Dying Woman's Family Can't Wait to Get Her Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dying Woman's Family Can't Wait to Get Her Money

This week, we've been dealing with a family who is just champing at the bit to get at their mother/wife's checking account. The husband has called multiple times asking after her accounts. He know she has them, since the statements come to their house. But he's not on the account - not as a joint owner or as a beneficiary. Even if he was beneficiary, we wouldn't be able to tell him anything unless he brought in a power of attorney form or death certificate (after she dies, obvs).

He tells us she's in the hospital, and they don't expect her to last more than another day or two. Well, too bad. We can't tell you anything. He's not happy with that answer, so we direct him to the head of bookkeeping at the main branch. When he doesn't hear the answers he wants, he starts calling us again.

In between these calls, one of the woman's sons starts calling. Lather, rinse, repeat. We can't tell them anything because they're not on the account. If they want to get a power of attorney form signed, they can do that, assuming she's still able to sign. Otherwise, they can't access the account.

Today, the family tells us that she has died. That sucks, but all the family cares about is accessing the money in her account. We can't even tell them who the beneficiary is because of privacy laws. It turns out that the beneficiary is the woman's son-in-law. When her daughter died, she wanted her money to go to her minor grandkids, so she set her SIL as the beneficiary. Hopefully she told him about it, because it's not the bank's responsibility to contact him after she dies. He'll need to bring in the death certificate and sign to withdraw any remaining funds.

It's super disappointing that the woman's family has spent the last few days of her life arguing with us, the bank, about getting access to her money instead of spending it with her / preparing for her death. I get that they likely wouldn't be allowed at the hospital because of the pandemic, but spending that time on the phone with the bank trying to get us to break privacy laws is a waste of their time and energy. Spend that time with your family, ffs.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Note I am single and live on my own.

Two events dealing with death I had to deal with:

1) When my mother died she left a will that made it very clear who would and would not get her assets. I even had a little flak from one brother but her will was very clear so he had no choice. She even trusted me with a separate list of people she wanted me to give some money to. Of the twenty people listed I was able to find nineteen of them, I still have $5,000 for the one person no-one knows who she is.

But at her funeral reception I meet hundreds (yes, she knew a lot of people over the years), and all were telling me how sad they were and if I needed help.

Except one couple: The first words out of their mouth was "What are you going to do with your mom's jewelry? We have no problem selling it for you". Note not a word about her death or how I was feeling, just how much jewelry my mom had. VULTURES!

2) Second was my Aunt Poppy. She was a snow bird, she spent six months in Canada with us (mom and myself) and six months in Jamaica during winter months. Because she was away so much she put me on her account to handle her money while she was away. Each time she went to Jamaica she also took a couple of thousand of dollars in American Dollars. But on her last trip to Jamaica she got sick and died.

Because of when she died (close to Christmas) we found it impossible to get a flight down to go to her funeral. My mother called and since she was hard in hearing had the phone in speaker-free mode so I could hear everything. My mother asked for a phone number of a local florist, and they replied "Don't bother, just send us the money and we will take care of everything.". At which point my mother also asked about the money Aunt Poppy would have when she went down only to have them claim she had none. Funny that is I could see the money she had withdrawn from the account just days before she left.

We got pictures from the funeral service, flowers were just two orchids - read that again! Two orchids is all the money they would spend in a tropical country that is overflowing with flowers! Talk about cheap!

Then later they must have tried to access her bank accounts in Canada and got stopped. So they called me and asked for the bank details which I refused to give them at that time. Aunt Poppy had been automatically collect pensions for her old nursing jobs in England, USA and Canada and the latest money was in her account. I sent out death notices to all the required agencies and over the next two months notice they took back any extra money they had sent. If I had given the banking information to those greedy people guess who name being on the account would be libel for the money owned back to the governments.

Last but not less, my aunt always said she want to leave the house to the religious organization she belonged to but she DID NOT write a will, so the relatives got the house too.

ALWAYS HAVE A CLEAR WILL WRITTEN ABOUT WHO GETS YOUR ASSETS

Comment

You're reminding me of an elderly woman (93) down the street who I do typing and occasional tech support for. She had a son to whom she was planning to leave everything after her own passing (once final expenses are paid), but he died a couple of years ago, and she has yet to update her will, AFAIK. Her only other relatives I'm aware of are her siblings (of similar ages) and their descendants, almost none of whom live anywhere even remotely nearby, save for one.

On the upside, her will does specify who her executrix is to be (and a backup for them), but it still needs to be updated and have the new one signed and all that good stuff (I know about its contents because she had me copyedit and such in the past, while her son was still alive). Being as she's quite stubborn, fiercely independent (though in no condition to be self-reliant) AND quite forgetful, I'm not sure how to broach the idea of updating it and getting her to actually follow through (she has a decent-sized house and its contents, but that's about it). Note that she does have an attorney that she retains to help out, tho I don't have their contact info.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

When we were moving into our new house in 2012 I found my copy of the will I'd made in 1995. In 1995 I hadn't met my future husband yet, and I'd left money to a church I was no longer a member of, so I found a probate lawyer close to where I lived and updated it. It cost me a few coins, but I think it was worth it.

Comment

Yes, very wise move.
          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            Her only other relatives I'm aware of are her siblings (of similar ages) and their descendants, almost none of whom live anywhere even remotely nearby, save for one. {snip} I'm not sure how to broach the idea of updating it and getting her to actually follow through
            If anything, this is the right climate to be discussing this kind of thing. Point out that even with a living named executor, without any named recipients it'll still mean that everything ends up with the state. When I was looking at writing my will last year (I still need to get that finalised) I learned an awful lot more than I expected about the process... enough to convince me that I lost a fair amount when my dad died without a will and we basically let maternal parent keep everything, which has since prove to be an unmitigated disaster (as the lack of an affectionate term might have already indicated!)
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
              ... even with a living named executor, without any named recipients it'll still mean that everything ends up with the state.
              That depends on the local laws. Here in Minnesota, the executor (we call it personal representative) of the estate has huge leeway for what to do with the deceased's assets. They're supposed to be guided by the will, but they don't actually have to follow it most of the time. A personal representative has to be appointed by the probate court if the estate is over $75,000 or if the deceased owns real estate. But then that personal representative can do pretty much whatever they want with the deceased's stuff without any accountability to anyone, except when the estate is particularly complex.
              "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
              -Mira Furlan

Comment

Unfortunately, a death in the family, or an impending death like what is told in this story, brings out the true colors in many people. When my grandfather was dying, his daughter in law was trying to make us all believe what a saint she was by visiting him in the hospital every day and taking care of things at home. It turned out she was trying to snoop into his bank account, had been in the house snooping through his possessions (along with her future daughter in law, someone who wasn't even a part of the family yet), and using his credit card to eat out. After he had passed away, she was shocked to discover all that Grandpa had in his name was $200. To this day, I am sure she is still trying to unearth the millions that he "supposedly" stashed away somewhere.

Comment

My brother passed away September 8, 2021. He was only 60 years old and died of cancer. My SIL has told me stories of things said to her at the church where they were members that blew my mind, e.g. chastising her for having him cremated, where she should have the service and which order it should be in, etc. Bro wanted his memorial service to be held at the chapel of the nearly military base, since he was a 30+ year military member, so SIL arranged it with the base's chaplain. Then, when she told the people at their church about where the service was being held, a lot of the church people told her they wouldn't attend if the service was held on the base. Her reaction was, "Show up or not as you see fit." (She didn't word it like this, but I'm sure her meaning is clear.) The church's pastor, who she described as a "narcissist" got upset with her when he found out she was having someone else preach the memorial service. Bro had been a licensed ordained minister of this church, but Mr. Narcissist would never let him preach, probably because he was afraid Bro would get up there and preach a sermon straight from the Bible. My two sisters and I are going to the service, and we've already decided that anyone making negative comments about the service to our SIL will get their heads handed to them.

Comment

That's shameful enough all by itself. What do those people think they're going to get out of trying to control a funeral? It's your sister-in-law's right to pay her last respects to her husband in any manner either she chooses, or that he wanted and asked of her. Who do those people think they are?
                    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                      They're supposed to be guided by the will, but they don't actually have to follow it most of the time.
                      I guess it's that way in PA as well. When my grandma passed away last year, my mom was supposed to get half her money, and my brother and I each a quarter. My mom was in charge of things, and instead of doing it that way, she took it all, paid whatever taxes needed to be paid, and then gave me and my brother our shares as "gifts." It was over the threshold for an untaxable gift, so she split it so that some of it was coming from her, and some of it was coming from our stepdad, and then also gave us part of it last year, and then the rest this year.
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

On Labor Day weekend in 2000, I went to Chicago with my wife to visit a friend who's father was in ICU, an wasn't looking good. Not to long after we got there, the doctor had the family members all assemble into some kind of conference room. He just got surgery, and discovered the issue was a lot worse then they expected. They told us that from what they found it basically change the prognosis from 'less then 10% making it ' to 'it's now just a matter of time before he passes'. Not to long after that meeting, her friend, my Wife, and myself went into the fathers room ICU room for a little bit. He was unconscious when we went it, and I don't think he every regained conscious. We were in there about 30 mins or so, and left the room so other members could visit. When we stepped in the main waiting area. I heard her step mother going over with a brother on how much she was going to be worth after he passed. They had a folder out and was literately, added up the numbers in the waiting room.

Found out later, that at some point while they were married, the step-mother managed to convince her father to take my wife's friend out of his will and add her Daughter(His Step Daughter) into it.
                        Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

I'm surprised something like this didn't happen when my mother passed away some years ago, just because I do have some family that thinks they need to have a handout when someone in the family passes away. Some people are just nuts and too greedy.
                          Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

I am reminded of the movie Daddy's Dyin': Who's Got the Will?.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Due to the high risk sports I enjoy I've had a will set out since I was 12 (updated throughout the years of course as my 12yr old self had very different priorities then my current self.) But what little I have my family won't see a dime of unless they follow the actual will as there are checks and safeguards in place for the vultures. Any misstep or deviation from my wishes sees everything I own donated to charity. I may not be able to prevent the vultures from circling but I can certainly trap the corpse they plan to eat.
                              Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Working...
                              X