X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's your reading level, isn't it?

This happened a couple weeks ago.

There's two double doors just past the restrooms that lead into the back area. There is one sign there that says, Employees Only. This is important to understand because there were two customers, one of whom was about to go through this door as I was on my way to the break room.

The woman who was with him was flipping through the pages of one of the five-minute storybooks from the book section. He turns to look at me and asks, "Is the auto center through here?"

I said no. Then he asked, "You can't get an oil change here? We really need to get an oil change here."

I told him no, there is no auto center at this store and you can't get an auto change.

"Do you know where we can go in town to get an oil change? We need one really badly." His girlfriend repeated this after I rattled the name of an auto parts store that I though might have a service center. I said once again that I really didn't know and I noticed that the guy was looking at his smartphone, which I thought he should be able to use to find such an auto place.

Now here's the thing. I know of a couple places down the street from me that do actual oil changes. I just couldn't think of them at the time because I don't drive and therefore I have never had to remember off the cuff where I would go to get an oil change. It wasn't something I was withholding out of spite, I genuinely didn't know at the time and when I walked by them on the way to work, I realized they were places that had been in town since before I was born and regretted not being able to at least answer the guy's question.

But here's the other thing. Beyond those doors, you cannot smell any of the smells one would associate with an auto service center. No car fuel, no sounds of tools, no revving, etc. There aren't customers coming and going through the doors, just employees. More to the point... there's no sign anywhere saying that the auto center is through there. Stores tend to be pretty thorough in directing customers to places.

Also, the places in my town, just down the street from where I work, advertise oil changes as one of the services they offer.

I don't drive but I can read. And that's when it occurred to me. She wasn't getting that book for a kid. That's her boyfriend/husband/whatever's reading comprehension level. It's the only explanation I have.
    Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

I hate when customers ask for stuff that my store doesn't do. I had a guy the other night at about 9 ask if there was anywhere around there that could change a burned headlight. There's an auto store quarter mile up the road that I think does it. And that's what I said "may". Then he starts getting pissy with me. Dude, I don't have a car and if I did I'm probably find a place on my own to fix it. Not a cashier in a pharmacy.
    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

We have people think they can get the service desk by strolling though the shop.
      AkaiKitsune
      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

We have clients constantly try to follow us through the clearly marked employee only entrance. They always get seriously butthurt when we send them to the public entrance. I really don't care if I am being rude or not, I point out the public door and then close my door in their face.

Comment

Quoth TheWolfEmperor View Post
          I told him no, there is no auto center at this store and you can't get an auto change.
          So it was a double fail, they couldn't read Employees Only, and they wanted a service your location doesn't provide at all. I wonder about people sometimes. Or all the time.

At the fabric store I usually didn't mind if people asked where they could get something that we didn't carry. I say usually... It was annoying when they wanted to know about a very specific item, or when they wanted to know how much something would cost someplace else. But if they asked me were they could find soap making supplies in town, okay I can tell them. The problem starts when they want me to give detailed step by step directions on how to get there. No, I tried to help, now you have to be a grown up and figure it out. Your phone will likely do it for you...
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

But

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
            We have clients constantly try to follow us through the clearly marked employee only entrance. They always get seriously butthurt when we send them to the public entrance. I really don't care if I am being rude or not, I point out the public door and then close my door in their face.
            If they don't go thru the door and get hit by something how are they going to sue you for a million dollars.

One thing I like about the Darwin Awards, sometime the people who refuse to look at the warning get their just deserts.

Comment

Working...
            X