This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Becks View Post
    Where do you work that you can't order more pies? I've worked at places that get deliveries every or every other day, and you can special order things like that.
    We can order them, as we get trucks in for the bakery three times a week, but our DC is apparently out of pies, our DM/system won't let anyone order them, would cause a disturbance in the force -- and so on. Those are just a couple of answers I've been given over the last few days, so my answer is that since my direct manager is prone to and already freaking out, no one wants to freak her out more.

It"s much easier to deal with upset customers then it is to deal with her.
    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
      I know that there's going to be some upset customers in the next few days. Because of a couple of customers that have ordered 20+ pies, we are now going to run out of all but two by tomorrow afternoon. Unfortunately we won't be getting anything else in until next week as our manager ordered enough pies to get us through until the first week in December. But because a few idiots decided to order a shit ton of pies for today and tomorrow, no one else will be able to get any in.

And when I call these customers idiots, I mean they are the run of the mill idiots -- if they were ordering for, say, a shelter or a food bank that's one thing. Only one is for a shelter, the other five or six? Yea, they've collectively ruined Thanksgiving as we can not take orders for any pies besides Pecan.
      A local ethnic supermarket near me, which has a fab bakery, had a sign on their door saying they were going to be out of tres leches cake and telling people to stop by the bakery for an easy-to-make recipe and/or list of places that might have it (you probably couldn't get away with the latter due to corporate, but I thought it was a nice touch. They actually had Publix on the list, which is something like David helping Goliath across the street.)

As far as the people who ordered up all the pies ... I wouldn't have a problem with it. You need the pies you need*; there's not much point in driving around collecting up pies from here and there if you can get them all from one place.

*I would actually even say this about people who aren't planning to eat all those pies on Thursday... that same bakery I referenced above has pumpkin quesitos right now, and I'm thinking about stopping by tonight, buying two dozen and wrapping half of them up tight to freeze. (We have quesitos on Christmas morning.)

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Nutcase. Who centers an entire meal around PIE?
        Turkey, casseroles, even stuffing (never met a carb I didn't like) are all fine, but actually for me is really is about the pie. The rest is just being polite until we get to that part.

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
          ... is really about the pie...
          ... with snake-like eye, he shouted PIE! and he struck 'im on the head with the tray! ...
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

MoonCat -- I agree entirely!

notalwaysright -- I'm the opposite, as I can't eat homemade pie without wondering how much grease was used to make it.

No, it wasn't. Not even the same area/chain.
            Grease? Pie isn't made with grease. There's shortening or lard used in the pastry to make it flakey and maybe a pat of butter in fruit fillings. Pies in general are not 'greasy'.
            Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Got my first ruined Thanksgiving today, because we towed someone out of an "empty" lot (except for the 5 other cars in it) for "no reason" (except the lack of a parking permit)

Just wait until the ruined Christmases start to pile up.
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
                Grease? Pie isn't made with grease. There's shortening or lard used in the pastry to make it flakey and maybe a pat of butter in fruit fillings. Pies in general are not 'greasy'.
                Last homemade I ate was about two or three years ago, it tasted like someone had dunked it in some kind of grease ten or twenty times -- looked like it, too. Might have been the butter, though. I can't look at any pies now without wondering if its edible or now.
                Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Arga -- Sounds like you got some stories to tell...Hmmmmm?

AK - Dear Lord. You have been the victim of some incredibly bad pie-making O_O
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It"s much easier to deal with upset customers then it is to deal with her.
                    That's just sad.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      ... with snake-like eye, he shouted PIE! and he struck 'im on the head with the tray! ...
                      ... and a stale pork pie caught him in the eye..... and Ernie bit the dust ...
                      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
                        I do ancient, medieval, renaissance and medievaql Persian cooking as a hobby, and believe me there are forms of pies that use 'grease' in the filling. Let me 'splain, nope - too long so let me sum up...

I make old school mincemeat where it actually IS meat, not chopped fruits and nuts ... there is suet [fat from around the kidneys processed so that it is pure fat with no connective tissues] <Jas Townsend cooking blog has video and amazingly good explanations about suet.> as well as finely diced meat [pork, beef, bambi and lamb have been known to show p as mincemeat pies in my house over the past 35 years] fruits, nuts and spices. <sits looking as about 4 pounds of Atora brand processed suet imported from London...as well as the #10 can of Crisco all veggie shortening>

In addition to <<<< that lovely nonveggie mincemeat, there can be a fair amount of fat in that is STILL considered a dessert pie custard type pies [ever had pumpkin pie made from scratch with half and half instead of the nasty arsed condensed or sweetened condensed milk, and whole eggs .... mjam!]

And on top of the dessert pies, there are savory pies that have a moderate amount of fat in them *cough* quiche *cough*, pies of paris, and even the ever popular brie en croute is a pie.

Damn, now I am hungry again. Off to start cooking, we are doing Jas Townsend's 17th Century Thanksgiving with a couple additions this year for the hell of it.

Turkey - roast unstuffed as normal

Bread Pudding in place of regular stuffing:
                        1 pound Wheat Breadcrumb
                        3 Eggs well beaten
                        3 ounces Suet
                        Thyme
                        Marjoram
                        Salt
                        Pepper
                        Sage
                        ½ cup Wine
                        Combine all ingredients, add spices to taste, and mix thoroughly. Lightly pack in baking pot that has been well buttered. Bake with lid on for about 75-90 minutes at 350 degrees.

Cranberry Sauce and Cranberry Pie:
                        2 pounds Cranberries
                        Sugar
                        1 Paste or Pie Crust
                        Add just enough water to cranberries in cooking pot to cover and boil about 15 minutes until skins break open. Mash up cranberries to desired consistency (Be aware that cranberries stain everything). Strain in jelly bag. Add about the same amount of sugar as you have cranberry sauce to the cranberries and simmer another 10-15 minutes.
                        Pour half of cranberries into well buttered tart tin with paste, skimming off any foamy skin on top, and bake at 375 for about 25 minutes. Pour other half into bowl and allow to cool.

A Ragout of French Beans
                        – 1 to 1-1/2 lb. fresh Green Beans, with ends trimmed and cut into thirds
                        – Enough Fat with which to fry (The amount will vary depending on the size of your pan. You’ll want about a half-inch.) Oil, suet, or lard will do. We used lard in our recipe.
                        – 2 oz. (half stick) Butter, rolled in flour
                        – 2 T Water
                        – 1 to 2 T Mushroom Ketchup. (Mushroom ketchup tends to be very salty, therefore we eliminated the extra salt altogether.)
                        – 2 to 4 T White Wine of Sherry
                        – 1 medium Onion, peeled and stuck with six whole cloves
                        – 1/4 t Nutmeg, grated
                        – 1/8 t Mace, grated
                        – 1/8 t Black Pepper, ground
                        Heat your fat to about 300-degrees (F) and carefully add your beans. we skipped the soak that was prescribed in the original recipe. If you opt to do this, be sure to dry your beans completely before adding them to hot fat. Fry the beans until they begin to turn a light brown. Remove the beans with a slotted spoon and drain them. Set them aside and allow your hot fat to cool before pouring it off your pan. Once your frying fat has been poured off, add the butter dredged in flour to your pan and stir until the butter is sizzling. The original recipe suggested adding the water to the pan first, however, we found that this resulted in excessive splattering. Once the butter is melted and the flour has begun to turn to a light brown, add the water, mushroom ketchup, and wine, along with the spices and the onion. Stir until the liquid has reduced to about half its original volume. Remove the onion, return the beans, and stir them for a minute or two to reheat. Dish the beans and serve them up!
                        By the way, Mr. Farley offers no instructions on what to do with the onion other than to remove it before serving. This was a fairly common method of seasoning in that day. Use it as a garnish, if you wish, or serve it up along side the beans. You’re on your own with that one.

Sweet Potato Pudding:
                        1 ½ pounds Sweet Potatoes (Can substitute Winter Squash, Crookneck Squash, Pumpkin, or any Potatoes)
                        3 Large Apples
                        3 ½ tablespoons Breadcrumbs
                        1 tablespoon flour
                        1 cup Cream
                        1 tablespoon Wine
                        3 Eggs well beaten
                        ¼ cup Sugar
                        1 tablespoon Nutmeg
                        Pinch of Salt
                        ¼ cup Dried Black Currants (Can substitute with Zante Currants or Whortleberries)

Bake or boil sweet potatoes until soft. Pear, core and chop apples, then boil until soft. Mash together sweet potatoes and apples until fairly smooth. Mix in breadcrumbs, flour, cream, wine, and eggs. Add sugar and spices and mix well. Gently mix in currants. Place inside of cook pot without the lid. Bake at 325 degrees for about 75-90 minutes.

Indian Pudding:
                        3 cups Milk
                        1 cup Cornmeal
                        1 egg well beaten
                        2 ounces Butter
                        1 teaspoon Salt
                        1 teaspoon Ginger
                        1 teaspoon Nutmeg
                        ¼ cup Molasses

Bring milk to a gentle simmer on fairly low heat constantly stirring so milk does not burn on the bottom. Once simmering, add cornmeal and continue stirring and cooking until it thickens. Remove from heat and allow to cool just enough that it does not cook the egg when added. When cooled enough, add egg, butter, spices, and molasses and stir until well mixed and the butter is melted. Pour into well buttered mold and bake at 325 degrees for about an hour and a half.

Pumpkin Pie:
                        1 pint Pumpkin
                        1 quart Milk
                        4 Eggs well beaten
                        ½ cup Molasses
                        1 teaspoon Ginger
                        1 teaspoon Allspice
                        2 Pie Crusts
                        Cut pumpkin in half, gut and bake upside down at 350 degrees for about an hour to soften. Peal and mash then add milk and mix. Next, add eggs, and molasses. Finally, mix in spices and pour into pie crust. Bake in oven at 325 for 75 minutes. Allow to cool before eating.

Add roasted potatoes [olive oil, lemon juice, italian herbs, black pepper]
                        Add Rum Hard Sauce for the pies [rum, 10x sugar, butter]
                        Add Baked Apples the way Mom did them
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post

By the way, Mr. Farley offers no instructions on what to do with the onion other than to remove it before serving.
                          Rhaphanidosis?

¼ cup Dried Black Currants (Can substitute with Zante Currants or Whortleberries)
                          Do not under ANY circumstances substitute with snozzberries
                          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

– 1/8 t Mace, grated
                            Just to remind everyone, there are 3 kinds of Mace. I believe this recipe refers to the one which comes from the same plant as nutmeg and allspice. DO NOT substitute either the spray teargas, or the medieval bludgeoning weapon.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

AD - Before I even got to the second line, I knew a Jas. Townsend reference was gonna be coming I love his Youtube channel; I just haven't been brave enough to try and cooking any of that stuff.

Just FYI -- They have 2017 recipe calendars on their catalog site for a buck each, including shipping, while they last!
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                                Nutcase. Who centers an entire meal around PIE?

Unless it's pizza pie, but hey...
                                That's...a disturbingly intriguing idea.

*walks away muttering "Seasoned, slow-cooked turkey pizza with dried cranberries, gravy, summer squash and diced potatoes on a cornbread-stuffing crust..."*

(Maybe for the leftovers.)

Comment

Working...
                                X