This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGE RESTRICTIONS

Bear in mind, this was a long time ago, 1980 to 1982. Back then, you could legally buy and drink beer at age 18, though you were limited to the 3.2 percent goat piss. And the restaurant I worked for had a ‘delivery’ endorsement on its beer license, meaning we could deliver beer with your food – within certain restrictions, of course. This pizzeria served a college and surrounding area, and that ‘delivery’ endorsement was fairly rare. We were the only restaurant in the area to have one.

This post will deal solely with some of the minimum-age arguments I’ve had to deal with. I’ll detail other problems in subsequent posts.

To quote The Great One…”Aaaaand away we go!”

You think you’re pretty clever, don’t you? Ordering pizza and beer, and then when it arrives, your skinny, smug 12-year-old self stands in the doorway proclaiming your dad is taking a nap, reasoning that it’s easier to snooker the pizza delivery driver than it is run a game on the guy at the 7-11 down the street. And perhaps your claim that ‘the other drivers didn’t have a problem with it’ might be true, but it looks like you drew the short straw today, junior. Either someone comes to the door whom I can reasonably assume to be of legal age, or the beer leaves with me.

It was not just one kid, either. There were several of them on that same block. I think it was safe to assume they knew each other. I’ve little doubt that some driver fell for this act, or just didn’t give a shit, and the word got around.

One tried a slightly different approach, claiming his dad was some high-ranking cop. Hate to say it, Opie, but you just shot yourself in the foot… with a Howitzer. Even if I was inclined to hand beer to a minor (and I’m not), a cop’s underage brat is the very last person in the universe I’d try that shit with, assuming your claim is even true (and I’m pretty sure it isn’t).

On one occasion, a ‘tweener had used some similar ‘Dad’s in the shower’ kind of excuse, but since he couldn’t produce ID, I’d left with the beer. Damned if dear ol’ Dad didn’t call the restaurant to raise hell about it. The call had a distinct ‘Are you calling my son a liar?!’ kind of tone to it. Look Papa-san, it’s real simple. He appeared underage. He had no ID. We legally could not deliver beer to him. You aren’t even legally allowed to give him permission to accept the delivery. At no point did I call him a liar. I told him that without ID, I couldn’t sell it to him. You can carry on like an angry baboon all you like, it isn’t going to change anything.

Oh, and ‘notes’ from dad/mom won’t work, either.

It wasn’t just private residences where the problems occurred. Dorms, sororities, and fraternities were also frequently a source of heartburn. I actually do get it – yes, I know that being in such a dwelling means you’re probably in college, and yes, being in college probably means you’re 18 and therefore legal to buy and drink.

But, instead of going the long way around the barn, how about you just get out your ID and show it to me? It’s faster, it’s easier, and it allows me to follow the rules that govern my job. In fact, your steadfast refusal to do so only serves to augment my suspicion that something here doesn’t add up, and the more suspicious I become, the more insistent I’m going to be that you provide the requested ID.

Don’t get mad at me for carding you. You’d have to have been living under a very large, very heavy rock, very far from civilization, and for a very long time to not know you need ID to buy beer. So who’s at fault here? Me, for doing my job, or you, for assuming I wouldn’t ask you for it, even though you knew I probably would?

Oh, and mocking me when I ask for ID? Yeah, that’s definitely a step in the wrong direction. You obviously don’t realize it, but I am the one with the power here, not you. There is no rule or law anywhere that compels me to sell beer. I can turn around and leave with the beer and your food, and I don’t even need a f***ing excuse to do so. And, if you give me any more grief, that’s not only what will happen, but I’ll blacklist the whole f***ing fraternity when I get back to the restaurant for the rest of the f***ing semester. Since mine is the only restaurant in the immediate area that delivers beer, I’m sure that will make you really popular with all your frat brothers.
    Last edited by CyberLurch; 09-13-2015, 12:22 PM. Reason: removed inappropriate term for children

That could get the asshole tarred and feathered. His picture put up on the wall to be a darts-aiming contest. Whoever buys beer will have contests revolving around "Fuckface McGee, who is the asshole that made us unable to buy beer!" and offer extra points for darts that get between the picture's eyes.

Hell, he could practically get LYNCHED!
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Reminds me of an incident that took place back when we lived in northern Arizona......it was a small town, and my family owned one of the two grocery stores, so we knew pretty much all of the customers.

Anyhow, my Aunt Bonnie told me once that a very underage boy tried to get her to sell him chewing tobacco, claiming it was for his uncle, who was "waiting outside in the car". It goes without saying that there wasn't anyone outside at the time, and this boy didn't get the tobacco.

Comment

I had an incident not too long ago too. A group of 4 (clearly under the age of 40, which is the threshold in my state where you do not get carded) came up to the register with 3 bottles of wine.

I asked for ID. OMG you would've thought the world had caved in!!!! One guy says "I'm the one buying it!" Another guy says "I'm driving, so I'm not drinking". One of the girls says "My ID is in the car". And the last girl says "I don't drink!".

Ummm NO. There are 4 of you and 3 of you carried the bottles up to the register. Don't even think I don't know how this works! (Believe it or not, I was young once too) You ALL have to have ID, *especially* since at least 3 of you were actually touching the booze.

Too bad, so sad. NO ONE gets their wine :-D

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
          I asked for ID. OMG you would've thought the world had caved in!!!! One guy says "I'm the one buying it!" Another guy says "I'm driving, so I'm not drinking". One of the girls says "My ID is in the car". And the last girl says "I don't drink!".

Too bad, so sad. NO ONE gets their wine :-D
          Yeah, that shit wouldn't have passed muster even back then. While the laws at that time were a bit more lax with regard to 'third party' purchases, four people with three bottles and only 'one' buying? Hell no.

And the thing is, those third-party rules are so damned easy to work around, if you just have two active brain cells. You want to buy wine or beer or whatever for your party of underage alcoholic-trainees? Just send in ONE person with the valid ID, and tell everyone else make themselves scarce. Seriously, how flippin' hard is that to figure out? And no, telling your friends to 'wait outside' after you've been denied won't work either. Their departure from the store does not magically make us forget what you're trying to do.

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post

Hell, he could practically get LYNCHED!
            Indeed so. Do not insert obstacles between a frat rat and his beer.

In mid-1982, they changed the laws regarding minimum age. They raised minimum age for beer to 19 (while at the same time made it legal for 19s to drink the regular six percent stuff). In 1988 (ish?) they made it 21. Of course wine and liquor were always 21. In both instances, the howls of outrage and despair from the college campuses were deafening (figuratively speaking, of course), and if you were legal to buy at that time, you could practically fund your education by supplying the parties.

In the 1990s, they attempted to raise the drinking age to 25. It failed miserably because of the large turnout of college students to vote it down.

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
              In the 1990s, they attempted to raise the drinking age to 25. It failed miserably because of the large turnout of college students to vote it down.
              Yes, because nothing enhances one's college education more than being shitfaced as much as humanly possible.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                Yes, because nothing enhances one's college education more than being shitfaced as much as humanly possible.
                Well, I can sort of understand the enthusiasm for it, though I don't share it myself. For many, college is their first real experience away from the rules of home. I get it. But for me, drinking to the degree I've witnessed is just repulsive. I'm happy with a good buzz and the company of friends. But I've never understood the obsession with getting so sloshed that you can barely walk, or drinking for the express purpose of passing out.

And I didn't even go to college.

Comment

I feel about it the same way Mattie Ross in True Grit did. I don't like the idea of putting a thief in my mouth that will steal my brains.

I don't want to wake up and find out I dry-humped the statue of Mr. Rogers out in the town square or some shit like that that might get me on the "weird" news page.
                  My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                    I don't want to wake up and find out I dry-humped the statue of Mr. Rogers out in the town square or some shit like that that might get me on the "weird" news page.

Now if we could make more of these little dweebs see the consequences of such actions from that kind of perspective, we may help reduce the rate of college age drinking.

But of course, you'll have 9 out of 10 who will prefer to learn that lesson the hard way.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

On one occasion, a ‘tweener had used some similar ‘Dad’s in the shower’ kind of excuse, but since he couldn’t produce ID, I’d left with the beer. Damned if dear ol’ Dad didn’t call the restaurant to raise hell about it. The call had a distinct ‘Are you calling my son a liar?!’ kind of tone to it. Look Papa-san, it’s real simple. He appeared underage. He had no ID. We legally could not deliver beer to him. You aren’t even legally allowed to give him permission to accept the delivery. At no point did I call him a liar. I told him that without ID, I couldn’t sell it to him. You can carry on like an angry baboon all you like, it isn’t going to change anything.
                      Reminds me of the time when a group of young kids came into my store. Here in UK land we card if people look under 25 ... and these kids where clearly not even in their teens yet. I flat out told them that I wouldn't be serving alcohol to them. Their response 'we're getting it for our dad' .... well, tell dear ole dad we can't sell booze to minors.

Dear ole dad came in later to have a go at me because he had to 'get up and walk to get alcohol'. ((seriously. His words exactly))

Sorry dad ... but laws are laws. I can not serve your clearly under-age daughters, and no complaints on your end is going to change that.

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                        I feel about it the same way Mattie Ross in True Grit did. I don't like the idea of putting a thief in my mouth that will steal my brains.

Well, now, that's the thing, isn't it? Alcohol causes us to lose our inhibitions. So if you DID dry-hump Mr. Rogers' statue in the town square, it suggests that perhaps you had some long-repressed desire to do so, hmmmm?

Sorry. My mind went straight to the gutter. Which, if memory serves, is where all the alcoholics tend to wind up, isn't it?

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
                          Sorry. My mind went straight to the gutter. Which, if memory serves, is where all the alcoholics tend to wind up, isn't it?
                          I don't know about that, my late uncle apparently went under bridges instead. (Gambling problem and alcoholism - not a good combo)
                          Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                            I don't know about that, my late uncle apparently went under bridges instead. (Gambling problem and alcoholism - not a good combo)
                            (Wince) No, it isn't. And my apologies for the bad joke.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                              Sure seems to the case around here. Thank god the houses in the university district turned out to be too expensive for me.
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X