This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will now deftly end this thread in a single stroke:

( Not for squeamish. It is only fear and terror that awaits you. If you're comfortable in the illusion mammals are at the top of the food chain, do not watch. <whimper> )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CL2hetqpfg

Do not click that if you value your faith in God or whichever deity you believe in, as that is a nightmare in video format. A friend of mine inflicted this vid on me and some other friends a while back and I was subsequently traumatized for life. You guys have reminded me of it. Thus I must share the fear and psychological scarring with you as it was shared with me. ><
    Last edited by Gravekeeper; 06-03-2007, 07:27 AM. Reason: To warn the unbelievers~!

Comment

Quoth Best Made Tacos View Post
      Another freaky story - we don't have many poisonous or large spiders in Victoria, where I live. Not many large spiders in Oz, full stop. However a friend of mine was once unpacking in a new house when she saw a spider with a black shiny carapace moving very fast across the floor - she tells me its body was 2 inches square, at least. They grab a street directory, which is bigger than an A4 sheet of paper and weighs about 3 kilos (3 inches high, too) and drop it on top of the beasty. Problem solved, right?
      Nooooo.
      The street directory rises off the floor and starts slowly moving towards the wall.
      crap.
      They killed it in the end but there wasn't enough left to identify it. But there's nothing that fits that description that is native to Australia. Scary.

......and now, an artistic rendition of me had I hit a bug with an object, only to have it lift it up and walk toward me:

Oh Bugger!
      "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
        I will now deftly end this thread in a single stroke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CL2hetqpfg
        Fair warning to everyone. The title for the video is "Giant Centipede Eating Mouse". You Have Been Warned.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
          Fair warning to everyone. The title for the video is "Giant Centipede Eating Mouse". You Have Been Warned.
          Yes, should have thrown the title in there, sorry.

I don't know where it lives but I hope to GOD its on the opposite side of the planet.
          That and camel spiders. Cus if that lives within 100 miles of me I'm buying a shotgun. ><

Gives me the crawlies. <shiver>

Comment

Another bug story.

Tonight while talking to the love of my life (ok i just have acrush on her, not my love) she said and i qouta 'Don't freak out but look at your right shoulder'
            I look
            HUGE BEE
            of course i scream
            I then make her get it off me
            Im still scared of work.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
              Another bug story.

Tonight while talking to the love of my life (ok i just have acrush on her, not my love) she said and i qouta 'Don't freak out but look at your right shoulder'
              I look
              HUGE BEE
              of course i scream
              I then make her get it off me
              Im still scared of work.

I do not like the stingers. I can deal with the biters. But the stingers? No, the stingers are air born and they make NOISE. Its harder to escape and harder to to defeat them. I just hold down L and R so I can try and escape. Unless you're inside, then there's no escape, you have to fight them. ><

Comment

Quoth B&NGoddess View Post
                ive been stting here reading this thread and scratching. and feeling things that arent there crawling on me. thanks alot guys.
                Me too! I'm sitting on the deck reading this thread and at the same time swatting at the various spiders I just *know* are crawling all over me. Of course there's nothing there, but quite creepy all the same.

Sign me up on the arachaphobe list and call me a sissy. One day I had to make a short trip to the store. The important thing to note in the story is that I hadn't gone anywhere in a couple of days and my car was parked in the garage with the windows cracked.

So I'm driving along, listening to some music when I start to see little crawly things. Whew - they're on the outside of the windshield. DAMN - no they're not, they're on the inside and they're everywhere!!! I glance around quickly while trying not to crash and see at least 100 baby spiders crawling in and around a very fine web on the inside of the windshield, on the top of the car by the sunroof, and even on the passenger seat.

Don't look down, don't look down....because I know if I look down and see even one of these spiders crawling anywhere on my body I will surely wreck the car, either into a tree on the side of the road or into an innocent non-arachnaphobe driving past me.

I finally made it the 2 blocks down the street to a gas station and literally jump out of the car. I went inside and frantically explained to the 2 guys behind the counter my dilemna, and asked if they had supplies to help me rid my car of the "family" living in it. They chuckled a bit but were nice enough to come out and help. A huge bottle of windex and a couple of rolls of paper towels later my car appeared to be driveable again. As soon as I got home I made hubby go over it again just to be sure.

I guess since the car sat idle for a couple of days a mama made her way in and gave birth/layed eggs/cloned all of these little spiders. Now my windows are always up (as if that even helps) and I do a once over on the interior before I'll even get in it.

Now if I can just shake off all of these little invisible spiders I feel in my hair/shirt/pants/arms/legs/feet/hands/neck/face I'll be good.

Comment

Quoth Bloodsoul View Post
                  Anyones else want to watch "Arachnophobia"? Or, to a lesser extent, "Home Alone"? XD
                  I'm quite fond of 8 Legged Freaks...
                  ludo ergo sum

Comment

Like my signature says, I love animals, there are only two animals in the world I dislike, cockroaches and maggots. For the rest, including insects I love all animals, I'm the kind who's always doing insect rescue, I pick them up, generally in my hands unless I know or am unsure if the insect has an irritant on it's exterior, and take them out to some good leafy area. All except ants, those ants came from somewhere and have a trail to follow back, if I move it, I'll just confuse the poor thing more.

I am known to put little dropplets of sweet soda or water with sugar in my fingertip to let bees lick it off my fingers, they're so sweet and cute. And I must say that wether I do NOT hold anybody's phobias against them, I felt a little sad every time I read on a spider being killed in this thread
                    I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Regarding bees: Unless you happen to run into an Africanized honey bee, you should not freak out around them. They're pretty mellow. It's when you freak out and startle them that they're likely to sting.

Regarding YouTube video: That is one huge-ass centipede. I'd guess it's from some rainforest somewhere. That's one of the many, many reasons I don't feel particularly interested in actually visiting a rainforest. I'll stick with my landscaped coastal desert. Most of our creepie crawlies & fliers are small and non-lethal.

More info and closeups of the Jerusalem cricket.

And for the curious: Camel Spider pics and info. It's an arachnid, but not actually a spider.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Cave (or Camel) Cricket. These buggers are (IME) almost impossible to kill (the one that showed up in my place once, we literally drowned it in Ortho Insta-Kill but if anything that made it more determined to go for us; it took 20 minutes trapped under a plastic container for the thing to finally die). If you squash them, the innards permanently stain whatever they come in contact with, and apparently are appetizing to others of the species (blech).

The college apartment block farthest back on campus also had fairly regular sightings of widows and what seemed to be recluses (which maintenance/facilities refused to do anything about even though many of us could tell them exactly where they were coming from and why).

I used to be severely arachnophobic when I was younger*; I'm now OK with spiders unless 1) they are shiny black or visually similar to a brown recluse 2) they are within ten feet of my bed or 3) the total size is larger than a nickel.

* This was our second apartment in Montpelier, which was above a pizza parlor. The neon sign was right under my window, but had a hood to block any light. That attracted gnats and in turn, spiders. One morning I woke up screaming bloody murder at a number of huge fugly brown house spiders on my walls, ceiling and dangling above my face. The attic trapdoor was also in my ceiling, but I'm not sure how they could have gotten through the 1mm seam around the edges.

Shortly afterwards, we began getting bats flying in through the skylights. I remember "training" at least one to make a beeline for the buffet in my bedroom
                        Last edited by Dreamstalker; 06-03-2007, 10:04 PM.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Anyone else reminded of the bug room in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? I'm guessing the giant centipedes in there are of this same variety.

I've seen a tarantula eat a mouse. I've seen a scorpion kill a wild gerbil. But holy crap!
                          "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

I'm gonna have nightmares for a week!

I'm such a girl when it comes to bugs. I don't like creepy crawlies..and as for any of those things that are really big...I am so glad I live in NJ. We don't have camel spiders and crazy huge ass fucking bugs. >_< (we have those wolf spiders and some other not-so-nice things in the woods...but nothing like those crazy ass images you guys were showing! Nothing I've encountered would live after being smashed with a book!)

GK, that centipede is scary! I think I'd have a serious flip out if I ever saw one of THOSE in my yard!

I liked Hawaii. They have no creepy crawlies there.

(can't get rid of crazy buggy images) >_<

Bliss- I know what you mean. I do love living creatures, so I try hard not to kill buggies. I figure if the bugs stay in their house, I'll leave 'em alone. If they come in my house they get squished if they can't be herded out the door/window. Of course, I don't usually do the actual squishing. I run and hide.
                            Since hunny is a little less squeamish than I am, the bugs are more likely to be put outside...unless they are a biter/stinger. Then all bets are off.
                            I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                              oh my christ that thing looks like a small mammal. i dont know why i keep reading this thread, it gives me the heebie jeebies every time. ive seen that centipede eating a mouse before and got maybe 5 seconds into it before i was so grossed out i couldn't watch anymore. blech.
                              Kim: She's got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

I'd like to exercise my constitutional right to not give a fuck.

Comment

creepy buggy things

Well, since this has turned into a 'creepy bug story' thread, I'll add my two . *waves at everyone* I'm new, mostly I just like reading, but I've had a few of my own experiences.
                                Anyway, bugs. When I was a kid, my family's favorite place to go when we were eating out was Sizzler's. My parents could get steak and shrimp, and us kids loved noshing out on the buffet. So I was sitting at our table and had just bitten into a necterine, and when I pull it away from my mouth, I find myself starting at this earwig that's emerging from a hole... 2 inches from my face! I did what any 11-year-old would have done, I shrieked and dropped it. My dad spots the bug and calmly reaches over and squishes it with a napkin. The servers came running over to see what the problem was. When I managed to gasp out about the bug, they quickly apologized and offered to give me my meal free. My dad, who is quite possibly the most un-sucky customer in the world, quickly assured them that it wasn't necessary, he wouldn't accept it; it wasn't their fault the bug was there, and with all the fresh fruit, it would be a surprise if one DIDN'T show up now and then. Then he told me to calm down and go get some pizza.

So if that didn't manage to traumatize me, the one many years later did. I was 21, living in Guatemala, working as a missionary. One morning, I put on a short robe and headed to take a shower. As I went outside to get the water (this was rural Guatemala) I felt a tickle on my leg. "Ants" I think, and brush at the fabric to try to dislodge them. A few seconds later, it's back, tickle tickle tickle... "Stupid ants!" I swat at the fabric now. A moment later I felt a sharp sting on my leg. Now they bit me! In anger, I shook the skirt of my robe... and out falls a scorpion! I didn't shriek this time, this was a scream that lasted almost a minute, until my roommate came out and squished it with a broom. We took the remains to a doctor and he confirmed it wasn't dangerous, but my first thought was "HOLY COW I'M GONNA DIE!!!!"
                                What a wonderful thing humanity is-- passionate, intelligent, inquisitive, generous, fully of hope and joy, noble of spirit, and above all... delicious! -- LaCroix

Comment

Working...
                                X