This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on dealing with the Christmas control-freaks

So I'm not against Christmas; I do celebrate it. But it's not going to be ruined for me when people "take the Christ out of Christmas" because I believe in Him but see Christmas as a cultural/secular holiday. Therefore, I don't care about coffee cups or holiday greetings.

That said, I know there will be lots of people wishing Merry Christmas and that's fine. It's the ones who get in your face and say it emphatically to make some kind of point and get mad when you don't say it back. I'm not going to start suddenly using a phrase that I don't use 49 weeks out of the year. It simply doesn't roll off my tongue and my company doesn't tell us what phrases to use. We have no rules about that. I usually just respond, "Thank you." That appeases most, but not the Christmas Control Freaks. They look irritated when I thank them.

How do I head complaints off at the pass? Or am I just going to have to accept I can't control them and hope for the best? What do you all do?
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I would just reply with a smile: "You, too!" If they still have a problem with that then that is their problem, not yours.

Comment

When I was a kid I used to say 'I don't celebrate Christmas, I'm Jewish.'
      As an adult I realize that hardly anyone really cares...they say Merry Christmas and I just say 'thanks, you too. '.
      Just try and let it roll off your back. Most people say it the same way they ask 'how are you?'. They really don't care, and they really don't hear your answer.
      The ones who get in your face? I honestly don't know, as that is so unChristian that it really does not make sense.
      I no longer fear HELL.
      I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Quoth Enjis View Post
        When I was a kid I used to say 'I don't celebrate Christmas, I'm Jewish.'.
        If you feel like the only kid in town, without a Christmas tree...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eB4PkCo4Lo
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth wildman View Post
          I would just reply with a smile: "You, too!" If they still have a problem with that then that is their problem, not yours.
          This is probably the best course of action.
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I repeat back whatever my customer says...

"Merry Christmas"
            "Merry Christmas to you, too!"

"Happy Hanukka!"
            "Happy Hannuka to you, as well! Shalom!"

"Happy Kwanzaa!"
            "Habari Gani, Umoja!"

Of course, I'm a salesman, so I'm naturally inclined to accomodate people...and also nothing that I believe in says that I should treat others poorly or disregard their beliefs in place of my own. You're a worshipper of the flying spaghetti monster? Delicious! You're a devout Scientologist? OK... maybe I do draw the line somewhere...
            "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
            -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

There's not a whole lot you can do - someone is going to find a way to take offense. 'You too!' is your best bet, and for the rest, learn to remember they are horribly twisted beings, and you should feel sorry for them.
              Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

I'm terribly pessimistic, so I'd say there isn't anything you could say which wouldn't piss off the passive-aggressive nutjobs that you deal with. Sorry. But, I guess if you have something pre-planned to say that may help.

I say "have a nice day" every single day that I work. I don't mention any holiday of any sort. Not to make any particular point, I just don't find it necessary. Plus "have a nice day" is such a habit, why bother breaking it? I think in all the years I have worked, only ONE woman took offense. She said "oh, are you not allowed to say Merry Christmas?" I said "there's no rule about it." and I moved on to the next customer. Honestly, very few people here cares either way. If someone wishes me happy holidays or whatever I say "you too." It's just not a big deal.

I really hope I'm not jinxing myself here. *looks around for wood to knock on*
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Stay home, lock the door, and nail the windows shut. Or failing that, just grit your teeth & say "you too!"
                  This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                  I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I just say "Good evening/morning/afternoon".

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post
                      I repeat back whatever my customer says...

"Merry Christmas"
                      "Merry Christmas to you, too!"

"Happy Hanukka!"
                      "Happy Hannuka to you, as well! Shalom!"
                      I could, but I was looking for something shorter, since even Merry Christmas doesn't roll off my tongue (part of that situation where we don't say it 49 weeks out of the year). "You too" probably sounds better to people than "Thank you" because the former is more reciprocal than the latter. Thanks, y'all; that was what I was looking for. Then I could adopt it permanently.

Comment

I grew up with the assumption that "happy holidays" referred to Christmas and New Year. Maybe Thanksgiving too. It never crossed my mind that it was an all-encompassing term. So if someone gets pissy about "happy holidays" and they insist it's "merry Christmas" just tell them you were wishing them both a merry Christmas and a happy new year in one greeting.
                        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                          So I'm not against Christmas; I do celebrate it. But it's not going to be ruined for me when people "take the Christ out of Christmas" because I believe in Him but see Christmas as a cultural/secular holiday. Therefore, I don't care about coffee cups or holiday greetings.

That said, I know there will be lots of people wishing Merry Christmas and that's fine. It's the ones who get in your face and say it emphatically to make some kind of point and get mad when you don't say it back. I'm not going to start suddenly using a phrase that I don't use 49 weeks out of the year. It simply doesn't roll off my tongue and my company doesn't tell us what phrases to use. We have no rules about that. I usually just respond, "Thank you." That appeases most, but not the Christmas Control Freaks. They look irritated when I thank them.

How do I head complaints off at the pass? Or am I just going to have to accept I can't control them and hope for the best? What do you all do?
                          yeah i started responding with blessed yule... just cause im a bitch.

Comment

I said Happy Solstice (I'm not even pagan) and I got a funny look. It was fun.

Comment

My husband and I (we are non-believers), were talking about that very thing in a restaurant, when the lady in a booth across from us came over and said, emphatically, "MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

I beamed at her and said, "Oh! Merry Christmas to you, too!" My husband did the same.

She looked shocked, and then muttered, "Um, I like to...say...Merry Christmas to people..." and left.

I believe in Christmas, and I use the word, and I am very happy when people wish me Happy Holidays, or anything else. I just wish it wasn't used as a political weapon. Sorry if I'm fratching.

Comment

Working...
                              X