Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are we supposed to walk around and look for people buying age-restricted stuff?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth April View Post
    I was carded for white-out once. I thought it weird, but showed my ID.

The one that still pisses me off---

I think I've told this one before - when I was in my early 20's I was working for a guy putting up flags and vinyl strings in car lots. We stopped at a liquor store one morning because my boss wanted a bottle of something or another to take home and didn't want to forget to do it later. I grabbed a 12 pack of Hires Root Beer.

The girl behind the counter was on such auto pilot she asked for ID. I didn't get pissed, I was just perplexed.

"Err... really?"
    "Yes, I need to see ID."
    "For ROOT BEER?"

That's when she looked down and actually saw what I was purchasing. We both had a good laugh about it. And I was allowed to purchase my non-alcoholic drinks without showing ID.

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post

I am aware of this. Like I said, my shop sells it. We use it all the time to blast dust out of computers. But some common sense should be used if selling it to someone who is clearly an adult.
      But you know retailers: If it makes sense it's not allowed.

My funny story: one day for whatever reason the system kept prompting us to card for Pepsi...but only diet Pepsi. Most custies, after , and showed ID. One guy got perturbed, though. Come on, just recognize computers go wonky sometimes and get it over with.

I never get upset at getting carded for anything. It's just...not a huge deal. At all.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        I never get upset at getting carded for anything. It's just...not a huge deal. At all.
        It's really not a big deal.

However.

It's that sort of corporate-control stuff that leaks into life that I find kind of invasive. Getting carded for a canned air. Asking for a zip code when buying a toaster. Do you have our customer card? Fill out our questionaire for a chance to win $1000 that you'll never win.

John Pinette had a great bit about that stuff - may he RIP.

"I'm not adopting the toaster. Is this like a foster toaster program? I didn't see any signs!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_KRtj351kE

Comment

Quoth April View Post

Of the things I was buying, there were several candles and some incense and a lighter. They carded me for the lighter and refused to sell it to me. Because I had to be 18 to buy a lighter. They claimed state law, but all these years later and several stints in retail, I've NEVER heard of this law. I think the lady just didn't want to sell a lighter to a minor.

I walked next door to the liquor store and bought a lighter. Was not carded. Have never been carded for a lighter since (even at that store)
          I've been carded the few times I've bought a lighter, but this was at Fry's, and it was a message prompted at the SCO machines. (maybe the law is different in my state)

Comment

Well, if you're in Alabama, you're in for a treat about this ID thing.

Comment

I got asked for my birth date the last time I bought a lighter (can't remember why I needed one since I don't smoke) but didn't get asked for actual ID. I have been carded for White Out in the past, which I thought was ridiculous (how can anyone actually get high off one tiny bottle?), but produced the ID anyway. I've also been carded buying spray paint and decent cold meds--though not together. That would be an interesting purchase, lol.
              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Some lady bought razor blades and candy last week. Now that was a strange purchase. I mentioned that and we laughed about it.

Comment

Quoth Employee28567 View Post
                  Well, if you're in Alabama, you're in for a treat about this ID thing.

Details?
                  "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I seem to recall that when I was cashiering in CT (the last time I was in retail), lighters were on the list of items that asked for birthdate, though I don't recall if we were subject to the same potential fines as for failing to card for cigarettes. Also on the list were canned air, white out, Sudafed, and certain cans of spray paint (but not all of them). Basically, if it was something people could use to get high, the registers asked for birthdate. Management let us just ask for most things and punch it in, if it wasn't a legal issue.
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      Some lady bought razor blades and candy last week. Now that was a strange purchase. I mentioned that and we laughed about it.
                      Given that Halloween has just passed and EVERY DAMN YEAR there are incidences of razor blades in Halloween candy, I think I might have been inclined to refuse the sale and call the police

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                        Also on the list were (snip) certain cans of spray paint (but not all of them).
                        Let me guess - gold, silver, and clear? Those tend to have a higher percentage of solvent than normal spray paint, and are therefore the preferred ones for huffers.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                          Given that Halloween has just passed and EVERY DAMN YEAR there are incidences of razor blades in Halloween candy, I think I might have been inclined to refuse the sale and call the police
                          a) She had a bunch of other stuff, a whole cartful.
                          b) My spidey sense was not tingling--I usually have a feeling when someone's off--and that's why I knew I could joke with her.
                          c) Her reaction to my joke told me I was right not to be suspicious.
                          d) Even in the very unlikely instance we did suspect her of anything, the police would ask what real evidence we had because buying those two items together isn't illegal.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                            Read the snopes article on the subject. There's only been a couple of real cases ever. Certainly not every year.
                            Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                              Read the snopes article on the subject. There's only been a couple of real cases ever. Certainly not every year.
                              Yeah, that's a total urban legend that parents use to "throw out" suspicious candy (aka "put it aside for their secret consumption later ).

Comment

We had needles and screws found in candy in raleigh this year. First time I ever saw a real occurrence.
                                But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                                And it's not what I wanted to be
                                The weight on me
                                Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Working...
                                X