This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tow Files: Summer Whine

So named because summer semester, being only 9 weeks long, is the runt of the litter and only about 20% of a typical class hangs around campus for it. That means, acres and acres of parking being, apparently, unused.

Protip: It's still private

Yes, since the spring semester ended, I've been towing TWICE as many cars a day as I was when the lots were full, and everyone, EVERYONE, has the same darn excuse/complaint. "But the lot was empty!"

Well, here's a little hypothetical experiment I'd love to play with them, I'd like to camp out near their house/apartment/cave, and as soon as they leave their driveway, I'm going to park my truck in it and walk away, and when they complain, I'll just tell them "Hey, it was empty" and see how THEY like it.

Seriously, after getting that story 30 times a day, it gets old, FAST.

So, here's some other, more diverse nuttiness.

This Lady Needs A Mulligan

Because today, you've already:

1. Got your car towed for illegal parking
    2. Had to pay $130 to get it released
    3. Hit another impounded car in the impound, backing up
    4. Got out to inspect the damage, and forgot to put yours in gear, causing it to roll away to the other side of the lot and strike ANOTHER impounded car.
    5. Forced us to call Ossafer Friendly down here to write up a report so the owners of those other two cars don't try and claim it was all our fault.

My advice? Just walk away, slowly, no sudden moves, and we all live to see tomorrow......

This One, Does Not

Your final score on our interaction with her today, ASSHOLES: 6 THUGS: 1

That is to say in the time it took her to walk in the impound lot, from the gate to her car, she was able to call us "assholes" five times.

Then, upon being informed she couldn't drive out as she hadn't paid yet (she was being let in to get her purse that had all her money and ID in it, you know, because your car is the perfect place to keep that) and would have to walk back up front on foot, pay, and then return to drive off, she said we were "thugs".

And then, upon her return trip, we were called "assholes" again, and, as we stood a smilin' , a wavin' and a not-giving-a-damnin' about all that, we got the one-fingered salute, a laid-on horn and a gravel-sling for good measure.

I tell ya, Miss Manners was sent right into a coma upon hearing about it, and has yet to revive.

Why I Have a Job, A Play in Three Acts.

ACT I 9:50 AM - Tow Grey Toyota Prius from 466 Keystone Plaza for no permit
    ACT II 11:20 AM - Owner picks up car for $130, leaves.
    ACT III 1:30 PM - Tow Grey Toyota Prius from 466 Keystone Plaza for no permit

I ain't even mad, Bro, just really, really bemused.

Now That Was Just Stupid

No, it wasn't the fact you forged a Wrong Side of the Tracks Reality parking permit. No, that was not the stupid part.

It wasn't the fact you did a real craptastic job on said forgery. (Wrong color "base" paper, permits there are printed on hot-neon-pink paper, not hot-neon-green paper, and that was just the most obvious of several errors) Nope, that was, somehow, not the stupid part.

It wasn't the fact you attracted the attention of Wrong Side of the Tracks Reality's lot monitor, who has the full-time job of looking for illegally parked cars and calling us on them, because WSOTT has had it up to "here" with freeloaders, moochers, charity cases and other no-hopers abusing their parking lots without permits. So, your forgery had TWO pairs of eyes giving it the business, ours and theirs. And you failed on both counts. No, that wasn't the stupid part.

The real STUPID part, was when you,

Wait for it.

Got towed for the fake, and then went to the WSOTT reality office to pay for the tow.

Why? No idea. The signs at all WSOTT properties have our name/number on them, you'd think logically you would call the towing company if you got, well you know, Towed? Then again, if you can't read the first sign that says "permit parking only" it's no surprise you can't read the subsequent ones that say "Towing by Friendly Neighborhood Towing XXX-XXXX". But in this case, your selective illiteracy would prove very costly.

Because when you stepped in the door of WSOTT and said "I'm here for my car" and the office ladies just looked at you funny, so you decided to clarify it for them by saying "I live at your place on X street, and I'm here for my green 2010 Honda that got towed for the fake permit I had in it" the office ladies, after looking at you strange for a few more seconds, put two and two together and, well.....

See, having identified yourself as a person who just committed forgery, and where you live, and what you drive, WSOTT has put your name and vehicle on the "radioactive" list, you will NOT be getting parking from them, for that property, for that car, ever again..... EVER. And the semester JUST started......

THAT was stupid, Amigo. Muy Stupid.

But Possibly, Not THIS Stupid.

Yup, the night shift guy, tows in a car.

A car that had no permit for the apartment lot it parked in.

Ho-hum, seen it before, thousands of times.

Shortly thereafter, Yup gets a phonecall from the owner. Who wants to know why they got towed. Yup informs them they didn't have a permit.

They say they do.

Yup says he didn't see one.

Well DUH, it's not IN the car! They have it in their hand, right now!

Yup tells them that won't do them any good, it has to be IN the car to be valid, same way your W2s don't do any good unless the IRS had them by the 15th.... but I digress. They say they're coming in and they're bringing that permit.

Well, okay, it's a free country you can do that. But, like taking to the Oregon Trail with all those grandfather clocks, it ain't gonna do ya any good....

So they come in. They meet Yup at the counter. They try again with the "but we have a permit!" excuse, waving it in front of Yup.

Yup just grins and says "Can I see that permit?"

They hand it over.

Yup tears it in two and tosses it over his shoulder.

Surprisingly, they don't get mad, they kinda just stand there mouth open, in silence, for a few seconds....

"W- w- why'd you do that?" They ask

"You know why" Yup says, "$130, Cash or credit"

They pay, and leave with their car, and not with their "permit", not just because it was now torn asunder, but because it was tampered to start with.

How did Yup know?

Well, when your idea of a flawless execution of forgery looks like this:

GLOBAL DOMINATION REALITY
    PARKING PASS: 200 SALAMANDER CT

STARTS: FRI 5 - 6 -16 5 -13-16
    EXPIRES: MON 5 - 9-16 5-16 -16

Is it any wonder? Yeah, they just drew a single line through the old dates on an expired legit temp permit and wrote new ones.... just, like, daaaaaaaaaaaatttttt.

And maybe you now understand why Yup decided it's suffered bad enough and euthanized it to put it out of our misery.

Wherein I Enforce Ancient Rites of Time Passage

The way some people refuse to cooperate with the parking meters around here, you'd think that we're only a generation removed from being part of the great Parking Meter Empire and, having finally achieved our independence in that bloody revolution, we are NOT going to ever be brought to heel by the likes of those lanky steel automatons ever again!

Seriously, the number of "excuses" I've been showered with when someone returns to their car only to find me feeding it to my truck because they didn't feed the meter are not only varied, but, delivered with such righteous indignation that I have to wonder if me selling their own kids to a travelling circus would elicit even half as much rage. And keep in mind, the meter rules around here are comparatively lax, you have to get four, FOUR tickets before the meter maid goes all Hammer of Thor on you, and, there's a Borough-mandated two-hour "cool down" between tickets, meaning you get hit for an expired meter, they can't give you another unless you stay there another two hours, it would take you EIGHT HOURS of parking at a SINGLE EXPIRED METER to get towed in one-shot, most of these folk are getting the gate for multiple outstanding tickets that I've personally seen go back to at least 2013

No matter, seems as soon as you pick the car up, the owner's Spidey Sense goes off and they come running from the woodwork, sure that what I'm doing practically violates the entirety of the Geneva Convention.

I get the usual canards:

"I'm from out of town!" (apparently, every parking meter in the country EXCEPT ours are just there for decoration, you don't REALLY have to pay them (The last guy who tried this even told me "I'm from SCRANTON!" Dude, I've been there, they have meters)

"I was just leaving!" (Circumstantial evidence says otherwise, according to these tickets, you've been "Just leaving" since 3 AM, this morning, it's now 9.... PM!)

"I didn't know you had to pay them after *insert arbitrary time of day here* " (The sign you drove past to get into this lot says "24 hour meter parking", this earned a nasty retort of "I CAN READ!" , well, as above, circumstantial evidence says otherwise!

"You can't cut me a break?" ($75 for a drop plus your tickets IS the break, otherwise, it's $130, plus your tickets, plus whatever it would cost you out-of-pocket to hoof it to our place)

You get the picture, it takes a pretty inventive "excuse" to make me stop for a second and ponder. I got it the other day. This lady told me, upon finding me sizing up her car, that she hadn't paid the meters because "They're archaic"

Uh...

Yeah, how was SHE supposed to know something so "archaic" as a coin-op parking meter was still being used? That's old technology, don't I know that? Why she doesn't know of ANY place that still uses something THAT PALEOLITHIC!

Uhm- hmmm.....

Look lady, I know this may shock you, being that you appear to be 20something and all, but, there are people alive to day, aside from your parents, who PREDATE you, and let me tell you, a coin-fed digital parking meter is NOT "archaic" because me, lil ol' me, not a spring chicken by any measure, but also a long way off from being social security eligible can remember a time that parking meters would AUDIBLY TICK, because they had clockwork springs driving them, not 9v smoke alarm batteries... so you're going to have to do a LOT better than that to evade the law of this land (Which is itself over 200 years old, making it downright Precambrian by your twisted standards).

She wasn't happy, but she paid...... in low-tech 20th Century cash, how ironic.....

Paper Trail

Hello? Why yes good sir, we do seem to have your Audi here in our parking lot. Why? Well, it seems you put it on the 3rd level of the parking garage at the Nichols Street Apartments, and it didn't have a permit allowing it to be there, so we rectified that little problem by putting it over here, where no permits are needed.

What's that? Oh, well, lessee...... looks like it was towed at 11:00.

Huh? You say that's impossible? Well, empirical evidence seems to suggest that it's not only not impossible, but highly PROBABLE that we towed you.

You say we're lying? Because you weren't parked there at 11? Uh, well, that's when we got there, that's when you got towed... wait, you say you have PROOF that we're lying? You have a receipt from The Sammich Shop? That shows you bought a sandwich there at 10:45?

I really don't know what you are trying to prove here, Junior. That place is in a walk-in storefront in a building with NO parking. Unless you drove through the WALL of The Sammich Shop, there's no way your car was THERE with you when you ordered that sammich, so that receipt proves nothing, and is probably the second-strongest evidence that you were NOT with your car at 11pm because we were towing it, just like we said.

What's the STRONGEST evidence? The pictures on this here tablet, that we took, as our truck was backing under your car, at Nicholas Street Apartments, timestamped at 11:00. yeah, we take pictures now, because we got tired of people claiming those 10 year old bumper blemishes that had dirt and grass stains on them were actually caused by us.... welcome to the 21st Century, you damn dirty liar.

Aaaaand.... pizza time. I will see you all later.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Regarding the Prius you towed twice from the same place in less than 4 hours, considering what the owner's thought processes must have been, are you sure it was 466 Keystone Plaza and not 420 (plus) Keystone (light) Plaza?

With the forger on the radioactive list, since WSOTT (presumably their landlord) won't ever be issuing them a parking permit, where will they obtain parking? My guess is at the Friendly Neighbourhood Towing lot - only $130, with no in-and-out privilege.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I think Arga's city would drive me nuts. There's basically no free parking anywhere at all, to hear him tell it. Given that his city predates automobiles by a good century or so, can't say I'm surprised. There isn't space because they didn't plan for it, not being time travelers or psychics.

You can find free parking pretty much anywhere in Denver except the heart of downtown, if you're willing to walk a bit, and most places you don't even have to walk that far. It's even easy to avoid paying for downtown parking; if you have Colorado plates you can park for free at one of the many park-n-rides near the light rail and just take the train into downtown.

That said the one time I did need to park downtown (job interview), I made darn sure I had change. The meters (I think) did take cards but I didn't know that beforehand. Doesn't happen anymore. There are a lot of things I don't like about not owning a car (such as waiting for a bus in bad weather) but never having to worry about getting towed is a perk. So is paying $100, total, for all transportation expenses each month.
      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Here's what I thought of when I first read the title:

Summer Whines towed 'em so fast
        Summer Whines towed 'em at last
        Towed from a lot a crazy SC
        Permit was forged, fake as can be
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
          I think Arga's city would drive me nuts. There's basically no free parking anywhere at all, to hear him tell it. Given that his city predates automobiles by a good century or so, can't say I'm surprised. There isn't space because they didn't plan for it, not being time travelers or psychics.
          Actually, I think Arga lives in a "college town", where a certain blue-ish and white football team plays, where their mascot is a type of mountain lion...

My wife actually briefly went to school there, and she told me that she suspects that they (the town) have these "parking" permit rules and ordinances to get money from the college kids and "out of towners".
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
            Actually, I think Arga lives in a "college town", where a certain blue-ish and white football team plays, where their mascot is a type of mountain lion...

My wife actually briefly went to school there, and she told me that she suspects that they (the town) have these "parking" permit rules and ordinances to get money from the college kids and "out of towners".
            We have the rules because it's impossible to find free parking for 100,000 people with cars in a town founded two decades before the war. The Civil War. Making you have to pay for it is intentionally supposed to deter you from wanting to bring a car with you when you sign up to go to school here. And it's even harder now than when I was a kid as the downtown elders have decided to try and keep the "small town" feel to the place and won't let you raze anything simply to replace it with a parking lot (ordinance dictates that street-level of ALL Buildings must be dedicated to retail, even the PARKING GARAGES aren't exempt from this, you have to go up a level just to start looking for a space. Also, the university is hemmed in on all sides, the only way they can "expand" their campus with new buildings is to put them off-campus (requiring you drive) or sacrifice a parking lot. THey're almost out of lots to offer up in this way, when football season rolls around, 99% of parking is "wherever we can put a car". There are horses grazing in the "F" lot as we speak.....

Most of the headache comes from people who didn't research any of this before showing up and try to take it out on me when the campus police catch them in a facility lot because they want to drive to class, or assume the parking will be just as free and plentiful as whatever car-friendly subdivision they left to get here....

Spoiler: There's a reason I have a job.

Comment

It's interesting how different our cities are. Denver is HUGE compared to where Arga lives, we have at least five institutions of higher learning I can name without looking anything up, and we don't have any parking problems like what he describes. I'm sure there are illegal parkers though, and that tow trucks stay busy (especially on game day, we do have the stadiums of Colorado's teams for Handegg, Hoopball, Not-Quite-Rounders and Ice Sport).

Oh wait, did Arga mean that the college population is about 100,000? Derp.
              Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 05-19-2016, 11:34 PM.
              "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                Here's what I thought of when I first read the title:

Summer Whines towed 'em so fast
                Summer Whines towed 'em at last
                Towed from a lot a crazy SC
                Permit was forged, fake as can be
                Summer tows, pay through the nose,
                But uh-oh, those summer whines!
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I am always excited to see an Arga post! Probably as excited as when a new book in my favorite series come out. Luckily my parking space comes with my condo. Before that I lived in apartments and luckily those were free too. Thank you Arga for entertaining us with tales of stupid.

Comment

There are meters in downtown Portland OR (which I avoid like the plague unless I can take the light rail) and in Vancouver, WA, where we go once every six months to talk finance. My written instructions for how to find our manager's office has written on it, "BE SURE TO BRING CHANGE FOR THE METER!!!!!" in large blue letters. So far we haven't had a bit of trouble, but then again we're law-abiding, e.g. if a lot says "Permit Parking Only" we don't park there, and if we're going to be there longer than the meter is set for, Turtleguy trots down and feeds the meter again, even if it's raining.

Comment

I really like Yup.

That's almost Twitch levels of awesomeness right there!
                      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I had a great surprise one day, when I went down to return my books to that wonderful Multnomah County Library. (circa 1973 or so.) I fed the meter like a good girl, and went to the return place, leaving my dog in the car.

I return to the car, having at least 15 minutes to go on the meter, and it's gone. I call the police to report it stolen, and they tell me it was hooked for unpaid parking tickets...

I can't understand it, so I ask for proof, and they show me a stack of tickets; the plate number and description match my car. After shelling out plenty of money, I get my car and my dog back.

I open the glove compartment, and there are the 20 or so tickets my husband got. Turns out, he never dropped coins in the meters. He just took the ticket off the windshield, and stuffed it in the glove box.

About 14 months later, he became my ex-husband.
                        I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
                        - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

And we're all driving with tons of Mulligan people. At school, from a handy upstairs window, I watched a guy take 4-5 tries to get a compact car into a regular parking space. No parallel parking, nothing difficult, just a regular space. Back in fall it was fun to drive down the residential street nearest the school parking lots. People would park in the fire lanes, and the enforcement officers would just troll up and down the street writing tickets. This isn't even the university it's the technical college, which isn't nearly as bad parking-wise.
                          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Well miss radioactive got towed today, to her credit, there was no fake in the car, but, she did just park it there and waltz inside. Because I saw her do it from down the block. One Borough mandated 15 minute wait later, and she was paying for a drop.

And she's not even in the lead for most tows from WSOTT properties this year, that goes to the dude with the other Honda with Maine plates that we have towed SEVEN times.

SEVEN.

The kicker, he doesn't complain, he just pays his $130, leaves, and ends up right back there again within 48 hours.

7 x 130 = 910

He has spent almost a GRAND on getting his car towed, from a property that, near as I can tell, he doesn't even LIVE at (the car is not there all the time), and for some reason, won't buy a temp permit from WSOTT....

And the car is stuffed full of Borough parking tickets, campus parking tickets, assorted private lot tickets, It wouldn't surprise me to learn that he may have another couple hundred (and escalating) in outstanding tickets on top of that grand he's already forked over to us....

It's like, you do realize why this keeps happening right? You do know that you don't HAVE to do it this way, right?

Right?

Please, dear God, just say "yes", lie if you must, I don't think I could take living on this planet anymore if you say "no".

Comment

God damnit, why am I not rich enough to be able to drop a grand on towing fees and not even CARE?

The world isn't fair sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                              X