This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Shyla View Post
    I'm really unclear why typing at a computer wasn't acting like a woman.
    Me too. (filler)
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Crai View Post
      Call me a freak but I think some women look hot bald...
      I am so jealous of women who can shave their heads and look good. I'd look like a fuzzy bowling ball.

Comment

I have a tiny head, though you can hardly tell because I have so much hair. I wouldn't look good bald. But I have seen some stunningly beautiful bald women. Just gorgeous. Hair is nice to have, but not necessary.

Comment

My hair simply won't grow. I tried to grow it for two years once, and it got down to about chin length, then got thicker and thicker, until I looked as though I'd been attacked by a rusted tumbleweed. I got tired of looking like that no matter what I did, so I got it cut. Now that my hair is gray I look like I've been attacked by a gone-to-seed dandelion if I let my hair get too long. Like Food Lady, I've seen some stunningly beautiful bald women; however, my sister, who I resemble quite strongly, lost all her hair because of chemotherapy years ago, so I doubt if I'd be one of those beautiful bald women. According to her she looked like a pink bowling ball. When her hair came back in it was pure white and curly ("I look like a poodle!" she wailed), very much unlike her natural dark mahogany hair.

Comment

I find that the times mine wouldn't seem to grow it was breaking off due to damage/dryness. Not saying that's the case with you; some people just have a shorter terminal length. I'm trying to get to knee (so it falls at mid-thigh) but I don't know what my genetics will allow. Currently at hip.

Comment

I used to try to grow my hair long . . . It gets to chin length and then just keeps splitting, and splitting, and splitting . . . Depressing.

Comment

The hair-shaming never does end for women, though. I now have people saying things like "Oh, you still have long hair at your age."

First off - It's not THAT long (mid-back) and more often than not I have it up in a knot. But still, people think I really need to hear what they think of my hair...

My feeling is this: The only comment that is ever appropriate about someone's appearance is an unreserved compliment, and even then, you need to consider whether that person really cares what you think of their appearance - probably, they don't. Appearance-based comments are particularly inappropriate in a professional setting.

And backhanded compliments (i.e. "You look great for your age.." or "wow! You sure look better than you did!") are just as rude as criticisms.
                Last edited by wordgirl; 07-18-2016, 04:20 PM.

Comment

When I was in the Air Force (early 70's) I had a chaplain's wife inform me that if you were over 18 you should not have long hair. My hair was shoulder length (put it up for work) and I just ignored her. Now I keep my hair short because it just seems easier to take care of. It's extremely frizzy and curly anyhow. Also, the older I got the slower it grows.
                  "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

I have short hair and sometimes get called 'sir' despite the fact that my chest protrudes out very much so and that even from behind one can tell I'm very much female. I have, on more then two occasions, turned around when people start screaming to get my attention, put my hands under my VERY sizable chest, push the damn boulders up, and ask 'can I help you?'. All but maybe one or two people didn't get embarrassed by that.
                    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

I think you all missed something about the man. These quotes are from Wikipedia on homophobia...

internalized homophobia, experienced by people who have same-sex attractions, regardless of how they identify.
                      the word was used to refer to heterosexual men's fear that others might think they are gay
                      Furthermore there is this Homosexual panic

Perrhaps he should be pitied. Someone who is not very self aware and lashing out in pain and frustration needs to be understood.

Comment

Quoth wordgirl View Post
                        The hair-shaming never does end for women, though. I now have people saying things like "Oh, you still have long hair at your age."
                        Oh, they'd LOVE me. I'm 42 with hair passing hip and I intend to let it go grey, even helping it along with highlights if necessary. I want to be an old lady with a long silver braid!

Comment

Well, nobody cares about my hair (mousy brown and medium-long), but I've had more than one customer assume I know about earrings because I'm female. If I them them I've never had my ears pierced I get a blank look, or a dismissive "well, you've seen earrings before!" Look, I'm not lying about my ears just to get out of helping you. It's not something I inherently know because of my gender. And I do identify as female, I just don't like jewelry.
                          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                            I used to try to grow my hair long . . . It gets to chin length and then just keeps splitting, and splitting, and splitting . . . Depressing.
                            I let my hair grow once, just to see what my 'natural' length was. I still don't know. By the time it got down to my hips, it was so hot and sweaty that I honestly worried about mildew, so now it's just short and almost-gray. At least it's not as thick now anyway.
                            100 years ago, I would have been one of those women with hair puddling around her feet.

Comment

I used to have long, (non-orange) red, hair. Even having a tough scalp did nothing to reduce the number of migraines I got from the sheer weight of it. Between that and the fact that I had people constantly trying to TOUCH IT, I got it cut off. That did cause a stylist to almost cry, but they didn't have to deal with it day in and day out.. I did.

Now that it's darker (amazing what avoiding the sun will do, more auburn than the red any more) and going silver, I might let it grow out again, but I'll have to figure out knots to take the weight off the face and neck.
                              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                                I might let it grow out again, but I'll have to figure out knots to take the weight off the face and neck.
                                I learned a bunch from people online. I have a list you could search on youtube. They can all be held with a stick/pencil, pins, or small claw clips and some take 10 seconds to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X