Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also... bigger car == bigger tank. I can easily go a month on a single tank, but that tank is 35 gallons, or $110.

Driving an average of 25 miles/day, I spend about $30/week on gas at $3/gallon, and I drive a bigass Dodge van.
    I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
    less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

it costs me over $100 dollars to fill up my buick, you americans get cheap fuel, it's alot more expensive here :/
      Last edited by Hemily; 05-14-2007, 11:08 PM.
      Rawr

Comment

Quoth Hemily View Post
        you americans get cheap fuel, it's alot more expensive here :/
        But European cars, as a general rule, get much better milage then American cars. I heard a rumor that the gasoline suppliers have bribed car makers to make sure all (at least most) of the cars sold in America don't have the milage European cars get.
        I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Yeah, I've heard that too. Something like every now and then someone will come out with this new engine that will get 500 mpg or something, and then the oil company will buy the rights to it from him and they'll just keep it hidden. Or something.

Comment

Actually come to think of it - I've noticed a few people in this thread have made mention of how gas stations only make like half a cent on a gallon of gas...is that really true? I know at my store we buy it for about 35 cents less than we sell it for. Granted, some of that goes to maintenance and whatnot, but still. It can't be that bad.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              There's a gas station in town that has cheap gas, but it's part ethanol. My car's engine does not like ethanol.

There's another statioon being built in town that will sell E85 and some other kind of ethanol-based gas. Me, I wonder what's the point to using ethanol if most car engines are not built to burn it the right way.
              Actually many manufacturers are beginning to make cars that are compatible with this technology. In my fleet I have 2007 (year) Impalas, Monte Carlo's, Durangos, and Commanders that will run on it. If you ever see a car with a little "Flexfuel" badge on the rear, that is what it means.

Anyone who is interested in electric cars should watch the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car?". RIP, GM EV-1
              If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
              www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

My work's got a bunch of EV-1 motors we're selling.

Unfortunately, it's not quite a standard setup and we do not have nor do we know how to get the controllers.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Someone actually threw a rock at you??

I am so glad to have just gotten a car that gets at least 30mpg!

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                    But European cars, as a general rule, get much better milage then American cars. I heard a rumor that the gasoline suppliers have bribed car makers to make sure all (at least most) of the cars sold in America don't have the milage European cars get.
                    too bad i drive a American car from 1980 then... with a V8... and in the process of getting a bigger V8...
                    Rawr

Comment

Gas boycott?

Didn't do sheeit. It was quiet at work because it was Tuesday, cloudy, and oh yeah, my store's in the middle of fargin' nowhere, down the street from Other Bigger Newer Store that sucks up all the business. (No, I'm actually not bitter. Those newspapers ain't gonna read themselves...)

We were busier last week when gas was still under $3 a gallon, I think because of that little "Sword of Damocles" effect: get it now while it's still (relatively) cheap. That was my thinking, at least.

If I'd been in charge, on the 14th I'd have put a banner up above the door. "GAS BOYCOTT MAY 15th? BE READY! FILL UP NOW & SAVE 3 CENTS A GALLON!"

Ol' Red, my Oldsmobile Ciera that I've posted about either lovingly or furiously (depending on what's broken at the moment), does about 23-24 miles a gallon highway on 10% ethanol blend, and at 235k miles runs about as well as she ever will.

True story: before I picked up Ol' Red, I had a chance to buy a 1978 Ford pickup. This truck was a honey in every sense: mint condition, beautiful two-tone white and blue paint job, plush interior, gas-monster 390 V8. Wouldn't have even been $1000 to buy--the owner literally didn't know how much it was worth. But back then, when gas was $1.25 a gallon on a bad day, I passed because I knew it'd be expensive to feed it.

Scary how right I am sometimes...
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she ought fall down, let's you know she's hurting 'fore she keens...makes her a home."

Comment

Quoth DrFaroohk View Post
                        3) I don't know why the gas prices are so high, and quite frankly, I don't care. Leave.
                        It's the guys at Haliburton again. They need to disappear another dead hooker.

M
                        I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

So much for that gas boycott, lol..........gas is still nearly $3.30 a gallon here.

What a bunch of hype...
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Jack7957 View Post
                            Don't forget the gas boycot coming up on Tuesday. If it works, I'm going to propose a Steak boycot, cruise boycot, etc.
                            The problem with those gas boycotts is that the people they need to target aren't the ones getting the message.

They ship out millions of gallons of gas every week and collect the profits from the sale weekly as well. Not buying gas on Tuesday and instead getting it the Monday before or the Wednesday afterwards means that they are still getting their weekly pound of flesh from the American driver.

The only person it scares is the station owner who has a near coronary when his daily numbers take the hit.

Mongo
                            I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Yup, gas boycotts are about as useful as shaking your fist at the attendant while you drive by.

If you really want to make a statement, organize a boycott to avoid driving at all unless absolutely necessary for a week. Now, that they would feel.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The boycott did do one thing here - The gas stations raised prices from $3.29 to $3.49.

I can't get away from big vehicles either - I need something that can handle a family of 6 and groceries. Most fuel-efficient vehicle for me is an extended minivan.

Comment

Working...
                                X