X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You need something to do

Today was weirdos and jerks.

Every time my co worker went on break poof it was busy!

This was a first... We have a window for VIPs. This dude wearing a suit went up to it while I had a huge line. I mentally growled. But that wasn't what made him a weirdo. He was acting strange and I could see him struggling.

SC: I'm trying to get my fat wallet out of my pocket. See?

He turns around and I see him trying to dig out the wallet of his back pocket. I'm like okay...

SC: Hey, can you reach in and help me?

Me: ...No.

Can I reach into your ass pocket and help you dig out your wallet? NO. Also, I'm behind bars couldn't and wouldn't if I could. He literally lifted his ass and practically had it on the counter shaking it at me.

I hit the help button. (Not the robber alarm but we have a button that can be heard in the back if we have a line) I made my boss deal with him.

This lady made a bitch comment and I called her out on it and then she tried to play it off as she was kidding..

We no longer take change at the cage we now have a coinstar machine. We have little coin holders that we use to so we can give back change on tickets but we no longer take in large amounts.

This lady didn't have a crazy amount but she had like .50 in pennies. I didn't have the room and was told by the supervisor if I have a line and they have change like that even if it only makes a dollar--they have to use the machine.

Me: We actually have a machine now.

SC: They usually take it but I guess some aren't as good counters as others. *sneers*

Me: Ooh, Really?! The machine is over there.

My happy tone changed to a "you are a bitch" tone and she changed her attitude real fast.

SC: I uh didn't mean it like that... *cue nervous laughter*

I just continued to fake laugh with her and then dead panned and gave her the eye and pointed to the machine.

I despise the following phrases:
    "You look like you need something to do" "You look bored" "I guess the ticket machines are taking your job away"

I am NEVER bored even if it appears I'm just "standing there."

I am doing stuff behind the scenes that you don't see. I don't want my bosses hearing that either!

This guy came up and pissed me off.

SC: You look bored. Need something to do?

I ignored it but he kept repeating it. I wanted to say NO! No I do not need
    something to do!

I monotoned "sure" but I was an angry panda. Everybody thinks they're so clever with this. It's not and I HATE it. It's rude.

Think you could get away with "Bored? Oh, no. I'm just lucky that my job doesn't have me rushing around all the time like a headless chicken. What can I do for you today?"
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

My favorite is "You must've been waiting for me." No, no I wasn't. It's either a moment of downtime or I've just had a rush of 20 customers and I'm taking a mental vacation before I have deal with idiots like you. My fake laugh is getting pretty good for people like that.
      I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

"You look lost. Let me tell you where you can go."

Comment

I think a lot of SCs think that our only job is to wait on them. NOT to deal with the glitchy safe, count tills(when's the last time they counted $5,000 in cash in a five minute time window?), organize shifts, create flyers, prep displays, steam clothes, unload truck and organize products, do store budgets, play phone tag with corporate, do over the phone sales, keep an outdated company computer system running, maintain a safe working environment, keep everything working in the store, schedule routine maintenance, restock shelves, handle returns, ship unsellable products back to corporate, answer hundreds of emails every day from suppliers/etc, deal with logistical problems involving stock and supplies, ordering new office supplies from the corporate approved middleman(nightmare), counting inventory to make sure warehouse didn't screw us over, ship orders out to customers, keep the store tidy, and watch their horrible children. That's probably like 25% of what we do. I just can't think of the rest because it's so convoluted.

So YES. There is plenty for us to do behind the scenes at all times. Unfortunately, we can't do behind the scenes stuff on the sales floor when there are customers in the store.

Comment

Does the coin machine keep a percentage like the one at the grocery store?

Comment

Quoth flyonthewall View Post
              I think a lot of SCs think that our only job is to wait on them.
              Absolutely, there's always stuff for us to do even if there are few or no customers. Fabric to reshelve, merchandise to stock, cleaning, restocking the bathrooms, etc. Trust me, we are not standing idle twiddling our thumbs waiting for the Almighty Customer to grace us with their presence.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
                I LOVE it! And with the right facial expression and tone of voice, you might even be able to get away with actually using it!
                "You look lost; Would you like me to tell you where to go?"

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
                  Helen Frye handles all transactions of that nature. You need to go to Helen Frye.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Helen Frye handles all transactions of that nature. You need to go to Helen Frye.

"My first name is Helen. Wouldn't it be funny if my surname was 'Back'. Because then my name would be Helen Back. But it's not. My surname is Mucous."

Comment

Quoth flyonthewall View Post
                      I think a lot of SCs think that our only job is to wait on them. NOT to deal with the glitchy safe, count tills(when's the last time they counted $5,000 in cash in a five minute time window?), organize shifts, create flyers, prep displays, steam clothes, unload truck and organize products, do store budgets, play phone tag with corporate, do over the phone sales, keep an outdated company computer system running, maintain a safe working environment, keep everything working in the store, schedule routine maintenance, restock shelves, handle returns, ship unsellable products back to corporate, answer hundreds of emails every day from suppliers/etc, deal with logistical problems involving stock and supplies, ordering new office supplies from the corporate approved middleman(nightmare), counting inventory to make sure warehouse didn't screw us over, ship orders out to customers, keep the store tidy, and watch their horrible children. That's probably like 25% of what we do. I just can't think of the rest because it's so convoluted.

So YES. There is plenty for us to do behind the scenes at all times. Unfortunately, we can't do behind the scenes stuff on the sales floor when there are customers in the store.
                      Totally agree! this was a HUGE pet peeve of mine when I worked retail. With both customers and CWs! We were always busy; very rarely did we have nothing to do. Once in a blue moon, when it was dead slow, and the store was pristine, but that was a rarity.

we also would get customers who came to work there, and i think they thought it woudl be all sunshine and roses, and they could help customers put together pretty outfits, and so on. HA. yes, we did that, but we also had to fold and straighten the entire store, and for those of us who closed, empty trash, bring hangers in the back, vacuum, dust, etc. Many didn't last because it was simply "too much work"

Comment

Working...
                      X