This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
    I work with a girl who spells it like you do. I know a couple of other girls who spell it that way toom
    It seems to be more common nowadays, especially in England and America, wasn't so common when I was growing up though.
    DA| Youtube|Twitter

Comment

Both my grandmother and wife have names that can be abbreviations or alternate versions of Elizabeth, but neither of them are named Elizabeth, their only given name is the alternate name.
      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
        Except that we now know what "G" stands for...and I think Hetty has known all along. And he's not an orphan, we've met his father.
        Ooh, I kind of gave up on it before that came out. What was it, please? PM me if you don't want to spoil people!
        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
          My aunt had a similar problem. Her name is "Betty", is it not short for "Elizabeth". Teacher in grade school wouldn't believe her.

Except that we now know what "G" stands for...and I think Hetty has known all along. And he's not an orphan, we've met his father.
          I propose a new rule for CS:

"Any thread that goes long enough will eventually references NCIS or Simpsons; often times both."

As for me, my name is short for something and the long form is on my license and passport, but I go by the short one.

Growing up in school, I remember when I first started in Grade 1 and 2, how the teachers would assume my name was female and/or misspelled and they would correct it to end in an 'i' instead of a 'y'.

Since then, I rarely have many issues with my first name.

Spelling my last name on the phone however has been a challenge. It starts with the Sp sound which most people seem to think is a St sound. So every time we give our last name, it's always "Ess Pee as in Peter.... "and they STILL spell it with a T. (Then again maybe they are hearing "Ess Tee as in Teeter..." Maybe we should start using Pee as in Paul or Pee as in Papa... but I'm sure they'd still mess it up.

Comment

How about pee as in pee?
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

My maternal grandfather and great uncle both had "abbreviated" full names, Harry and Reggie - not Harold & Reginald. Great uncle usually went by Reg, abbreviating it further...
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                How about pee as in pee?
                Because they still hear it as "Tee as in Tee".

Now that I think of it, there are a lot of P-words that sound like T-words if you replace the P with a T.

(Peter Teeter, Paul Tall, Pee Tee. Papa Tata).

Luckily the mailman would deliver whether it was addressed to Sp<name> or St<name> so we just rolled with it.

But to this day, even when I'm giving my name to people, I usually peek at how they type them in and have to correct them about half the time.

Comment

I would use Papa, since that's the official "phonetic word" used by NATO. The corresponding word for T is Tango.

Also, it's not correct to say "P as in Papa" when using the phonetic alphabet. You should just say "Sierra Papa ..." for "S-P-...". Anyone with even vague familiarity with the phonetic alphabet will understand this, and it takes much less time.

Comment

I want to meet a female me. My name's unusual enough to be different,but not enough that you can use it as a female one.And thank goodness for Harry Potter.I can now tell them 'as in the actor,' instead of 'as in the town'.
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                      I would use Papa, since that's the official "phonetic word" used by NATO. The corresponding word for T is Tango.

Also, it's not correct to say "P as in Papa" when using the phonetic alphabet. You should just say "Sierra Papa ..." for "S-P-...". Anyone with even vague familiarity with the phonetic alphabet will understand this, and it takes much less time.
                      They should, but don't. One of my pet peeves is when looking up a reservation and they insist on spelling the name one letter at a time and using the phonetic alphabet just to slow things down even more. Expedia reps are most guilty of it, even with common last names like Jones.
                      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I meant that any *listener* who was aware of a phonetic alphabet should understand a spelling *made* that way.

It takes a good deal more than "vague" familiarity to rattle it off so efficiently, though.

Comment

On the subject of names common or not I hate the "made up" names. Point in case:

I once had a co-erker who name was spelled (Vagina) When it was pointed out their parents really did hate them by naming them after a female body part they said and I quote "No it like Regina but with a V" I pointed out that it should have been Vegina and was told I "don't know how to spell or speak English".... Funny as I have a published poem, its my primary language, and just to add insult to injury I handed them a Websters Dictionary.

Its not that i'm being an asshole, but don't name your kids stupid stuff and then tell them its pronounced different and makes them special.

Comment

Well, thanks to all of the odd spellings out there, I get asked frequently how to spell my name. it's JANE, folks. Not Jayne. Not Jaine. Not Whoopdedoo. Just Plain Jane. J-A-N-E.
                            My last name is a whole 'nother fight.

Comment

Quoth ladyjaneinmd View Post
                              Well, thanks to all of the odd spellings out there, I get asked frequently how to spell my name. it's JANE, folks. Not Jayne. Not Jaine. Not Whoopdedoo. Just Plain Jane. J-A-N-E.

I will now refer to you as Whoopdedoo in the future.

Comment

Quoth ladyjaneinmd View Post
                                Grey? So what have you been up for the last 450 years,Your Majesty?
                                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                                X