This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah we're out, because Halloween...

Okay, so I haven't been at the fabric counter very much, so my stories aren't nearly as fun/horrifying. Oh well, I still got some.

Yes, we're out of the cool Halloween masks. Yes. As far as I know, we've been sold out since Friday because I watched that box get sold. The stocker couldn't even get them on the pegs because people were buying them so fast. They were on a good sale, and some were pretty neat. They're GONE. Also, today is Halloween. Does that mean anything to you?

Yes, this is all the face paint we have. Yup, only two sets of basic colors. Again, it is Halloween today. (those sold out before noon, now we are officially out of all face paint.)

I'm sorry you need elbow length white gloves for your costume. As you can see, we only have black for adults. Yes, we have white for children. No, I don't know why. No... I don't have time to walk with you up and down each aisle, to make sure none got missed.

And a general rant. Seriously people, get to the freaking point. Can you see it's a madhouse in here? Well, you obviously don't care, and you can't spit out your question. This is as close to a direct quote as I can remember:

SC: So I'm trying to finish my costume. It's hard to explain, but I need something to attach so that it has stability. Not too much, and maybe to put on the inside? And it needs to be like... Stretchy?

I couldn't figure out what she wanted, the costume was some sort of bird, and she didn't want interfacing, or a knit fabric. Out of desperation I showed her elastic, (stretchy) but she got distracted by her phone and I escaped. I actually felt a little bad about how I was with a couple people, I was clearly in a hurry with them, and just showed them the product and took off without asking if they needed anything else. Anyway, not everyone got the memo that today is Halloween, and so I also fielded a couple people who just wanted hand holding.

SC: Oh hi. I'm trying to figure out what would go best for the background of this quilt? Here's the instructions, but instead of blue here I'm doing white, and instead of this block, I'm cutting the whole thing on the diagonal and so actually I might also need some binding. What do you think?

I think I'd like some spiced rum, thanks very much.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
    ...I think I'd like some spiced rum, thanks very much.
    Spice that rum with Peace Or Prozac, please.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Some of those masks are REALLY nice! They also look like the sort of thing you would have wanted to buy the first time you saw them instead of waiting until Halloween.

You have reinforced my decision to not go decoration shopping for our office holiday party over the weekend. Many of the things on my list are probably pretty popular for Halloween.

I know that every store is different, but can you give a guess as to when our branch of your store might get another truck? I need 36 feet of frilly wire stiffened gold lace ribbon. Would I do better by just ordering it online? I still have a few weeks.

My Halloween tradition is to buy candy when its on sale, then sample it and then start worrying that I don't have enough candy left for the monsters and try to buy some on Halloween day. This is so stupid on every level, but I have to do it every year.

reasons its stupid: 1 EVERYONE is buying candy today. The shelves are empty and there is no more in the magic back room. Anybody with the brains God gave a goose would know to stay away from the candy aisles today, but not me

Reason the second. We live in a very rural area. There are no street lights and the homes are spread out. I'll get to see the neighborhood monsters and then they will all go to the community center for tailgate trick or treating.

Comment

My sympathies go out the window for anyone coming in late on a holiday looking for something specific (fake blood, yellow face paint). If I found that I suddenly had plans late on Halloween I'd grab whatever I could and make do. We had some fancy masks left over, also some creepy ones.

We had people coming in buying tons of candy for "round 2" of trick-or-treaters. Good luck with that folks. Had one couple come in and spend nearly $200 on candy. At least it's less stuff for us to clearance.
        I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Quoth Trixie View Post
          Had one couple come in and spend nearly $200 on candy. At least it's less stuff for us to clearance.
          The local bulk place always gets holiday-themed Smarties. There are never any leftovers to go on clearance after the holiday, although the main bin of Smarties always has a higher than normal proportion of pink and red after Valentine's day, green after St. Patrick's day, pastel colours after Easter, orange and brown after Halloween, and red, green, and white after Christmas.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Trixie View Post
            (fake blood, yellow face paint)
            Fake blood's easy. Red food coloring + corn syrup.

Can't help on the yellow face paint, though. It does remind me of this time my friend Tom was going to record a vlog and wanted to do a Ledger Joker parody gag. Lacking any facepaint, we made do by powdering his face with flour and painting "lipstick" on with ketchup. It worked for the gag we wanted to film.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Trixie View Post
              My sympathies go out the window for anyone coming in late on a holiday looking for something specific (fake blood, yellow face paint).
              My sympathies go out the window for anyone who waits until the last second to get anything - be it wedding dress, Halloween costume, Mother's Day flowers, etc. If (or more likely when) the latecomer goes ballistic when they can't get it NAO then I lose all patience and out the door you go. It's not MY fault you screwed around until literally the last second and no, I can't pull the item out of my ass for you!

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                My sympathies go out the window for anyone who waits until the last second to get anything - be it wedding dress, Halloween costume, Mother's Day flowers, etc. If (or more likely when) the latecomer goes ballistic when they can't get it NAO then I lose all patience and out the door you go. It's not MY fault you screwed around until literally the last second and no, I can't pull the item out of my ass for you!
                I dunno, I may sympathize if circumstances forced them into getting things at the last minute (not everyone is necessarily a procrastinator), but agreed-- if they get belligerent about it, then sympathies get abandoned.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                  ... if circumstances forced them into getting things at the last minute ...
                  We were going to visit the pararents, but Uncle Melbert started puking frogs...

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    The local bulk place always gets holiday-themed Smarties. There are never any leftovers to go on clearance after the holiday, although the main bin of Smarties always has a higher than normal proportion of pink and red after Valentine's day, green after St. Patrick's day, pastel colours after Easter, orange and brown after Halloween, and red, green, and white after Christmas.
                    This....is a thing? I have never in my entire life seen holiday-theme smarties! M&M's, yes.

Now I want some Halloween Smarties!!
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                      It's not MY fault you screwed around until literally the last second and no, I can't pull the item out of my ass for you!
                      If the item they wanted was a turd, I'm sure you could.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      This....is a thing? I have never in my entire life seen holiday-theme smarties! M&M's, yes.

Now I want some Halloween Smarties!!
                      Noticed that you're in the U.S. - we may have a namespace collision. In Canada, Smarties are like plain M&Ms, except they're made in a peanut-free facility. In the U.S., I've heard that Smarties are slightly-effervescent pressed sugar roughly 3/8" diameter and 1/8" thick, packed in a cellophane roll about an inch and a half long (what we call "rockets").
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                        I feel the same way, as you also see that with Christmas items in December where the metal ornament hooks are sold out before the 20th, and there are no more shipments for the rest of the season. That's when I saw procrastinators freaking out the most, was over those little hooks. Once the last shipment is sold out, it's not MY fault you waited until the last minute to decide to buy decorations.

Comment

Quoth ADoyle View Post
                          I feel the same way, as you also see that with Christmas items in December where the metal ornament hooks are sold out before the 20th, and there are no more shipments for the rest of the season. That's when I saw procrastinators freaking out the most, was over those little hooks. Once the last shipment is sold out, it's not MY fault you waited until the last minute to decide to buy decorations.
                          I just had a lady ask me for ornament hooks today! When we found them, we only had silver and green, but she needed gold. She was nice about it, though. People were asking for Christmas things early this year! Ready made stuff, not crafting materials. By early, I mean people were asking for ornaments and snow globes in August. Yet at the same time some were asking these items, other people were taken aback that we had Halloween stuff.

RE: Last minute wedding supplies. No pity here. Nope. I know, there could be circumstances, but all the things that we sell at a fabric and craft store should be purchase EARLY. Oh, you need 200 yards of lavender chiffon, we only have 10 yards, and you need it tomorrow? TOO BAD. This was something which could have been done weeks or even months ago. It's not like the day of the wedding the bakery caught on fire and your cake was destroyed. That would be a circumstance which I could feel bad about. No, you just woke up today and decided to drape the ceiling with fabric and now I have to deal with the fallout.
                          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                            ... I have to deal with the foolout.
                            Fixed that for you.

Comment

We had one or two like this last night (Halloween).

Person calls up during our dinner rush (yes we did get hit harder than usual for a Monday). wants like 7 or 8 pizzas NOW. BUT I HAVNA A PARTAAAAA.....Sorry but we will get that to you as soon as we can. SORRY but 30 minute delivery time is NOT going to happen at this time.

To counter point this:
                              We had a LARGE order Sat. night total 80 or 90 pizzas between 2 stores. Some out of state college group literally took up one of the hotels in our area. THEY, however, called up a week prior and set things up with us and we farmed out 1/3 of the order to a sister store
                              Last edited by Racket_Man; 11-02-2016, 04:16 AM.
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                              X