This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Cia View Post
    Instead of tossing the case out a lot of the time the case is just moved to the next county.
    Yeah, I've never heard of a case being completely tossed out based on pre-trial publicity, and we've all seen HUGELY high-profile cases go to trial. It's a misconception that someone is entitled to a jury that's never heard of their case. The potential jurors just have to affirm, convincingly, that they haven't made up their mind based on pre-trial publicity, to the point where they cannot fairly judge the case.

I covered a case that had national notoriety once (it was another animal case, in fact). Court TV did gavel-to-gavel, CNN and Fox reporters checked in. Everyone assumed it'd have to be venued at least a county away, but they picked a local jury the first day with relative ease.

That said, in this situation I'd expect this: (rich client+good lawyer) x bad charges = plea deal. A little pre-trial publicity might polish up the prosecutor's spine -- probably still a plea-deal situation, but not quite so generous an offer.

Granted, if a prosecutor decides not to cooperate with a journalist, they can make it tough to substantiate a story enough to print it. But this is one case where I think there would be media interest given the facts.

Comment

• I can't quote the law here in Canada, but I do know that, back when I was a reporter, we did have to take quite a bit of care about what we wrote pre-trial.

For example, IIRC we could not cite somebody's prior record, regardless of how extensive it was, we had to be careful ab out what we released in terms of evidence (although the police were usually WAY ahead of us on that, being extremely careful in terms of what they gave us) and so on.

I tried Googling it but couldn't find anything specific enough. I do remember, though, we once had a cross-border incident -- a woman from our town was visiting relatives in the U.S., was shot and gravely wounded by a robber, and we spoke to the police there, who told us damn near everything about the suspect's past, up to and including what he'd had for breakfast that morning. The editor got off the phone laughing and said if the crime had happened in Canada, we'd have gotten almost none of that.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• @ the owner of the property has asked not to have the case publiclized if it doesn't help the case at all because of fears that the SC family or friends might decide on retribution. Nobody wants any more animals hurt or damage to property (which could result in injury anyway or escaped horses) The people would still get charged if they sought retribution but it would be after the damage has been done. They also don't want ppl coming up to 'see how the foals are doing' or asking questions of the people who work/live there and distracting them. (Not a good thing to be distracted around horses. Not to mention ppl just don't work efficiently if they're also fielding questions). It's happened before when the owners took on a high profile case of an abused horse that was publicized. We get that they're there asking questions because their concerned and all but considering that between the adults who read the paper/watch the news and the school nearby (most of the students having already seen mare and foals and are already asking questions.) the last thing anyone wants is a mob. There will likely be a small update in the paper with a conclusion to the trial but without names or locations. Sadly I'm well known among the horse ppl here for dealing with the so called 'hopeless cases' so I doubt it'll take much for people to link things together. Especially considering how rare twins are. I was chatting about it all throughout the pregnancy so...
        "It's a joke not a dick. No need to take it so hard."

“Here’s $10, go to Walmart and buy a houseplant. Carry it around to make up for all of that oxygen you waste.”

Comment

• Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
          They also don't want ppl coming up to 'see how the foals are doing' or asking questions of the people who work/live there and distracting them. (Not a good thing to be distracted around horses. Not to mention ppl just don't work efficiently if they're also fielding questions). It's happened before when the owners took on a high profile case of an abused horse that was publicized. We get that they're there asking questions because their concerned and all but considering that between the adults who read the paper/watch the news and the school nearby (most of the students having already seen mare and foals and are already asking questions.) the last thing anyone wants is a mob.
          This is very smart. People get fuzzy headed (no pun intended) when animals are involved and they often have a hard time realizing their "help" isn't helpful at all.

If I were a reporter in your town I'd want this story; it's a good one that could go national. But for your own interests? Yep, keep it quiet. (However, it's never a bad idea to let the prosecutor know you might be inclined to go public if he lets Sister Horsethief off with a slap on the wrist.)

And Pixelated, we hosted some Canadian reporters for a month-long exchange program once and they were astounded at the amount of information that was just provided as a matter of routine, and how our "doctrine of prior restraint" means nobody can tell us what we can and cannot publish. (There are a few laws that remain in place, like prohibitions against printing the names of victims of rape and child abuse, but those laws crumble like wet sand whenever they are challenged. The ones that are still in place are there because nobody saw a need to take them down.)
          Last edited by wordgirl; 04-27-2017, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• Quoth wordgirl View Post
            This is very smart. People get fuzzy headed (no pun intended) when animals are involved and they often have a hard time realizing their "help" isn't helpful at all.

If I were a reporter in your town I'd want this story; it's a good one that could go national. But for your own interests? Yep, keep it quiet. (However, it's never a bad idea to let the prosecutor know you might be inclined to go public if he lets Sister Horsethief off with a slap on the wrist.)
            Sometimes it's amazing what just the threat of publicity can do ...

Quoth wordgirl View Post
            And Pixelated, we hosted some Canadian reporters for a month-long exchange program once and they were astounded at the amount of information that was just provided as a matter of routine, and how our "doctrine of prior restraint" means nobody can tell us what we can and cannot publish. (There are a few laws that remain in place, like prohibitions against printing the names of victims of rape and child abuse, but those laws crumble like wet sand whenever they are challenged. The ones that are still in place are there because nobody saw a need to take them down.)
            Thank you for backing me up on that, LOL. It's been many years and I couldn't be sure I was remembering accurately.
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• With respect to Canadian reporting, I remember a case a few years ago in my neck of the woods.

A woman disappeared in a nearby city, so her name was plastered all over the place as a Missing Persons Please Find Me story.

Luckily she was found, but unluckily, the case turned into a kidnapping/rape case. Pretty much the minute the story became crime-related, her name disappeared from the press as if it had never been mentioned. I think even the online stories were even retconned to remove her name.

I remember at the time being amazed and a bit puzzled by the fast change in story and reporting, but now it makes more sense.

The morning news was going on about "The family of Jane Doe is looking for the public's help in finding her. She went missing on Friday while in the City-area, etc...."

Then the evening news was about. "The victim was the subject of a Missing Persons search over the past weekend and was discovered in a basement apartment owned by Suspect...." with no mention of her name at all.

Comment

• YES!! That's exactly how it works!

And for those of you sitting there going -- join the club.

Even as a (former) journalist in Canada, this makes zero sense. I understand the idea behind keeping sex assault victims' names out of the media whenever possible ... but the public's memory isn't that short. Not to mention with all the descriptors in the paragraph printed after this victim was found ... they've all but identified her anyway.
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Oh, AkaiKitsune, I'm so sorry you lost your mare.

Don't forget to add the cost (including your time) of raising the foals to the reparations list.

I wish Scotty could beam me to your barn so I could exercise my pro grooming skills for you. There is nothing like a good grooming to settle you and them down. In my case, grooming a horse helps to release the tears. (Leaning my head against their neck, and sniffing up that good horse smell, and remembering...)

In Scotty's absence, I'm beaming the love of one dedicated horse person for another your way, and also to the foals. Plus a good skritchin' to the stallion. He sounds like a sweetheart.
                  I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
                  - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

• Been away for a while and just read the entire thread. When everything gets wrapped up, I think this should go into War Stories.

The level of that woman's entitlement is just astonishing; she's like the daughter of Dudley Dursley and Verruca Salt! How anyone could think that kind of behavior is okay is beyond me. I hope justice is well and truly served, and she spends a long time at the Greybar Hotel thinking over what she did.

That poor mare. Rescued from one hellish situation and ended by another. No creature deserves that kind of treatment. You did the best you could for her, gave her kindness and gentleness. I hope she's at peace now.

How are the foals doing now? Poor things to lose their mother so early, but they're in good hands with you and the others.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

• One of the foals has developed respiratory issues but the vets doing testing. He thinks it may have a weakened immune system which is not uncommon with twins to begin with and given the mares state in the early stages of pregnancy it wasn't unexpected to find issues. It's just that he just got over a cold and already has another so soon. He was the smaller of the two so if anything is to go wrong it'll likely be with him. The other is as healthy as a horse. There's stuff to put in the milk bottle which is supposed to help.

“Here’s $10, go to Walmart and buy a houseplant. Carry it around to make up for all of that oxygen you waste.”

Comment

• Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
                        The other is as healthy as a horse.
                        I saw what you did there ...
                        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• For anyone still following this, the bitch got 40yrs in jail. I guess she had some kind of history with this shit or we got a sympathetic judge. Possibly both. But I know several of the more serious charges are being served one after another instead of at the same time. Not quite sure how that works and I don't care to figure it out but she's going to be in there for a while. I also got a good amount of money out of it. Hello to not having to pay monthly for car payments this year. At least when it gets into my account anyway. Thankfully the news vultures haven't got a hold of the story. (They can be pretty brutal here and most don't understand what privacy is at all here). Their still quarantined at the moment due to their health previous and to keep people from playing poke and prod. My stallion is currently overseas with a friend of mine and former riding instructor to get show experience. Also because with him riding then my horse can go in bigger/more advanced shows. I've known him years and know he'll treat my baby properly. That's the one thing thing I like about horses is that no matter how many years you work with them you can always learn something new. There's no limit to reach beyond your determination and your horses physical capacity. Well it's certainly a harsh sport on the human's body it's still rewarding.

Comment

• Fantastic outcome on the bitch's sentence, although I'm so, so sorry it came with the loss of your mare.

Comment

• Psycho bitch got what she deserved! Nice to know she's not going to be able to harm anyone else for a good long time.
                              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• While not the best possible outcome, as there is currently no way to revive the dead i think this is about as good as it gets. She's gonna have a looong time to think about what she did to fuck up so many people's - no, so many creatures' lives...
                                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Working...
                                X