Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have said that's as dumb as saying 'Canada is in North America so you have to take American money...' but then realized the sort of SCs we have who would actually believe that...
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
      I would have said that's as dumb as saying 'Canada is in North America so you have to take American money...' but then realized the sort of SCs we have who would actually believe that...

I thought I had heard that some Canadian businesses - mostly right across the border but perhaps in other places as well - also took American money? I could be mistaken.

I wonder if the same goes for some places in England, especially in larger cities like London. Is it possible some businesses take Euros since they probably get a lot of visitors from the rest of Europe?

Comment

A lot of locations that are in "border towns" will take both currencies... As a convenience.

When I visited my folks in Texas, we use to hop across the border to the market in Reynosa. EVERYTHING was priced in US dollars.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I thought I had heard that some Canadian businesses - mostly right across the border but perhaps in other places as well - also took American money? I could be mistaken.
          As with the U.K. example, stores in towns near the US/Canadian border will often take the other country's currency, but not coins. Your change will be in the currency of the country you are currently standing in. You can use US dollars in most places in Mexican border towns, but American places rarely accept Pesos.

I have seen foreigners in my US bank throwing a fit because they couldn't change money. Most US banks do not change currency at all, and if they do, it's only for good customers. Even then, there may be a minimum you can change and you may have to drive way the hell and gone to the only branch that does forex.

Comment

How does one change their money into US currency if not in a bank? I don't get out much, but back in the day when I did travel, I would always change my US money into the local currency at a bank because they gave the best exchange rates.

As someone who raises Monarch Butterflies from seed (no, that's not a typo, you have to plant milkweed to attract egg laying females because that is the only thing the caterpillars can eat.), When I saw the beautiful Mexican 50 Peso note celebrating Monarchs, I really wanted one and was disappointed to learn that the only way I could find to get one for my own was off ebay.

Give up the info, please and thank you

Comment

The easiest way to get local currency these days is to make a withdrawal from an ATM/cash machine using a debit card. You have to do some figuring to avoid bank service charges, but you usually get the bank exchange rate. In fact, in developed countries you can usually do just fine without ever having to actually trade a fistful of dollars, pounds, lira or baht for a fistful of some other currency.

International airports usually have currency exchange places, although the exchange rate can be terrible. Places that get a lot of foreign tourists often have an exchange bureau or two. In many undeveloped countries a bank is still the best choice in many cases. Or, for real fun, the black market.

Comment

Big stores in London probably will take Euros.Big attractions like Alton Towers might possibly. In towns like Dover or Folkestone,possibly. In your average country shop in the middle of England,nope. Anywhere south of Newcastle and they get funny about Scottish currency,let alone foreign stuff.
                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Slave....

Maybe contacting the Bank of Mexico direct?

For any comments,complaints or queries about banknote transactions,withdrawals or any bank note exchange services,contact us on dinero@banxico.org.mx

They may be able to arrange for you to buy some possibly and have them sent to you?

Comment

When my friend and his wife went to England last year, the travel agent told them the currency they would need and where to go to exchange if necessary. They just contacted their bank ahead of time to order an exchange, it took a few days but the bank was able to accomodate.

Comment

If all you want to do is to score a 50 peso note in decent condition, here are some ideas.

1. Is there a decent-ish Mexican population in your area? If there is a consulate, you could as them if someone has a bill they'd be willing to sell. I'd try calling first, and being very polite and emphasizing that this is not a joke.

Or, find one of those places that does remittances to Mexico. Ask if they have, or know someone who'd like to sell a bill. 50 pesos is about $2-3 now, Offer to pay more, maybe double the rate.. You may have to do a sales job to convince them you aren't some sort of government official looking for dirt.

2. Forget eBay. There are a lot of people who collect currency out there and a lot of places selling currency to them. Start in your own area. Look for coin shops and call to see if they also deal in currency.

The real currency collector wants a pristine bill, preferably signed in person by the President and the Pope. A coin shop might be stuck buying a bill in lesser condition in order to get coins or currency they really want. Ask if they have such a thing or if they'd be on the look out for you. They will probably be happy to unload it on you. You can also call dealers you find online.

If you are interested, you can also as a dealer if they know of other currency with butterflies. You might just decide to start a collection yourself.

Comment

Last time I was in Canada, I just went to the bank to trade in $40 American at a time for Canuck currency. No muss, no fuss. Hell, sometimes I was able to just buy a candy bar at the local gas station and get back Canadian currency for a $20 bill.

Comment

Went on a cruise of the Aegean a couple of years ago.

About a week before, I went down the street to my bank, took money out of savings, and asked the teller for *this much* in euro and *this much* in Turkish currency (can't remember the name).

Stopped by 48 hours later and picked up my cash. No problems at all.

Planning ahead. What a concept . . .

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                            Last time I was in Canada, I just went to the bank to trade in $40 American at a time for Canuck currency. No muss, no fuss. Hell, sometimes I was able to just buy a candy bar at the local gas station and get back Canadian currency for a $20 bill.
                            Most places in Canada are more than happy to to take US money, but pretty much always at a really crappy exchange rate. Often as bad as 1:1. And then take the US funds to a currency exchange place and trade each US dollar for $1.30 Canadian.
                            There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

I got more in Canadian currency via the bank than it was worth in U.S. dollars the last time I was there.

Comment

Why didn't I ask here first? You guys are always so helpful

I never thought to ask a coin dealer about getting one. My Online Boyfriend sent me a link to an article about Mexico's conservation efforts which is where I saw the 50 peso note, so I looked them up online, got a bunch of ebay listings which disappointed me to no end.

...so I asked my OB, who was a real coin collector to buy one for me in exchange for non-specified sexual favors at some indeterminate time in the future. (This was not using him, he loved coins and currency and seemed want/need to share his passion with someone else. I met him over 10 years ago and was his online girlfriend until he died. We both knew that sexual favors weren't going to happen, that was a running joke.)

I really was curious about how someone got local currency nowadays, though, and appreciate the answers. I will admit to having considered ATM machines, but had wondered if out of country bank cards would work in an ATM. Thanks for adding to my pool of information that I will never use!

Comment

Working...
                                X