This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did I just say?

BG: Our automated ticket machines don't take the smallest denominations of coinage, because it adds exponentially to the mechanical bits needed to sort them and because all our prices are rounded to end with either 5 or 0. This is very rarely a problem, usually it comes down to someone having to couch-dive to get the change necessary to buy their ticket, in which case we can take them at the counter - but we can only accept small amounts (company guidance is 20p per transaction but we can be a bit flexible), as the coins are very heavy compared to their value, and part of our security company's charge is related to the weight of the pickup. We literally have no use for them, I can sometimes go weeks without having to hand out anything smaller than a 10p. /BG

Just had a customer come to the counter & fair's fair, they opened by saying they knew they couldn't use the machine due to having some copper coins; could I take them at the counter? "Sure, so long as it's not a ridiculous amount," was my verbatim reply.

As they dug out their second bag of coins, I looked them dead in the eye & said "that is a 'ridiculous amount'." Customer was last seen starting a tour of the local banks...
    Last edited by RealUnimportant; 11-16-2016, 03:24 PM.
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
    "Sure, so long as it's not a ridiculous amount," was my verbatim reply.
    We have this same issue with people wanting various things at the cutting counter. We can help within reason. So asking "hey, two yards is a good size for a fleece blanket, right?" is within reason. On the other hand, "I need enough to make a twin sized quilt, how much do I need of each fabric?" *points at a cart filled with quilting cotton* Is not reasonable. Asking me to cut a yard and another yard on a calm day is stupid, but reasonable. Asking me to cut 25 pieces at 2/3 yard on Black Friday is unreasonable.

Since the request is so unreasonable, trying to explain why you can't help them is completely futile. They will be pissed no matter how you explain because you aren't doing exactly what they want, they exist in their own bubble of self importance.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
    X