X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Driving without license" can be punished with a year Jail here in Germany
    "Driving without insurance" can be punished with 6 Months here around

Letting someone use your car who doesn't have an Driving License might get you to jail to (So both might get in the comfort of barred windows )

It's really not that common here, but people ... you know ...
    Native German, so my writing might be a bit ... special. I try my best to get better

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
      I don't know about other states, but in PA, the only thing you need to register a car in your name is proof of insurance. There isn't even any minimum age. However, most insurance companies won't insure you without a valid license, and the few that do tend to be pricey.
      That's the case in most states, Mike. I just renewed my registration here in Illinois. They explicitly asked for the policy number, expiration date and carrier.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

In VA when renewing your registration they ask you to check one of two boxes on the form:

The first box says you are insured by a company licensed to do business in VA.

The second box says you are NOT insured, therefore you must include the Uninsured Drivers Fee (IIRC it's like $400/year).

They don't ask for proof, though. And I'm positive there's a LOT of drivers out there with no insurance who are not discovered until they have an accident and can't get away...

Comment

IIRC, here in North Carolina insurance is required for having a driver's license. Since I don't have license yet, what I'll have to do when I get ready to get one is to get the insurance first (already checked this w/Amber, our Good Hands agent) and she'll help walk me through the process so when I go to the DMV to take the driving test for my license, I'm all set.

Bad part of this is that here, the premiumums are OMFGEXPENSIVE for the first 3 years, but I've been told that it comes down slightly after the 1st year (as long as you maintain a clean driving record w/no accidents or tickets) until the 3rd year is up, at which time you go down to what is called "standard rate."

Also, if your vehicle is financed, one is required to carry not only liability but also collision coverage as well. IIRC the uninsured motorist coverage is also mandatory (costs Mom only a few extra dollars per month to have) but is good to have in case you are hit by someone w/no license and/or insurance.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
          X