Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things I am tired of hearing (feel free to add your own!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
    "Don't work too hard!"
    I'm trying not to.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

(when there's an issue with order just delivered) "I don't have my order number, but I have the item number. Can you pull me up with that?"
      Sure, that will work about as well as finding a specific guy wearing a red shirt in Memorial Stadium around noon on Saturday.

Comment

Back from the bad old days when I had to talk to customers...

"It's the principle of the thing!" This meant I was going to be tortured for a half-hour over a 10 cent mystery charge.

Comment

I thought of another one:

Don't you ever go home? or Is that all you do, is work?

Yes, I do go home. i promise I do. They just make me come back. Also, I'm aware I work too much. Can you take that up with Manager? No? Then stop asking.
          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Not really relevant since I stormed out of that place mid-shift after throwing my nametag on the table, but here goes from the old job (hopefully I'll have a whole new list of things to hate hearing soon...interview tomorrow!)

"Do you have an ATM?" (not really a sucky question in itself, it's just that I got tired of hearing it 12 gazillion times a day...and WHY do you need cash, freaking PARKING lots and train stations take cards around here).

"But I booked a balcony!" No you didn't, we have two kinds of suites, you booked the wrong one, it isn't my fault you can't read.

"Why don't you have an airport shuttle?" Because we're 45 minutes from the airport, nobody wants to pay for the gas for that.

"The website said you had a shuttle." It said for local hospitals only. Get on the damn bus if you want to go to the mall. Denverites don't bite and you aren't going to catch something from us. At least nothing you couldn't have picked up walking through a crowd at home.

"Can I pay for my room in cash?" Fine. I love getting out of work 45 minutes late to account for this just because you don't want to join the 20th century (let alone the 21st).

"Are there more cookies?"
            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

"Can you change a fiver/tenner/twenty for the carpark?"

No, not unless you buy something. This is cuz we were asking for so much change before, the cash office got pissy and this rule was imposed. Just buy a chocolate bar or a packet of chewing gum, or, radical concept I know, get some change before you head out. All the whining in the world is not going to change this policy. *snicker*
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

"You have five people today; you should easily be able to get the truck done."

Yeah, okay. Two of us work as hard and as fast as we can, one works at a decent pace but is careless and puts things in the wrong spot, or backstocks stuff that needs to be stocked on the floor, or leaves cardboard and trash lying around for others to pick up, and the other two move almost as fast as a sloth on Lorazepam.

The joys of working at one of the worst employers in town. You probably won't ever get in trouble for performance, but neither will anybody else.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Trixie View Post

Anyway, working in photo "Does it really take a half-hour for my pictures?" Well, now that depends. If the lab is busy or your order is large, it may take longer, if not and you're nice, I'll do what I can.
                  "But it's only one photo!"
                  "Yes, but there are several orders in the queue before yours"
                  "But it's only one photo! Why does it take so long?"
                  "We print orders in the order they come in, yours was last, so it comes through after everything else already in the queue"
                  Internally: The longer you whinge at me the longer it's going to take me to start the next job meaning your order will be even further away...

I get this far too often

Comment

"If a cell phone signal can mess with the navigation, how safe can we really be?" Or the related "Um, excuse me, First Officer Swordsman, we have a passenger who won't power down his X before we push. Can you come take care of it?"

Let me let you guys in on a little secret: I'm as sick of that rule as I am being called back to enforce it. However, because tablets, phones, laptops, and countless other devices emit radio waves that might have a remote chance to interfere with navigation, GPS, communications, and TCAS, we still have to have you shut it off even if the evidence for doing so is extremely limited and all laboratory exercises.

"But why can we turn them back on at cruising altitude?" Because during take-offs and landings we are in an area of greater traffic density, and drastically changing our relationship to the big green solid object below us that hasn't lost a collision with one of these flying tin cans yet. We are constantly talking on the radio and we are constantly trying to avoid slamming into another plane with not much room to maneuver. Anything that might cause an issue with the systems that help us do that have to be turned off.

Still and yet, we haven't lost a plane yet because little Timmy was playing Pokemon Go while we were on approach to O'Hare (or wherever) , so I'll be glad when the FAA says electronic devices are a non-issue.

There's another one I hate getting. After we have a bumpy landing, some wag who thinks he's clever always has to look our way when deplaning and say "let me guess: Navy pilots?"
                    O God, thy sky is so vast and my plane is so small.

Comment

Just assume it's a compliment. After all, Navy pilots just about have to be the most highly-skilled pilots in order to land in all weather/visibility conditions on a moving bucking heaving object roughly the size of a postage stamp.
                      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

"I need change for a twenty." ...then buy a pack of gum. I can't open the drawer without a cash sale. (not entirely correct, but no-sales are tracked so I try not to do it)

"This isn't ringing up right."

"Hey! HELLOOOO!" ....learn to ask for help.

"Do you have a [bank] here?" Just the ATM. Yes, that's all we've ever had. Closest bank branch is about six blocks thataway. Even our website says we just have the ATM, I don't know where you got your info.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Swordsman422 View Post
                          Snip
                          I'm sure you've had to answer this often, but I guess I'm one of those people that will obey rules regarding electronics, but still wonder why they're there. I found this post enlightening.
                          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
                            My grandmother sewed our clothes, it can't be that hard. It's not worth that much.
                            That SC sure has a low opinion of granny!
                            Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

- "Do/Did you have to work today?" ......especially when it's on a certain weekday that we are closed, the library hours have been that way for several years, and it's not likely to change in the near future.

Comment

"Hot enough for you?"

Dude, we're in the desert. It gets hot here. Freakin' 100+ days per year we're over 100 degrees. I stay here voluntarily. I work outdoors, sorta. It's not funny.
                                Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                                OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                                she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                                Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Working...
                                X