Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always answer the phone with the company name. It's not a difficult name. The first word is the item which we sell primarily and the second word is "Distribution."

Some of the fun responses I get:

"Is this [correct company name]"
    To which I invariably repeat exactly what I said the first time. And the worst part is that when I pick up the phone I actually wait a second or two to make sure that the call is fully connected.

"Is this [wrong company name]"
    See the above response. If you obviously weren't listening to my greeting, I'm going to give it you again. Oh, and don't ask me for the other company's phone number. I don't know it, and I'm not going to look it up for you.

"I need to get some lab results"
    Ok, Sparky, if you had been paying attention to the greeting, you'd have heard that we are a distribution house and in no way affiliated with a medical facility, even if we do share initials with the Center for Disease Control.

It seems it's just too much to ask for people to actually listen when they call somebody.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

"Do y'all do birthday parties? Like, clowns and inflatable trmpolines and stuff?"
      Umm, we're a farking grocery store.
      "several million years for a monkey to turn into a man. oh wait thats right. monkeys dont live several million years."
      -FSTDT

Comment

How about:

"Hey can I just take this? I'll come back and pay for it in a few days, is that ok?"
        Re: Quiche.
        Pie is manly.
        Eggs, meat, and cheese are manly.
        Therefore, making an egg, meat, and cheese pie must be very manly.
        So sayeth Spiffy McMoron!

Comment

We get asked "what kind of pizza do you make?"
          Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

"Where is the prilosec/antacid/anything for the stomach? "
            Right next to the door as you walk in the door.

"How much does this cost?"
            I actually answered this one once with, "I am not a computer, I do not memorize all the prices in the store."

"Is the pharmacy closed?"
            The gates are down and it is locked, what do you think?
            I have PMS and a black belt. Any questions?

This random moment is brought to you by the letters A D and D.

Comment

You mean my phone has to be on to make/receive calls?

How much are ya'lls $10 prepaid cards?

and my presonal favorite statment: It's not getting a dial tone (said of a cellular phone)

Comment

Quoth bannedanna View Post
                THat's not really all that dumb of a question. There are plenty of OTC medicines that can be dangerous if taken together, especially over the long term. It always makes sense to be over-cautious about drug interactions. I usually use Google before asking someone at the drugstore though.
                Certainly, but a cough drop that is just pectin and menthol? There's being cautious, and then there's just being silly.

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
                  You mean my phone has to be on to make/receive calls?

How much are ya'lls $10 prepaid cards?
                  To be fair some places do charge quite a hefty amount to buy those 10 dollar prepaid cards or they have a high sales tax rate in the store's area. So it's not a dumb question at all. Also some stores try to rip off the people buying those cards especially if they think the person is someone who cannot afford to buy a phone but needs the cards.

As for the phone being off you would be shocked how many people do not seem to comprehend that a piece of tech that requires batteries or an outlet needs to be on to work with all it's functions.

Comment

The following gems always are asked on my shift:

"What time do you guys open in the morning?"
                    (Can't you read the GIANT glowing sign outide the Resturant that reads: OPEN 24 hrs!?)

"Do you serve breakfast all day?"
                    (no...we just have that on the front of the menu for laughs)

"Where's your specials?"
                    (they're in your menu...first page...it reads SPECIALS FOR MAY)

"Do you have any strawberry pies left?"
                    (there's again...a giant sign on the pie case that says: STRAWBERRY PIES SOLD OUT FOR THE NIGHT...SORRY)
                    check out my new blog!!!!

http://pitofdespairblog.blogspot.com/

feel free to comment/send me the links to your blog!

Comment

Quoth BusyBee View Post
                      How about:

"Hey can I just take this? I'll come back and pay for it in a few days, is that ok?"
                      Would you get fired if you said "Yes there is a legal way to do that, it's called a credit card or plastic if you want to use the old name."

Comment

I got these within my first 2 days of working.

#1: "Do you have any Havianas here?"
                        Me: Ummm... I don't think we do.
                        #1: "Do you know of any stores in the mall that sell Havianas?"
                        Me: I'm sorry, I'm not aware of any stores that do.

bear in mind I have NO idea what a Haviana is, but all I know is that this particular trendy mall fashion store doesn't sell 'em.

#2: "Excuse me, but do you have any dark jeans without the fade on them?"
                        (Both of us are standing infront of a wall of jeans... all of which -even the dark ones- have the fade on them)
                        Me: I'm sorry ma'am, but we dont'.

Comment

Quoth Killer Bees View Post
                          I walk around in the summertime saying HOW ABOUT THIS HEAT?
                          I'm an asshole - holey holey hole.......
                          I love that song!

I've mentioned this story a few times, but I'll tell it again.

Almost two years ago, I started working at the 'Lounge. The subdivision up the hill behind us is notorious for it's power outages.

One fine morning, we were in full busy mode. All the lights (inside and outside) were on. Pumps were all in use. Both registers open. Radio blaring.

In the middle of all this, a man comes in and asks, "Is your electricity out?"

Last edited by Spiffy McMoron; 05-15-2007, 05:57 PM.
                          I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

As I'm working outside Hechinger's (home-improvement, lumberyard-type place) a kid actually asked me if we had Nintendos in stock. Keep in mind that about a dozen customers pushing carts with lumber, cement, etc. were coming out as he's asking me. I was so tempted to tell him they were near the "lawn and garden" area
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
                              Person handed me a prescription. For EYEGLASSES. "Uhhh....I think you need to take that to a Lenscrafters or something like that."
                              Of course, they give me stinky poop eye look because I can't fill it. Hello, we dispense DRUGS, not eyeglasses! Do you see an optical shop back here? No? It's because we are chock full o' DRUGS. Hence, the reason that we are a DRUGSTORE.
                              I think that's exactly the kind of person that you should be giving a lot of drugs to!
                              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

I'm a fan of getting asked " What new games do you have?"

Well, I'm not, really, but I get asked that a lot. So the conversation goes like this (at least, it did last night):

<ring>
                                <ring>
                                Amazing Employee: [Blah blah blah], This is Hobgoblin, How can I help you?
                                Idiot: Um, yeah, what new games do you got?
                                Amazing Employee: I'm sorry? New games? A lot of them. Care to be more specific?
                                Idiot: Oh, yeah, on the 360.
                                AE: Well, we have a new copy of pretty much every game made on the 360.
                                Idiot: Well, can you name some titles?
                                AE: Yes, but it's much easier if you come into the store. Then you can actually try them out here and decide if you like it based on the game instead of what someone who's just trying to make a sale tells you. Trust the game, not what the dude behind the counter says.
                                Idiot: Well, I don't have time to come in. Besides, I'm closer to [other location].
                                AE: Then go there. They will help you out. I don't have time to help you window shop over the phone. Customers are waiting and they shouldn't have to wait this long (said whether customers are there or not - I always have stuff to do/clean).
                                Idiot: Oh, my bad.
                                <click>

Sometimes though, it goes much better:

Customer: What new games do you have?
                                AE: All of them.
                                Customer: Um, that was a dumb question, wasn't it. What came out this week?
                                AE: Yeah, it was, but I get it a lot. This week [...]

And for a side rant, what's with people who shop at other locations calling us about what we have in stock? When they show up at the other location, those guys (who I like) get yelled at for not having that game. Well for goodness sakes retard, look at the address on the store you just called. If it isn't the same street (all our stores are on major streets that pretty much everyone in St Louis know) than don't call us. [Blank] and [blank] locations won't have the same stuff, cause we all sell things differently and have different games sitting on the shelves.

Comment

Working...
                                X