This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food stamp follies

I have nothing against the food stamp program. It helps people who might otherwise go hungry. Some people waste it on junk food, but you can't hold everyone's hand and force them to eat right. The Store probably wouldn't even be in business if not for food stamps - we're located in a not-particularly-high-income part of town, and at the beginning of the month food stamps account for more than half of our sales.

What I do have a problem with is people who try to cheat the system. Like the subject of this tale.

It's shortly after midnight. I'm in a register backing up the graveyard cashier (because for some reason, an alarming number of people seem to think that midnight on a school night is the perfect time to drag the kids to the store and do your shopping for the week.) Customer comes through with an order of about $150 worth of stuff, pays for it with EBT, the transaction goes through, all is well.

About half an hour later, I'm off the register and am stocking the soda aisle when we get a page for a supervisor to the front. I'm the closest, so I take it. It's the same customer I rang up earlier, she has a bagful of the same stuff she bought earlier, and she's decided she doesn't want it after all. So I run it all through as a return, about $30 worth, and ask her to swipe her food stamp card so I can refund it.

Suddenly, she doesn't have her food stamp card with her. Even though it was in her possession half an hour ago. Can't I just do the refund in cash? Anyone who's worked in grocery knows this is a big no-no - EBT purchases can only be refunded back to the same EBT card they came from, and that's a matter of law, not just store policy. You can't trade food stamps for cash, period. I tell her so and she says she'll go to her car and try and find the card.

I wait.

She comes back and still doesn't have the card. "I just need the cash for gas", she says at this point. Sorry. No can do. My job isn't worth your gas money. She decides to just take the food anyway, and I end up having to cancel out the return and write nearly a paragraph on the cancel receipt explaining it for the satisfaction of the bookkeeper.

Don't know if she had planned all along to try and get cash out of us, or if she merely absent-mindedly realized after driving to the store that she didn't have gas money, but it doesn't really matter.

Bonus: This isn't mine. I think I'll throw it on the floor!

It's not like shopping carts are hard to come by at our store. We have about 500-700 carts in our possession at any given time, and we're constantly ordering more to make up for carts that are damaged, lost, or stolen. The cart room at the entrance is larger than some people's homes and it's almost always got plenty to spare, especially late at night.

So it absolutely boggles the mind that, when I went back to the aisle I was stocking after dealing with the above fiasco, I discovered that all the broken-down cardboard boxes from the freight I'd worked had been tossed on the floor in a big sloppy pile, and the shopping cart I had previously interred them in was nowhere to be seen.

Not the first time that one's happened, either.

Quoth Smapti View Post
    Don't know if she had planned all along to try and get cash out of us, or if she merely absentmindedly realized after driving to the store that she didn't have gas money, but it doesn't really matter.
    Does anyone here NOT believe it was the first one?

The jackass who stole your cart should be run over with it...multiple times...

Comment

Never underestimate the ingenuity of someone trying to use food stamp cards to buy cigarettes and beer. It's amazing how clever they think they're being and how they think no one has ever thought of the scheme they're trying to launch.

Comment

I once got cash back from an EBT card, it was weird. I didn't think they would, and didn't ask for it either. A new grocery store had opened and had super awesome sales, but you had to use their membership card. I had thought the cashier had scanned mine (was brand new, signed up 10 minutes earlier) but later I saw she hadn't. Or it hadn't worked. The receipt said "you could have save $10.xx!" So I went back, and the service desk gave me a $10 bill plus a bit of coin. I immediately traded it for a roll of quarters for laundry, which I don't think was a terrible abuse. But still, I didn't realize it was a law, or anything.

People try all kinds of stuff with returns, now the cashiers at my work just call for an MOD for certain ones.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
          I once got cash back from an EBT card, it was weird. I didn't think they would, and didn't ask for it either.
          My guess is the person who did the refund didn't know any better. The first time I had a food stamp customer (back when they were paper, before they were cards), I gave them their change in cash. For anyone who doesn't know, food stamps came in a book of even-dollar denominations. Any change that was under a dollar could be given in cash, but for the dollar amounts, you had to give it back to them in food stamps.

The customer didn't say anything, and I never got in trouble for it. But then it wasn't my fault either -- no one ever told me. I don't remember how or when I found out the right way to do it.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I once got cash back from an EBT card, it was weird. I didn't think they would, and didn't ask for it either.
            If someone goes up to the desk with a "You could have saved $X.XX" receipt, I think that refund has to be given in cash.

I've gotten a small amount of change back from EBT on SCO a couple times. What looked to have happened was the register was refunding tax (the receipt had line items for "Meal Tax" and "Sales Tax" that had negative amounts)...but if it's taxable food I shouldn't have been able to use EBT to pay in the first place
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
              but if it's taxable food I shouldn't have been able to use EBT to pay in the first place
              Unless something's changed, you can buy soda with food stamps. And soda is taxable, at least in PA. Shortly after I started working register though, they stopped charging sales tax on soda if you were buying it with food stamps.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

So I went back, and the service desk gave me a $10 bill plus a bit of coin.
                I think it may depend on store policy, or how well-trained the customer service employees are. Last I checked, Walmart's policy was to give refunds back in the same form as the original payment or as close as possible (so onto your card if you paid with credit or debit, cash if you used cash or a check, etc.) or as store credit. And yet I've had plenty of times, at plenty of different stores, where the customer service associate would just give me cash even though the original purchase was with a credit card. And yet other times I'd have a different associate process a return and then specifically say the refund would go back on the card. And the amounts were similar in each situation. So who knows?
                "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                  Unless something's changed, you can buy soda with food stamps. And soda is taxable, at least in PA.
                  We have the bottle/can deposit, but besides that soda from grocery stores isn't taxed that I know of (yet).

I think above a certain amount has to be given in the original form of payment as I have seen dollar amounts put back on someone's card, but under a dollar I think can be refunded in cash (or the merchant has to at least give that option).
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                    Does anyone here NOT believe it was the first one?
                    There are so many scams to cash in food stamps, I find it hard to believe it was anything else. Gas money?! Yeah right.
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                      Unless something's changed, you can buy soda with food stamps. And soda is taxable, at least in PA. Shortly after I started working register though, they stopped charging sales tax on soda if you were buying it with food stamps.
                      You can buy soda with food stamps up here, at least. You can't buy most energy drinks, though - if the label on the back says "Supplement Facts" instead of "Nutrition Facts", it can't be bought with food stamps (which has caused many a headache when a customer didn't realize this until after they ran their card and still had a balance to pay.)

Anything that has sales tax on it, the tax is taken off when paying with EBT, since otherwise you've essentially got the state paying taxes to itself.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                        My guess is the person who did the refund didn't know any better. The first time I had a food stamp customer (back when they were paper, before they were cards), I gave them their change in cash. For anyone who doesn't know, food stamps came in a book of even-dollar denominations. Any change that was under a dollar could be given in cash, but for the dollar amounts, you had to give it back to them in food stamps.
                        Oh, decades back it was even worse. You couldn't give *any* sort of cash/coins as change. Instead the stores would give the less than a dollar amounts as their own "scrip" (anything from hand scribbled notes to something specially printed).

This was a *major* pain as if you were out job hunting or something and needed to grab a bite to eat and there wasn't a major chain handy, you'd have to buy from a convenience store. And you'd never be able to redeem that piece of scrip unless you made a trip back out there.

At least with major chains, you could use their scrip at *any* of their stores.

You could lose several dollars a month that way. And that was a significant amount for some folks.

At least with EBT cards, *that* nonsense is gone.

Comment

Some SNAP/foodstamp programs allow you to get cash assistance put onto the same card as your actual foodstamps; maybe they thought you had used the "cash" portion to pay or something? Either way, youse guys didn't do anything wrong -- hell, if anything, it's on the higher-ups for not explaining the darn things properly!
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Where I am you can buy soda, energy drinks, gum, ice and even Easter baskets with EBT.
                            I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I can't get too upset with people who are mad at the food stamp people. In the two years that hubby's been unable to work, they've screwed up our account 4 times, and each time takes a month to fix. Now that I'm employed full time, we don't qualify anymore, but we still can't afford to feed ourselves any kind of nourishing diet. It's like you're punished for trying. If we got housing assistance, we'd actually be better off NOT working.
                              "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Working...
                              X