you were sick? It’s possible she just didn’t know the semster name (I really hope that was it), but with everything else… :/

Wanted her money back. Yes, as near as I could tell, she wanted a refund for the class that “she had never set foot in”, and hadn't paid attention to till now

So, lesson to students, when you can do something yourself, do so. Don’t depend upon someone else doing something for you at some point when you yourself can do it now.

Lines are bad, mmkay:

(Student came up to me, before everything is open really, but, I clock in “early” (5-15 minutes before the opening and when my shift actually is supposed to start (approved by boss) just to make sure that I can get stuff moving along before they open (Such as computers, questions, make sure everyone knows which line they need to be in, etc.))
    Student: Hey, I need to buy a parking permit, and get an enrollment verification, is it really two different lines?
    Me: Yes, they’re two different departments, that just happen to be in the same building.
    Student: So they won’t help me? They’re gonna force me to stand in line twice?
    Me: Sir, it’s not that they won’t, it’s that they can’t. They can help you with their own department, but they have no power or control over any other department, and so cannot help you with the other department.
    Student: (Shakes head in disapproval) I can’t believe that they won’t help me, that’s just wrong.

Huh, wow. I remember these guys from retail.

Kinda people who walk into a mall, go to the food court, walk up to Panda Express, order fried rice and a taco bell taco, and can’t understand why they can’t get their Taco, I mean, Taco bell is right there after all! Why do they need to wait in line again?!

Also, that’s not a Line, come in on the first day of classes, THAT’S a line.

When you have been here on the first day of fall classes, and stood in line 5-6 hours for one single thing, then, you have my permission to complain about lines.

LONG LIVE THE PASSWORD!:

Student: It won’t accept my new password.
    Me: Okay, what’s it saying.
    Student: It won’t accept my new password.
    Me: (Reads the error message) It says that you violated their password policy, and that you either used your name, or didn’t use a uppercase letter, a lowercase letter, or a number. So, you’ll need to change what you have.
    Student: (Types in something, submits, gets an error) It still won’t accept my new password.
    Me: Did you use a new password?
    Student: Yes, it won’t accept it.
    Me: I mean, did you just type in a brand new one that was different from the last one you tried, or typed in the same one you already tried?
    Student: It’s the same one, it won’t accept it.
    Me: Yes, because it violates their security policies, you need to change it.
    Student: (Types in something, submits, error message again) See, it still won’t accept it.
    Me: Sir, it’s saying that you can’t use that one, you have to use a upper and lower case letter, a number, and that you cannot use your name.
    Student: I have all that, a uppercase, lowercase and a number.
    Me: Did you use your name?
    Student: No, it won’t accept my new password.
    Me: Can I see it?
    Student: (Presses button to show me)
    Me: Isn’t that your first name?
    Student: Yes.
    Me: Well, you can’t use your name.
    Student: Oh, okay. (Changes it, rest of time here is normal)

I want a super hero whose only powers are: common sense, thinking things through, actually paying attention, and realises what's going on around him.

But, that power set might make them a bit overpowered.

Things heard in the A&R lobby:

“...we lost it, we’re STATE’S NAME in the USA, and we’re supposed to be different, supposed to be keeping it real, and we’ve lost it…. (too quiet)... where’s that district, the district that stands for this, that hasn’t lost it (Shakes head), it doesn’t exist… (Keeps talking, quietly).”

I have no idea what you're on about, but, keep that dream alive random person, keep it alive.

(Autocorrect changed you're to your. GG autocorrect.)

Password Holy Grail:

(Not sucky, or ducky for that matter, autocorrect, stahp)

Student: I need to change my password.
    Me: Okay, here we go, fill this out here.
    Student: (Starts filling out the electronic form, including the section where she needs to type in the current one. And it’s like a paragraph long. She’s just typing, and typing and typing…)
    Me: Uh, wow, that’s a long password. I bet that’s pretty secure.
    Student: (Looks confused) Well, I tried to make it as short as possible.
    Me: Um, it only needs to be 10 characters long.
    Student: Yes, and this is 10 characters, shortest ones I could think of.
    Me: Um, a character is a single letter or number an-.. (Brain stalls, and I suddenly get it)
    Student: (Continuing on) No, a character is a person from a story, though they don’t have to be human.
    Me: Ma’am, a character also refers to the symbols used in writing to represent things such as “A” or “7”.
    Student: ...Oh.
    Me: Um, so, yeah, want a shorter password?
    Student: YES.

Later, when I asked her what she had used for her “At least one number” on her old password, she had used Johnny5.

Googleversity:

Student: I finished enrolling.
    Me: Okay, so, next step is… um, this is gmail.
    Student: No, see, this is the application.
    Me: No, really, this is gmail, see? (Points)
    Student: I just filled out what you sent me to.
    (Annnnd that tells me what the student did, you need an e-mail to fill out the application online, so they link to Yahoo and Gmail so you can make one if you don't already have one. He ignored the continue button, clicked an email link, and, yeah, you can see how it went from here.)
    Me: This is gmail, THIS is the application. (Brings it up)
    Student: Oh, great, so I need to apply again.
    Me: No, you need to fill out an account here, and then fill out an application. You haven’t applied yet.
    Student: (Grumbles about applying twice)

NEW! FROM GOOGLE! Googleversity, requires Google+ to access your grades, and ask professors questions. Programs will be changed without warning, and the University will insist that it’s better, despite any new bugs they create in the process, how convoluted the new ways to do things are, and any functionality lost in the name of progress.

Additionally, classes deemed too adult may be filtered from your class list, and you will not be warned about this filtering. You will need to discuss this filtering with your local government, otherwise it’s irreversible, and the only way to see your former more mature classes on your class list is to transfer to our competitor College, Bing State.

Is there a hidden camera somewhere?:

Student: How do I search for classes without using [SYSTEM]?
    Me: Click the link to the Class Schedule on the computer's desktop.
    Student: (Clicks link to [SYSTEM] instead) Aww… I have to use [SYSTEM] to look up classes?
    Me: … No, if you close that, and click the link that says Class Schedule instead, you’ll be able to use the catalog itself.
    Student: (Closes browser, click [SYSTEM] again) It’s [SYSTEM], there isn’t a class schedule.
    Me: No, close the browser. And click a different link, the one labeled Class Schedule.
    Student: (Closes the browser, waffles around the links, even mouses over the correct link… then darts to the bottom of teh screen, and logs the computers windows profile out)
    Me: Um, why did you do that?
    Student: So I could log into my profile.
    Me: You can’t, these are public profiles only.
    Student: Oh, well, how else can I look at my class schedule?
    Me: You said you needed to search for classes.
    Student: No, I need to look at my class schedule.
    Me: (Shows him to a different computer, shows him his schedule, prints off a copy)
    Student: Okay, so, how do I search for classes without using [SYSTEM]?
    Me: You can use the class schedule, by clicking this link here (Points at correct link), and NOT this link here (Points at wrong link).

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury.

I’d like to present exhibit A, wherein he then clicked neither link, and instead he clicked the Financial Aid link, the only other link on that computer aside from the two I pointed too..

I swear to god, the non-native english speakers we get here pick up on things faster.

I also sometimes wonder if I’m being trolled.

Can’t tell if…:

Student: Excuse me.
    Me: Yes?
    Student: How can they have my username when I’m right here?
    Me: I, uh, what?
    Student: (Irritated), How can they have my username, if I’M right here. (Points at screen)
    Me: Oh, well, that means someone else has that username, it’s unavailable.
    Student: But, I’m right here.
    Me: Well, one of the hundreds of thousands of accounts they already have must have already used it.
    Student: Oh, okay.
    Me: (Watches her try to use it again)
    Student: How’d they take this one too?
    Me: You didn’t actually change it, just highlighted it, try adding a number to the back.
    Student: (Does so, and it works)

Later.

Student: Is this the semester about to start? (Points at a semester on the electronic form labeled with the word “Fall”, with dates alongside it, starting in august, ending in december, and additionally, labeled as the “Upcoming” semester)
    Me: Yes, yes it is.

----

There’s more, but, I’m out of time, so, here it is. Maybe more next week, otherwise, not gonna be doing posts for a while, replies maybe. Typing big long things on a Kindle Fire is not fun. XD

Spelling, grammar, and worse likely abound, will edit and fix as I spot it, but posting now, just so it's up.
    Last edited by Tee; 08-15-2015, 07:20 PM. Reason: Spelling, etc.
    I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
    In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Student: Yes, and this is 10 characters, shortest ones I could think of.
    Me: Um, a character is a single letter or number an-.. (Brain does a barrel roll, and I suddenly get it)
    And here I thought this was a tech support urban legend....
    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

For some reason, I read the title as "Fail Is Coming." Then I read Tee's post and found my title mistaken. Fail has already come.
      This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

I think we fail as reasonable people, when we assume our children should be going to college. Some just can't cope.

But I would recommend Community college for everyone if it had a Customer class.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
          And here I thought this was a tech support urban legend....
          Same here, I'd read about it online, and I was... flabbergasted I guess, to see it in person.

I mean, this was a jokes punchline, seeing it in person is just, well, how often do you get to see a punchline personally?
          In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

Regarding the title, why Sean Bean instead of another actor? Also, what happens if the sword isn't Sharpe enough?
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Oh, because of the whole "Winter is coming" meme, and the fact that Sean Bean's characters apparently aren't allowed to live through anything ever.

Considering his characters though, his best bet to live is to make sure that it IS Sharpe enough.

Comment

Quoth Tee View Post
                Sean Bean's characters apparently aren't allowed to live through anything ever.
                Oh I don't know - he managed to survive as Mellors in Lady Chatterley's Lover (TV series in 1993)

Although if his character had died, it would probably have been from either exposure or exhaustion.
                Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

We've secretly replaced this freshman class' brains with cottage cheese, lets see if anyone notices.........
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Arga, you just made my husband's face get very red as he almost choked to death laughing! (Me, too.)

He says, from experience, that there isn't quite as much disconnect when going into the military right out of high school (instead of college), because of those things they call Sergeants... and if the recruits put so much as one toe out of line, they heard about it directly and thoroughly.

Sergeants are very good at dealing with 100 empty clue bags that are just getting off a bus.
                    I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
                    - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Agree on the military part, had it straighten a few friends and acquaintances out into decent people.

Spent some time in a job run on a civilian version of a military model, and the discipline certainly helped me.

I dunno though, wouldn't filling it with cottage cheese be an upgrade from "empty" XD.

Comment

I remember, when during my 3rd year of schooling, my Community College started enforcing a policy that if you didn't show up for the first class you were automatically dropped from that class.

I'm thinking the situation from the first part of the OP's post is why.

To the OP: I know what you're going through, I spent the last 2 1/2 years of my degree program working as a student tutor. I'll have to go through and see what I can pull out of my notes/memory for some stories...

Comment

Quoth Tee View Post
                          Oh, because of the whole "Winter is coming" meme, and the fact that Sean Bean's characters apparently aren't allowed to live through anything ever.

Considering his characters though, his best bet to live is to make sure that it IS Sharpe enough.
                          His character in National Treasure survived (but wound up in jail). Another one of his characters - a British rifle officer during the Napoleonic wars - survived numerous movie adaptations from a series of books. Not surprising, since his was the lead character - Richard Sharpe.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                            His character in National Treasure survived (but wound up in jail). Another one of his characters - a British rifle officer during the Napoleonic wars - survived numerous movie adaptations from a series of books. Not surprising, since his was the lead character - Richard Sharpe.
                            Hence the sword puns later on (not the title), and the comments on how Sharpe it is. :P

Whether he deserves it or not, he's got a reputation, and a Meme about it.

There's an interview about it, apparently Boromir was his favorite death (Mine too).

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                              We've secretly replaced this freshman class' brains with cottage cheese, lets see if anyone notices.........
                              They'll notice... After a week or two at body temperature the cottage cheese will evolve intelligence...

Haven't you ever opened a fridge that lost power?
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X