This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irony

I'm accustomed to my personal health and safety getting trampled in the interest of never inconveniencing the almighty customer. I know my limits and there are lines that I will not cross, but the expectations put on me are ridiculous compared to the pampered treatment that some of these babies get. The irony of this one really made me laugh though.

The building I'm in has a raised floor in one section, it's a gently sloped ramp that only a complete moron would have trouble navigating their way across, so naturally, it's been determined to be a safety hazard. To compensate for this problem, they custom ordered some signs to be hung from the ceiling. My task is to hang them from the ceiling. Naturally I've got to climb a ladder to do so. My control freak customer orders this to be a one man task. Basic ladder safety requires one man to hold the ladder and one man to climb. He's ordering me to forego this basic safety requirement because of a safety concern for a bunch of morons, even going so far as to argue the point with me. Let's not even consider the total disregard for my safety, let's point out how this is (at most) a ten minute task. He's not willing to pay a second guy ten minutes to ensure the task is carried out safely, or at least with the most basic safety requirements covered.

I briefly considered staging an injury but thought better of it. I refused the task without an assistant, reminding him that this is basic ladder safety. He argued the point with me a bit, but then pulled his usual (fake) nice guy routine of patting me on the back to find the best spot for the knife.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Their safety is important; yours... Meh. Shocking, I know
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Remind him of safe he'll feel when the LAWYERS hear about this!
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Or perhaps remind him of what OSHA might do to his company.
        Last edited by Ironclad Alibi; 11-12-2015, 11:33 PM. Reason: fixed link
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Your OSHA links to a Wiki page about hammer drills.
          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
            Thanks. I fixed it. OSHA
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
              I don't know, sounds kinda like OSHA to me

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
                Quoth otter View Post
                I don't know, sounds kinda like OSHA to me
                I thought it was alluding to what OSHA would do to a company with safety violations.

Comment

Sounds like this guy is related to a New Jersey cop. Within the past few years, NJ brought in a law requiring snow and ice to be cleared off the tops of vehicles. A cop stopped a truck that had snow on the roof. Driver calls dispatch to make arrangements to get it cleared off. Dispatch arranges with a trucking company 2 blocks away that has a roof cleaning machine. Cop vetoes that, demands that the driver clear off the roof before moving the truck, threatens to arrest him for contempt if he moves the truck.

OHSA requires fall-stop gear if working more than 4 feet off the ground unless it's in an inherently safe (i.e. platform with railing) environment. Top of a van trailer is 13' 6" off the ground. Trailers have no provision for attaching fall-stop gear. Also (IANAL), doesn't it have to be a JUDGE'S order that gets violated before someone is charged with contempt?
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Also (IANAL), doesn't it have to be a JUDGE'S order that gets violated before someone is charged with contempt?
                    Wikipedia has an article on "Contempt of cop".

Comment

Sorry but I would probably trip on your ramp. I have issues with depth perception and clumsiness.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
                        Sorry but I would probably trip on your ramp. I have issues with depth perception and clumsiness.
                        But I'm sure you're smart enough to be aware of the ramp without the need for a sign that will most assuredly never be seen.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not against doing things in the interest of safety, even when it's something that basically unnecessary, it's more about me taking this safety step, while being ordered to disregard my personal safety.
                        Last edited by evilhomer; 11-14-2015, 02:13 PM.
                        D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
                        Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

I have a co-worker who tripped and broke her knee (or something) on the irregularity in the floor where a door had been cut into the shared wall between two buildings. After a blanket warning had been issued about the trip hazard.
                          Some folks have literally NO awareness of the floor or ground.

Comment

Quoth LoTech View Post
                            Some folks have literally NO awareness of the floor or ground.
                            True that. I have managed to trip on a crack in the sidewalk that was maybe a half inch displaced, if that.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                              True that. I have managed to trip on a crack in the sidewalk that was maybe a half inch displaced, if that.
                              I've been known to trip on completely flat, level floors before. Yes, I'm that klutzy.
                              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                              X