This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's why it's called an "impulse buy"

Shop had a great week last week, numbers-wise. Seemed like we were about to do even better on Saturday when I had a guy buy a laptop.

I was holding off posting this (for reasons that will become clear momentarily) but since he didn't show up at 10am when we opened today, I'll get this part up now.

Guy had come in about a week before. He noticed we had a laptop in the window the same model as his. His had gotten some damage on the plastic around the LCD but the LCD itself was fine.

He comes in Saturday. First he wants to get a price for getting the plastic replaced. Okay - it's about 4pm and we close at 5. I'm back in Tuesday, so I tell him I'll have the price for the part and replacement on Tuesday.

Guy decides he's going to buy our laptop anyway. I tell him I'll still give him a call Tuesday with the cost for fixing his other one.

So, awesome. We get 1 last laptop sale for the week, and I'm in a great mood.

I think you see where this is going.

45 minutes later I get this call:

LG = laptop guy

LG: Yeah, I was there a little while ago, I bought that laptop?
    Moi: Yeah, what's up?
    LG: Well I talked to a tech buddy of mine and he said he'd fix my laptop.
    Moi: Okay, cool.
    LG: What's your return policy?
    Moi: My who to the what now?
    LG: Well if he's going to fix the laptop I don't really need this one I bought.

First off - why didn't you talk to your tech buddy in the last week, before even coming in the shop? Unfortunately I didn't think to ask him that.

Moi: It's two weeks, you need your receipt (we keep it in Quickbooks anyway, but fuck him) and there's a 10% restocking fee. (about $42 in his case)
    LG: But I've only had it for an hour!
    Moi: Yes, and we still have to look it over when you bring it back, plus this was a credit card transaction which means they charge us a percentage for the sale and the refund. (okay - that last part might be bullshit - I honestly don't know - but he's still wasting my time and money)
    LG: But it was an impulse buy!
    Moi: Yes. Which is why you shouldn't make impulse buys. You could have asked me when you were here. Or if you paid with cash or check I could do the return, but you used a credit card. Which, as I said, is now costing me money if I have to do a refund.
    LG: Can I come back now? I'm about ten minutes away.
    Moi: You can try, but we close in 10 minutes and you're talking about parking in [trendy little town with god-awful parking on weekends] so I doubt you'd make it here in time. I'll be back in Tuesday morning.

He hems and haws a little more but finally decides to return Tuesday.

I haven't checked voice mail yet, but it's 10:35 now and he hasn't shown up yet.

All you had to do was:

a. Wait 2 days for my estimate. You showed me your laptop was in working condition so you were able to use it, you just couldn't close the lid. It's not like you had a term paper due and you had no working computer

b. You could have asked your "tech buddy" about it before even wasting a trip down here.

c. My business shouldn't be penalized because you can't control your impulses. If you come in, I have to waste my time and money doing a refund. Time I could be spending doing ANYTHING more productive to help my business.

My biz partner had a vibe that the guy was going to try to pull something, like switching parts, but I can't see how. It's his screen that's damaged. He can't swap screens with ours because it would obviously be his. And I have the serial numbers of both computers, so if his was overheating or acting up and he tried switching screens for that reason, I'd see the unit he was returning had his serial number. And I noticed the letter on one key on his keyboard was almost completely rubbed off. So that's something else I'd spot if he tried returning something of his instead of ours.

I don't think he's trying to pull something... I think he's just dumb.

Gotta check voicemail. Updates if they happen.

I think you overestimate how much thought he may have put into his nefarious scheme... I'm inclined to agree with your business partner, but I think "tech buddy" probably pointed out all the loopholes you've listed which is when the Fool Du Jour realised he might as well hand the new one back.
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I had a former coworker that wanted to try the same thing once - her daughter spilled OJ into a laptop and fried it. So, my coworker went and bought the same model of laptop with the intention of returning the dead laptop in its place and getting a refund. When I managed to talk her out of that because the store would have to make sure the serial number matches on her receipt, she tried to talk me into swapping parts around so that she could still return a non-working unit - I flat out refused because I wanted no part in her fraud attempt. So she has one doorstop that nobody will help her fraudulently swap out and one working laptop.

Comment

If he hadn't set up his laptop to show me it was working, I would think something nefarious was going on. As it is, I maintain my "guy is dumb" theory.

He was just here. At least didn't raise a stink or give me bad attitude - we actually had a laugh about it. Our laptop seems fine. All the original parts are still there.

Technically we still made a few bucks for doing nothing, but it still would have been nice to get that sale.

Comment

Take that logic and apply it to something else... Your car has a minor issue, but still runs and is safe to drive. The shop closes or is too busy to give an estimate that day. You react by buying a new car, then trying to return it.

I know, a computer is cheaper, blah blah. But I consider an impulse buy a bag of chips or soda at the register. Or maybe a side at a fast food place. Not a computer.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
            Take that logic and apply it to something else... Your car has a minor issue, but still runs and is safe to drive. The shop closes or is too busy to give an estimate that day. You react by buying a new car, then trying to return it.
            *raises hand*

I, uh, I saw a guy do that once here..... because we couldn't fix his tire.

But the dude WAS crazy, I'll have to write about him sometime.
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
              *raises hand*

Please do.
              This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

What a maroon. At least he didn't go nuclear on you.

PS - Yes, I believe you are correct about both sets of credit card fees.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

*raises hand*

oooh. that sounds like a fun story. i look forward to that one

Comment

I know from accounting classes that banks do take a cut of card purchases. Don't know about returns/refunds, will ask my professor this evening.
                    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I'll have to write about him sometime.
                      No time like the present.

Comment

Update: did ask my professor (CPA, former IRS employee, etc.). She said that yes, the bank/card processor takes a fee from ANY transaction, whichever direction money is moving.

So yeah, not a great deal for the merchant, having to refund a sale, pay the processing fee again, and so on.
                        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I absolutely LOVE our return policy; we charge a $35 restocking fee on all cellphones/tablets/connected devices from the second it is activated.

Take me up on the offer for a free tablet, but get home and your spouse reminds you about the 6 tablets you already have lying around, gathering dust? $35.

Get out to the car and find out that your daughter wanted the white one, dad, duh! ? $35

Have me activate the iPhone 6, then turn around before you get to the door and decide you want the shiny new iPhone 6s instead? $35.

Even better is the "not-a-single-scratch-or-ding-on-it" policy, which has caused at least one unhappy camper to hurl his brand new iPhone 6s+ at my head (narrowly missing me and bursting into an impressive shower of glass and sparks against the wall behind me).
                          "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
                          -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post

Even better is the "not-a-single-scratch-or-ding-on-it" policy, which has caused at least one unhappy camper to hurl his brand new iPhone 6s+ at my head (narrowly missing me and bursting into an impressive shower of glass and sparks against the wall behind me).

I hope you called the cops on them for attempted assault with a deadly weapon.

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
                              I hope you called the cops on them for attempted assault with a deadly weapon.
                              Why, it wasn't a Nokia. :P
                              I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
                              In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

Working...
                              X