No, I am not taking $11 in change 10 minutes before closing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, I am not taking $11 in change 10 minutes before closing

Had a guy literally come in 10 minutes before closing and get mad that I wouldn't take his $11 in unrolled change.

Oh well dude, he does this all the time. He waits until just before closing to do it.

If management Wednesday tell me I have to I swear I might quit on the spot.

If management gets upset, remind them that they would end up paying you overtime for staying and see how quickly they try to find a way to save face and tell you not to take his coins.

Comment

He should come in first thing in the morning, when you probably will need the change.

Instead, the first customer of the day is the jerk who buys one candy bar and pays with a $100 bill.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I've been forced by circumstance to pay with large quantities of change before, but never at closing time. What's he trying to pull?
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
          I've been forced by circumstance to pay with large quantities of change before, but never at closing time. What's he trying to pull?
          Because it's late and almost closing, he knows the cashiers don't want to have to count out a bunch of change. So he's probably hoping to get the cashier to just accept his word that there's actually $11 in change in whatever he's passing over, rather than count it all out in front of him, because then it would reveal that amid the actual coinage that he's paying with, there are bus tokens, foreign coins, buttons, and washers.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

That part, we seriously need a like button.

Quoth Kristev View Post
            If he had come in earlier in the day it wouldn't have been a problem, just not 20 minutes before we close. My manager laughed and said good, because he does it all the time.
            Last edited by EricKei; 10-14-2021, 10:35 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

A Like button has been considered in the past (before my time). It's my understanding that it was decided that having that or a rating system (outside of specific parts of the board, which we do have for Jokes, e.g.) could be...problematic, if you catch my drift.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord ā€“ Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

<Like>

ā€œThere are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year oldā€™s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Kittykat View Post
                  Had a guy literally come in 10 minutes before closing and get mad that I wouldn't take his $11 in unrolled change.

Oh well dude, he does this all the time. He waits until just before closing to do it.
                  Take the passive-aggressive or malicious compliance approach.

Take your sweet time counting his money. Fifty pennies? count 1 per second. When it takes you 10 minutes to count his money, maybe he'll stop.
                  Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Actually at our shop we don't mind the people who give us a lot of change at the end of the day- once we've taken the takings out, we have our float to be made up.

If it's only Ā£20s and no Ā£10s,Ā£5s then the first person who comes in the next day and tries to buy something with a Ā£20 will end up taking all our money or we have to refuse the sale which annoys them.

Also if it's only him in the shop I will happily take the five minutes or so it needs to count out all his change to wind down the clock until the door closes.

*God bless the UK-our highest note is a Ā£50 and they're a bit like non-SCs. You hear rumours of their existence, but it's very rare to see one.
                    **Also God bless our shops here that out means out-when closing time comes those doors are closing and you will not be coming in. If you're inside you might get five minutes grace to buy your product and then you are going out too.
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                      <Like>
                      That'll do, Pants, that'll do.

(Ass. )

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                      once we've taken the takings out, we have our float to be made up.
                      Makes sense -- but keep in mind that KittyKat is talking about coin change. Likely pennies, nickels, and the occasional dime or quarter.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Draw out the count till closing
                        *shrug*
                        Sorry, the computer won't let us do any transactions now that's it is after closing time.
                        Shove it all back. Sorry.
                        AkaiKitsune
                        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. Iā€™m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

At least he didn't whine about how it's legal tender and you have to take it?

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                            Me too; but more often than not, I would do that at SCO, No problems there yet and a load off my pockets. Last summer, I overheard a cashier request some more quarters. I just happened to have a pocketful (they were leftover from a self-car wash) and bought (for want of a better term) a ten from her.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                              ...and bought (for want of a better term) a ten from her.
                              That is actually the term we always used in retail, regardless of the place

Comment

Working...
                              X